PDA

View Full Version : DC2R a 'high-powered' vehicle for P plates?

pop
28-10-2007, 11:52 AM
In Victoria, the rules state that a P-plater must not drive a high-powered vehicle with a power-to-weight ratio of more than 125kw per tonne. The specs of a DC2R are:

Engine: B18C7 1.8L DOHC VTEC, 141kW@7,900RPM

Weight: 1,087Kg

Does this mean that P-platers cannot drive DC2Rs?

!JonZap!
28-10-2007, 12:06 PM
technically yes

IEVAQ8
28-10-2007, 03:54 PM
i drove mine no probs...........
look i got puled over to check rego and shit, but never questioned me about power to weight........at the moment in vic, if you drive a v8 or a turbo on your p's, thats what there looking for.........they wont do you for power to weight in a dc2r.............
by the way my dc2r is yellow so it stands out like dogs balls........and i never ever got a fine like that for over powered vehicle...............
and i have vafc2 on the dash........18's, exhaust, slapped with coilovers......

garett
28-10-2007, 03:57 PM
it was better before than it is now..

they are sposed to be cracking down big time on it.. so id be careful if i were you..

they arent just looking for turbos or V8s as you know your car is as quick as both them.. my friends pretty much stock EF8 crx is as fast as another mates stock s14, also traffic cops arent stupid. many are car enthusists

Kiki
28-10-2007, 04:17 PM
No you will b fine to drive an integra type R ......i got off my P's in august and never once was questioned about the power/wight....

The new civic Type R is also fine for P' platers

Im not sure about for when this new P plate thing comes in tho....but if u have ur P's now you will b fine

Diablo6298
28-10-2007, 05:03 PM
The new civic Type R is also fine for P' platers

cause a p plater can afford a new civic type r =P

1996ek1
28-10-2007, 06:21 PM

They can if their dad has alot of money.....
Like my cusin....

He got his L's and his dad bought him a Type R 2 hours later....
and Chris_typer he on p's lol.

kendc5r
28-10-2007, 07:07 PM
In Victoria, the rules state that a P-plater must not drive a high-powered vehicle with a power-to-weight ratio of more than 125kw per tonne. The specs of a DC2R are:

Engine: B18C7 1.8L DOHC VTEC, 141kW@7,900RPM

Weight: 1,087Kg

Does this mean that P-platers cannot drive DC2Rs?

As you stated, P platers are not allowed to drive a high powered vehicle. If you do the maths:

(141/1087)x1000=130kw

For easy calculations you can visit here:

http://webapps.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/vrcalc.nsf/pwcalc?OpenForm

So yes it is illegal. However, in saying that - sure you can drive it, and get it registered etc no problems.

But if you are unlucky enough to get pulled over and get busted, accept it because you took on that responsibility when deciding to drive the car

Its like driving whilst on the phone and etc. So when you make your decision, be sure to consider the pros and cons of it.

PS: I am not encouraging or telling you what to or not to do, but just letting you know so that you are well aware of the consequences and responsibilities associated with your choices ;)

IEVAQ8
28-10-2007, 09:40 PM
the other thing that you can question is the fact that the weight that you claim on the rego sticker is not the actual weight, my mate had a stock vs senator (i know its another car but same theory) it was a 215kw manual one, he got done for power to weight, he toild the copper he wasnt gonna pay it.
he took his car to the weigh bridge got a print out and asked the service guy to sing it for him and then took it to the cop shop, they checked it and it passed, so dont be fooled the weight on your rego sticker is tare, which is bare weight, no fluids, no fuel, just bear car. i bet if you went and filled the cvar with fuel, and then put it on a weight bridge it wont add up to your sticker weight.
like my dc2r, i had full tank of fuel, and myself (75kgs) the car came in at 1220kgs..............u guys do the maths.

pop
28-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks IVAQ8

ZeForce
28-10-2007, 09:55 PM
also traffic cops arent stupid

Thats gotta be a typo :confused:

16CTEG
28-10-2007, 10:17 PM

my sister's got one she just turned 18 :p

Dr.k20z1
29-10-2007, 12:29 AM
phew lucky these laws havent reached brissy yet haha im on my red p's aswell woo :D

just buy a DC5S dw abt the DC2R hehehehehehheheheh ;P

evoo
29-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Even if you get pulled over just say its a Base model integra... say you riced it up for the Type R effect =] or u can do the same with a VTI-R

rikstar
29-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Even if you get pulled over just say its a Base model integra... say you riced it up for the Type R effect =] or u can do the same with a VTI-R

Haha good one!

