PDA

View Full Version : Weird noises

insanesam
29-10-2007, 08:52 AM
When my car is idling neutral at a stand still i hear this rattling kind of noise. Initially i thought it was coming from the panel under the steering wheel but after looking into it more deeply i realised it was coming from under the car.
However if you give the car a little gas the noise goes away for about 5 seconds or so then it returns.
Another weird noise i have is sort of a ticking sound whilst driving. The noise is more prominant when you drive along a barrier or something or in a tunnel (eg M5 where the sound doesn't get a chance to escape). The noise is similiar to that of made by the wheel on the gameshow Wheel of Fortune when the wheel is passing along that dial thing which ticks/clicks. Anybody know the sources of these noises or have had similiar experiences?

aaronng
29-10-2007, 11:00 AM
The rattling could be your cat's heatsheld. Check it out.

The ticking sound, does it increase with RPM or with speed? If with speed, it could be a hub bearing. What year is your car?

insanesam
29-10-2007, 12:02 PM
The rattling could be your cat's heatsheld. Check it out.

The ticking sound, does it increase with RPM or with speed? If with speed, it could be a hub bearing. What year is your car?

Where do i find this heatshield?
Yeah i think it increases with speed. Initially i thought there maybe a nail stuck on my tyre with the head sticking out but this wasn't the case.
My car's an 05 Lux 6MT.

Thanks

aaronng
29-10-2007, 02:32 PM
If it increases with speed, then it is not the heatshield. Check your tyres for a nail or stone. If you can't find it, then you'll have to get the dealer to check it out as you are under warranty anyway.

insanesam
29-10-2007, 02:46 PM
If it increases with speed, then it is not the heatshield. Check your tyres for a nail or stone. If you can't find it, then you'll have to get the dealer to check it out as you are under warranty anyway.

Think i was a bit vague with my previous post.
I am getting 2 separate noises, one when engine is idling (which is that rattling sort of noise but goes away temprarily when given a little gas) and the other noise is when driving along i hear that ticking/clicking sort of a sound.

tony1234
29-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I am getting 2 separate noises, one when engine is idling (which is that rattling sort of noise but goes away temprarily when given a little gas) and the other noise is when driving along i hear that ticking/clicking sort of a sound.
As Aaron said it sounds like the cat heatshield rattling on idle,it must be loose,the other noise is like you said something stuck in one of your tyres,this would explain why the faster you drive the faster it makes the clocking sound.

aaronng
29-10-2007, 03:39 PM

Yup, like what Tony said. :)

EuroDude
29-10-2007, 06:37 PM
Ticking~
Have a look around the brake calipers, there could be a stick or something wedged in there somewhere. Jack the car up and rotate each wheel, listen for noises.
Or if you use power steering a lot whilst the car is standing still, perhaps the CV joints have worn already. Or a wheel bearing has failed.

Rattle~
The rattle could simply be a loose screw or object in the car somewhere, i.e. in a door, or in the wheel well at the rear.
Also check the compartments in the cabin, perhaps its just a 5c coin in the door compartments or something

tron07
30-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Tapet noise?