PDA

View Full Version : compressor wheel bent and oil in BOV

OzSir2
26-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Hi,

I have a 2nd hand turbo which is yet to be installed. The compressor wheel fin is bent as you can see
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/OzSir2/Turbo/DSCF3875.jpg
Can I leave this...or can I bend it back myself...or does a pro need to fix this by bending it back...or by replacing the wheel...and approximate costs?

Also there is black oil (I think engine oil) in the BOV.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/OzSir2/Turbo/DSCF3886.jpg
I read on the net that it could be due to bad turbo seals or from the PCV...but the air intake arm does not have a nozzle for the PCV...so I don't think it's this. There appears to be no shaft play in the turbo...so what I CAN see seems fine.
Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Killa From Manila
26-10-2007, 06:58 PM
oil in the bov :S is there any oil in the vacume line?

OzSir2
27-10-2007, 09:14 AM
The advice I got from 2 repairers listed on the garrett turbo site says it should be fixed as well. There is no vaccuum line so I don't know if there's oil in it. But I also noticed oil in the intercooler thereby suggesting bad turbo seals as well.

tekung89
27-10-2007, 05:20 PM
=/ i say pull that turbo apart jus for fun and throw it away. as for oil in the bov, maybe its from the vacuum line, or is there oil in the IC pipes O.O and for ur compressor wheel lol it looks like u could either have alot of shaft play from worn out bearings or a pebble got sucked in. all in all jus throw the turbo away to be safe

DLO01
27-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Its obviously not a good thing man. Both the compressor wheel and the oil in the intake. I would hate to say the turbo is stuffed to get oil in the intake ike that, but it very well maybe.

What pees me off though is the person on these forums that sold you the setup. I just love it in his Ad/photo how it hides the bent blade, so you obviously cannot see it. And also:

Purchased kit of a friend of mine who used this kit for only 2000km's..

Yeh, sure he ony used it for 2000kms, but the person before used it for 200 000kms plus. What a load of crock.

Did he tell you of the damage? Did he tell you of the oil in the intake, intercooler, bov etc? I guess not, otherwise you would not have bought it.

I would be having some tough words with this guy man. I would not take it if he put this over you. If he sold you this without telling you hes a very sad person. :thumbdwn:

Killa From Manila
28-10-2007, 09:28 AM
is that bov installed in ur car yet or did u receive it only to find oil leaking out?

DLO01
28-10-2007, 10:42 PM
He received it like that.

NeRV
28-10-2007, 11:23 PM
That is bullsh*t steve!... hope you get your money back :thumbdwn:

OzSir2
28-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for your concerns. I have corresponded with the seller and thankfully he/she has offered to sort out the repair on the turbo. I'll keep you updated.

aimre
28-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Pretty dodgy with the photos

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/john1984/3-2.jpg

creativepunka
03-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Thats not bent from shaft play, its had a stone or other object sucked in. When they get excessive shaft play the wheel scrapes on the housing and wears it down giving it a slightly melted look. you could use it but imo it wont last long as the compressor wheel will be out of balance and it will give you excessive side shaft play. Also its normal to find oil in you cooler piping and slight amount out the bov with a used turbo, if you dont have smoke or excessive oil consumption dont worry bout it.

aimre
04-11-2007, 10:39 PM
get your monay back is my vote. Did u not see this when u bought it?

onlykillzz
04-11-2007, 10:50 PM
open the compressor housing and see if there is oil in there if there is the turbo has had it and thought would also be the reason for having oil in your bov its moved up and through the compression chamber....