PDA

View Full Version : component speaker installation question

pgor
29-10-2007, 12:00 AM
hey, i had replaced my front speakers with component speakers in a 1997 civic. But one thing that i noticed is that the magnet on the woofer was too big so i had to cut the plastic that encloses the speaker from behind. Does this affect the quality of the sound? is it better to have the area behind the speaker more enclosed? i had already dynamat my doors.

teh_mechanic
29-10-2007, 03:34 PM
6 inch etc. speakers are normally made to use the inside of the door skeleton as a makeshift enclosure. Putting them in their own small box or creating airtight sealed sections to install them in the door creates 'boominess' in the upper bass

aka_NSX
29-10-2007, 08:19 PM
u can cut the plastic but try to put some dynamat on the inside metal right behind the magnet or u can get the Focal plainchant

sik-vic
31-10-2007, 06:15 PM
personally id just chop the hole plastic casing right out and use were the plastic mounts to thee door as your base for your speaker mount. put some foam around the rim of the speaker and do it up nice and tight to flatten the foam, that way its a nice seal and your using your hole door as an enclosure.
ive done this on many installs and it sounds great especially if you have already dynamat the door

ICACHA
31-10-2007, 08:36 PM
chop chop, plus on one we just finished, we cut the metal also to allow the speaker to actually work rather than the metal cause reflections. but thats more of a pro style job rather than diy...

this is what we also did in the boot...

IZY-10
31-10-2007, 09:39 PM
should be fine just ensure there is no contact with the cars chassis as it will effect the speaker performance. Should of just added a homemade plywood gasket in between the plastic and the speaker.

EM1David
01-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Depends on what speakers u have also. few years ago when I had my EK. I did the same, the pastic acts as a umbrella as such to keep the water off the speaker. If you do remove it I would recommend making a custom shroud to keep any water off as it will stuff up your cones if they are made of paper.

Its pretty easy to do. Cut plastic / disposable bowls in half then fibreglass it using it as a mould.
But if you dont care for the terminals to rust and u have pastic or fibreglass cones then its ok.

ICACHA
01-11-2007, 11:58 PM
or you could use the trusty vasoline on the terminals, works a treat. just dont get caught using it with your mates around, they might have alterior motives when they see you with the vaso :P

ekdez
02-11-2007, 12:37 AM
dude to be honest with you.. you wont notice the difference unless you was some musical dude.. who knows the difference in tones when u hear the pitch of an a string being played... its all the same when its turned up... unless u listen to classic music in the car???

i cut holes in my front doors.. for my front splits.. to allow for the maggy cos it was to large.. and it runs fine.. sounds exactly the same when turned up :) + i got noting in the door to make it sound better just a stock door which is plastic.. it doesnt rattle or ne thing :)

shinji112
02-11-2007, 08:50 AM
yeah i had to cut mine too.. but they are still too big in diameter! need to go to town on my door trim with a dremel to give it a finishing touch but i'll do that in a few weeks time and tuck my wires properly! but sound quality is so much btr now!

sik-vic
02-11-2007, 09:44 PM
.. its all the same when its turned up

no it aint :p

smoove
16-11-2007, 01:06 AM
sorry to jump in but i'd like to clarify if a 6.5" speaker will fit in the standard EK door without modification... just talking diameter + lining up with the screws..
i'll worry about depth myself ;)

ICACHA
16-11-2007, 11:44 PM
factory is 6 inch, not 6 1/2 inch :) clarified :D

funkdr
17-11-2007, 10:56 PM
nice boot install icacha i likey:thumbsup:

smoove
26-11-2007, 11:32 AM
well - got an interesting note - i recently went out to look for 6" splits for the door, but found a cheap set of Clarions from Lifestyle Audio ($99)...6.5"... and these fit perfectly in stock location without any modification whatsoever (depth is exactly perfect)...
they're pretty entry level but perfect for what i wanted as they have an inline split, rather than a seperate box which means i don't have to find a place to mount the box... sound quality is decent too, not as bassy as my rockfords and a little too bright + chirpy on the tweeters, but after a bit of tuning sound awesome

ICACHA
26-11-2007, 07:43 PM
yep, they sure sound like entry level :D

as long as you're happy with them :p

smoove
26-11-2007, 08:38 PM
haha yehh i am happy - everythin nice n cheap and still pumps hard
i've got rockford splits in my s15 and the difference is only heard when you turn it up loud... i guess if i also went through the proper sound deadening on install it would have made more of a difference... but me = lazy