PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy an Accord

robbo19800
25-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Hello,
We are looking into buying an accord and have found one that seems quite nice. It is a 1998 V6 50th Anniversary Model.
The main concern i have is that is is an Auto, and although it seemed to drive fine when i took it for a run i am still a bit concerned.

I had a RACV vehicle check done on it today and the only problems that came up were-
Oil Moisture evident to rear of sump
Oil Moisture evident to transmission assembly.
Low speed wheel shimmy

apart from those few problems it seems to be in good condition overall and will be going into a honda dealer tomorrow to have a roadworthy inspection as well as a general check up.

I am wondering if there are any common places these engines leak oil from and if this is a cause for concern? I did check the driveway before and after driving the vehicle and there were no oil spots on the ground.

Any help would be much appreciated as i would like to have some info before i talk to the mechanic tomorrow.
cheers
rob

sugz
26-10-2007, 09:22 PM
i think the most common problem with the CG accord is the auto gearbox, make sure you get that check before you buy it...
dont wanna pay extra $$$ to replace or rebuild the box do we?!

ECU-MAN
28-10-2007, 08:57 PM
as sugz said

check the AT, 1st to 2nd gear change

SiReal
30-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Genuine Honda ATF works wonders with those dog boxes.

Merlin086
30-10-2007, 12:13 PM
That's the exact model I had.....10 stacker in the boot, rear wing, etc.....

The reason I sold mine was the dodgy gearbox, stuffed up at 95k.

I was quoted 3.5 -5K to rebuild a already dodgy designed gearbox.
NO thanks. Bye bye car!!

Don't do it.

Merlin086
30-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeh, damn shame the V6 didn't come in a manual, otherwise you could do a conversion if (when) the tranny dies.

Joeyboy
01-11-2007, 02:02 PM
Hiya robbo. I had a friend who had a CG (like the one u wanna buy) in auto and he had major problems with the auto gearbox. its up to u mate, but i've heard of other people that have had the same problem.

its something to ponder on anywayz.....

Aco3n
05-11-2007, 09:28 PM
mine at around 140k was starting to stuff up.. gear up a bit slumpy I might say.. other than that.. was a great car to drive around.. (if you dont mind with the fuel consumption)..