PDA

View Full Version : does changing a steering wheel stuff the 4WS

ang920
28-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi all,

I have a 94 honda prelude si, and i have bought a mugan steering wheel to fit my lude, i have had the worst trouble in finding a boss kit though, that will fit my car. I have been through 3 boss kits and all have been wrong but lucky enough i have got one that fits but need to be all re-wired as the boss kit is from japan. But anyway what im wanting to know is if putting a new steering wheel on my lude will it stuff up at all with the 4WS????

Look forward to hearing answers!!!

NSPYRE
28-10-2007, 08:42 PM
i really cant see how it would

ECU-MAN
28-10-2007, 09:10 PM
if it doesnt drive the front main stearing angle sensor then it will.

the colum is tapered and the sensor needs to be pressed onto the colum by the wheel. if the sensor gets out of alighnment no more 4WS

ang920
28-10-2007, 09:28 PM
if it doesnt drive the front main stearing angle sensor then it will.

the colum is tapered and the sensor needs to be pressed onto the colum by the wheel. if the sensor gets out of alighnment no more 4WS

so is there anything i should say to my auto electrician about this?

Mr_will
28-10-2007, 09:46 PM
so is there anything i should say to my auto electrician about this?

what ecu man said is correct, but honestly if your auto electrician isnt familiar with the type of car he is working on, to know about such issues then i would be searching for another auto electrician.

im not saying he is incompetent, but what you really want is someone who has done this sort of thing before - there are other cars out there with 4ws, eg mx6, some skylines/silvias and im sure there are others too. they might not all work in the same way, but then again, they might.

ECU-MAN
28-10-2007, 10:05 PM
as above,

what can you say to him other than dont f*** up my 4ws system

simply that sensor and the colum cannot be moved when the wheel is off, and it must move when then new wheel is installed in tandum with the colum.

ang920
29-10-2007, 12:40 PM
what ecu man said is correct, but honestly if your auto electrician isnt familiar with the type of car he is working on, to know about such issues then i would be searching for another auto electrician.

im not saying he is incompetent, but what you really want is someone who has done this sort of thing before - there are other cars out there with 4ws, eg mx6, some skylines/silvias and im sure there are others too. they might not all work in the same way, but then again, they might.

thank you, and yes i will ask him if he has done one before that has the 4WS. Lets hope he has...thanks heaps

bo279
31-10-2007, 11:26 AM
back in the day, i had a gen3 prelude n changed the steering wheel on that and everything works fine. Only thing i lost was cruise control as the controls was located on the steering wheel.

ang920
31-10-2007, 01:01 PM
back in the day, i had a gen3 prelude n changed the steering wheel on that and everything works fine. Only thing i lost was cruise control as the controls was located on the steering wheel.

Thanks, good to know.....i dont care about loosing the cruise control as i never use it.. So the 4WS worked fine after the change? no problems at all?

bo279
02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
not a single problem....

in fact...it probly made it easier to park the car...with the smaller steering wheel...it seems like u have to turn the wheel less..=D

ang920
02-11-2007, 03:55 PM
not a single problem....

in fact...it probly made it easier to park the car...with the smaller steering wheel...it seems like u have to turn the wheel less..=D

TRUE.......LOL..... thank you heaps. Cant wait to put it on.:D

!JonZap!
02-11-2007, 10:59 PM
3rd gen has mechanical 4ws and 4th gen has electronic 4ws. 3rd gen doesnt screw up like 4th gen. If you buy a proper HKB bosskit made in Japan that is designed for this specific vehicle with the intention of keeping 4ws and cruise control then you wont have a problem but if you buy a crap ebay copy, you will have problems.

ang920
03-11-2007, 05:05 PM
3rd gen has mechanical 4ws and 4th gen has electronic 4ws. 3rd gen doesnt screw up like 4th gen. If you buy a proper HKB bosskit made in Japan that is designed for this specific vehicle with the intention of keeping 4ws and cruise control then you wont have a problem but if you buy a crap ebay copy, you will have problems.

Hi,

yeah i got a hks bosskit from japan that has the cruise control...very expensive boss kit. But im not worried about loosing the cruise control, i just dont want my 4WS to stuff up. So thank you for letting me know that. I noticed you have 94 lude, have you at all changed your steering wheel or is it stock still?

Bob
06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I suggest you find the online manual for the 4th gen lude. Read up on calibrating the 4WS sensors.

Change the steering wheel, follow the procedure and all sorted. The guys on Prelude Australia might be able to help out further.

And yes the 3g has nothing in common with the 4th gen when it comes to 4WS.

!JonZap!
07-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Hi,

yeah i got a hks bosskit from japan that has the cruise control...very expensive boss kit. But im not worried about loosing the cruise control, i just dont want my 4WS to stuff up. So thank you for letting me know that. I noticed you have 94 lude, have you at all changed your steering wheel or is it stock still?

yes, hkb boss kit with momo race wheel

ang920
08-11-2007, 09:25 PM
yes, hkb boss kit with momo race wheel

nice, yess i have the hkb boss kit....mugan steering wheel:)