If you drive like a normal person and don't hang around the trouble spots they shouldn't have any reason to pull you over. But then again some cops just don't have anything else better to do...

AzKik-R
02-11-2007, 07:21 PM
hmmm, perhaps a good reason to change your badges to gsi? or something else?
would the police put your car on a dyno? you could say you have detuned the fuel pump so that the power regulations are not exceeded?
or say its not a real type r engine, its just a red cover?

Andw0o
02-11-2007, 07:52 PM
i dont think the cops would care if u said all of the above, coz if they have pulled you over to say that ur over the power to weight ratio; more likely then not ur driving off with a fine. Up to you if u wanna appeal that like someone else said go to a weight bridge or watever. the questions been answred.
Yes its illegal, No it wont stop others from driving it on their P plates. Up to u man. Victoria cops can take ur car away if they suspect u of hooning ahahah

AzKik-R
02-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I think my query is more that there are 2 factors in question here, one being the weight which has been covered, but what about the power? would'nt they legally need to dyno your car to prove that your car is putting out the illegal kw's? or is it just like drinking and driving they're no longer required to prove that your blood/alky levels are over limit?
someone should start a case
put on some type-r stickers for a non-vtec integra see if you can get pulled up in your p's and then take it to court that your car doesn't put out the illegal kw levels, maybe it'll cut you guys a break, and they may lift the law
or worst case scenario, they make it stricter :(

IEVAQ8
02-11-2007, 10:56 PM
^^^^ if only iut was that easy, the cops will go by hondas sp[ecified weight........141kw..............so like i have mentioned earlier, if the book says power to weight p platers cannot drive it they will book you, but again my mate scenario he told the cop he wouldnt pay it as his car did meet the requirement for p platers to drive it and took it to a weigh bridge and then straight to the cop shop, even if the car is modified with headers exhaust and intake and makes more power than stock, they can only go by the standard honda power figure.

Barge Ass
03-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I got pulled over by police coz I took off at the lights a little fast. When they asked me why I was driving and to where I replied "I'm just driving it's a drivers car." The cop looked at me funny and said "Mate it's a ****in' Honda Integra." Case closed they don't know/suspect/care about these things. Maybe I asked to get owned with the comment but it puts my mind at ease.

I think 1087kg is for a non AC/radio and rear wiper DC2R right??

onlykillzz
03-11-2007, 05:15 PM
I got pulled over by police coz I took off at the lights a little fast. When they asked me why I was driving and to where I replied "I'm just driving it's a drivers car." The cop looked at me funny and said "Mate it's a ****in' Honda Integra." Case closed they don't know/suspect/care about these things. Maybe I asked to get owned with the comment but it puts my mind at ease.

I think 1087kg is for a non AC/radio and rear wiper DC2R right??

wots funny is most yobo cops think a fast car is a holden VN or ford but what they don't no is that honda's are fast because there light and rev high use that to yuor advantage its not a hoon car if its got 4 cylinders and revs over 4800 safely lol

AzKik-R
03-11-2007, 05:51 PM
interesting that they dont target torque to weight ratios? are they targeting jap cars?

90LAN
03-11-2007, 05:55 PM
they will only pull u over if u have big chrome wheels,loud stereo, dumped suspension, loud cannon exhaust, neons, body decals, stupid bodykits, big racer wings, hid lights, and blonde hair and big ****!!!!
move up to qlds u will be right on your p's

DiMmY
04-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Err, I thought the power to weight ratio law was removed and replaced by the even more nazi no turbo, v8 or superchargers...

