PDA

View Full Version : confused little anzac what model is my car???

mytoycivic
09-08-2004, 10:53 PM
im confused (what a surprise eh). i looked at the 'what civic do you drive?' section and it says that my 88 civic is a 3rd Gen, but everyone talks about the 12/87-91 models being 4th gen...WHAT'S THE STORY? because is mine a 3rd gen or 4th gen. btw on my chassis plate it has the chassis number and then ED3...is that 3rd gen? :shock: :shock: :shock:

mytoycivic
10-08-2004, 10:10 AM
anyone? i have searched so dont worry

[[d a n n y]]
10-08-2004, 10:38 AM
it's a 4th gen.

mytoycivic
10-08-2004, 05:39 PM
ok thanks heaps coz i was confused for a bit there. thats cool...

Setanta
10-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Squared off shape = 3rd gen, rounded chassis = 4th gen. If your chassis number is JHMED then it's a 4th gen "ED". You'll also hear people refer to it as an EF or an EE. This was the wierdest of all Civics in terms of designations. EE means it is a European Civic (RHD or LHD), ED is for the U.S., Australia and a lot of the Pacific region, EF means it was built for use in Japan only.

mytoycivic
10-08-2004, 10:53 PM
oh ok! wow thats really interesting. so if mine is jhmed....... then it was a US model... wierd cos its rhd! maybe someone should update the 'what model civic' or whatever it is sticky as it says that 88-91 civs are 3rd gen. just a thought...

Setanta
11-08-2004, 02:59 AM
JHMED means it is anywhere other than Japan or Europe. Yours is a Japanese built ED (for the Australian market. It's actually a stripped down JDM XT25 Hyper-carb. Basically that means it got the motor from the XT25, but didn't get the facelift nose (SiR style) or the really nice interior appointments.

Setanta
11-08-2004, 03:01 AM
oh ok! wow thats really interesting. so if mine is jhmed....... then it was a US model... wierd cos its rhd! maybe someone should update the 'what model civic' or whatever it is sticky as it says that 88-91 civs are 3rd gen. just a thought...

Ummm - no, 88-91 are 4th gens.

'73-'79 = first gen
'80-'83 = second gen
'84-'87 = third gen
'88-'91 = fourth gen (except the SiR which was '89-'91)
'92 -> who gives a f*ck... 4th gens are the pinnacle of the Civic tree ;)

Civic Type R
11-08-2004, 03:28 PM
and only post 94 civics feature in my DOHC-VTEC (http://www.dohc-vtec.com.au) website because they are the gens only worthy of a mention ;)

VTEChnique
11-08-2004, 03:31 PM
goto: www.vtechnique.com then browse to our tech section.. we DO try to cater for ALL Honda Civic Models since the "Z" including relatives of the civic like integra's etc.

Setanta
11-08-2004, 05:24 PM
and only post 94 civics feature in my DOHC-VTEC (http://www.dohc-vtec.com.au) website because they are the gens only worthy of a mention ;)

Bite me! EF9 > EK4 :D

mojo the flashy monkey
11-08-2004, 07:24 PM
so my car is a 4th gen

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jeffism-mycivic.JPG

KB
11-08-2004, 08:01 PM
we DO try to cater for ALL Honda Civic Models since the "Z" including relatives of the civic like integra's etc.

Speaking Of Vtechnique, Bede Can You update the members cars section? :D

My Car is a 1996 EJ1 Civic Coupe Vti, It has 15inch Integra Honda Mags and a milo tin. Ohh and its forest green not red anymore!!! remember I hit that pole and had to buy a new one. :shock:

Peace Bro

Kyle

Setanta
11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
so my car is a 4th gen

http://server6.uploadit.org/files/jeffism-mycivic.JPG

Yes - it's an ED 4th gen...

Here's my EF 4th gen:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~setanta/ef9/sirfrontquarter.jpg

Hmmm - maybe we should have stickied threads for post your "X" gen Civic... one for the 4th, 5th and 6th genners each.

Civic Type R
11-08-2004, 08:40 PM
why did u cover the plate with photoshop ?

.. ps. i like those rims - i had those :P

mytoycivic
12-08-2004, 10:50 AM
it got the motor from the XT25, but didn't get the facelift nose (SiR style) or the really nice interior appointments.

oh thats a disappointment! oh well sounds ok though. i am planning for a ZC engine probably instead of B16a and CRX dash and front seats
any other opinions?

Setanta
12-08-2004, 08:51 PM
why did u cover the plate with photoshop ?

.. ps. i like those rims - i had those :P

So that some low-life doesn't locate my address through the RTA etc and rip the car like happened to a friend of mine. Force of habit really.

Setanta
12-08-2004, 08:57 PM
oh thats a disappointment! oh well sounds ok though. i am planning for a ZC engine probably instead of B16a and CRX dash and front seats
any other opinions?

EF9 Civic seats > ED CRX... and you can get them through wreckers too ;)

ZC is a good swap and easier than the B16A (although the B16A has a better output). The only issue with the ZC is that you are going from 98ps to 130ps... is the difference worth the cost? Maybe as the motor will pull away quicker and has more aftermarket parts than the D15

mytoycivic
12-08-2004, 09:16 PM
yeh ok fair enuf. i really just want efi...simply for the smoothness and little more power...how mush do you think it will cost for a full conversion?>?>? i mean everything from engine to gearbox and control arms to brakes??? any ideas?

Setanta
13-08-2004, 06:54 AM
Easyly 1K to 1.5K for the parts - I think I was quoted 1500 4 years ago for an EF Si front-cut (gives you the ZC motor, gearbox etc) when I was going to do the conversion with my ED6 (Then I sold it to pay for the EF9). You will still need the Si rear disks and their trailing arms etc, and an EFi fuel pump (the one currently on your car will be useless) plus a surge tank. You'll also need a new exhaust system, timing belt etc - possibly even a new clutch.

Call it close to 2.5K in parts at least. Most will bolt over, throw in another 400-600 for an auto electrician to merge the harnesses etc.

mytoycivic
13-08-2004, 10:01 AM
i dont know **** all how to put one together though, i mean i know some components but not the whole thing!!! should i gt a shop manual and do it that way? together with that and my brother im sure we would be able to make something fit, or should i cut my losses and pay someone to do it for me??? how much extra do you think it would all cost me in the end???
thanks mytoy