Malenic1981
05-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Well when I had my DC2R my insurance costed more due to DC2R being marked as a high performance car in their books, some companies didn't even want to give me insurance because I was under 25 so I guss law could follow this path

AzKik-R
06-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Err, I thought the power to weight ratio law was removed and replaced by the even more nazi no turbo, v8 or superchargers...

definitly time to change state!!! vic govt suk

hmmm, do they take into consideration the weight of the driver? or if there are passengers?
(sorry just digging for loop holes)

DiMmY
06-11-2007, 06:30 PM
definitly time to change state!!! vic govt suk

hmmm, do they take into consideration the weight of the driver? or if there are passengers?
(sorry just digging for loop holes)

Irrelevant anyway, as if you got your P platers AFTER July 1st 2007, you are under the new restrictions (no turbo/v8/superchargers), but before, you're still under the old 125kW/tonne rule.

And from my calculations, the Type-R is 130kW/tonne, so it would be illegal. As far as I know, it's only the vehicles weight that is taken into consideration.

I'm a little annoyed that the next stage of limitations that Vic is introducing, happens to be 3 months before I get my P's, how's that for crap? (Green/Red P system is being phased in July 08, I get P's Oct 08) For that 3 months, I get 1 year extra on my P's. Yippee!

string
07-11-2007, 12:02 AM
interesting that they dont target torque to weight ratios? are they targeting jap cars?
No they are targeting fast cars.

Acceleration is a function of the ammount of energy delivered to the pavement; of which peak power is of far more significance than peak torque.

rvong
07-11-2007, 12:30 AM
the police really have no clue when it comes to type r's. only thing they know how to pull over are the turbo cars.

yfin
07-11-2007, 06:53 AM
not worth the risk - just get a different car!

Crash a car you are not allowed to drive on Ps and you run the risk of your insurance company saying they will not pay the claim.

Jaso
07-11-2007, 09:44 PM
There are some cars you can get that slip under the radar. E.g. in NSW R32 Golf (but not GTi lol) FN2R, S2000, SV6, XR6 etc not sure about vic.

When calculating power:weight is it factory specs or is it based on the actual car?

Ray_mon
07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
There are some cars you can get that slip under the radar. E.g. in NSW R32 Golf (but not GTi lol) FN2R, S2000, SV6, XR6 etc not sure about vic.

When calculating power:weight is it factory specs or is it based on the actual car?

also the SZ and SZ-R range of supras are allowed. I'm eyeing out for a 96+ SZ-R and selling my dc5 to my dad.

geeang
27-03-2009, 04:56 PM
well just dont overdo it with ur car to draw attention and u wont get pulled over, cops are ignorant they think that commodores and falcons are the best and hondas are shit cause they have 4 cylinders, so it shuldnt matter

So you bumped a thread from 2007 just to say that, when everyone else in this thread has already said it?

Geez, noobs these days.

YOSH_DC2
04-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Also for the insurance, as a P plater wouldnt you, well most likely regiester your car under your rents , i know the car wouldnt be yours but for insurance wise its alot better as you save cash and insurance would now repair the damages since its registered under a fully licensed person

string
04-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Insurance is usually priced based on the youngest driver. If you don't get listed on the policy (i.e. you want a reduced premium) you end up getting slogged with an unlisted driver excess if you claim. Plus you don't build up a no-claim-bonus since it's not in your name.

chunky
04-04-2009, 11:28 PM
lol buy a type R and take some mods off so it is 125kw

trism
05-04-2009, 01:58 AM
lol buy a type R and take some mods off so it is 125kw

there you go shooting your underage mouth off again

people are so fcuking ignorant and just spout shit out to get people to listen to them, and some of the stories int his are complete and utter bullshit

it goes off the factory weight and power. doesnt matter if you detune it, the factory says its 141 kw, even if youre making 70kw, its illegal.

your car weighs a certain amount, even if you fill it up with lead and concrete it still goes off teh factory specs.

FASN8U
06-04-2009, 08:04 PM
lol theese threads are so stupid , the cars illegal thats been established . theres alot more to worry about than a cop pulling you over and giving you a 500$ and taking 3 points when your insurance WONT cover you for the car you destroyed because you shouldnt be driving it. and then we wont have to read another thread bitching about how insurance wont pay out cause im a jackass