PDA

View Full Version : Wind Noise, front doors........

LXRY
29-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I've been getting wind noise/coming through my front doors, thought it was due to tint company changing my door trims to prevent scratching of tint.......but it's not actually coming from the windows, it's coming from top of the door area (door seal). The funny thing is it only started when they (tint company) re-tinted my car and changed trim.

Anyone know how to fix this or what they could of done ?

Real irritating :( Any help much appreciated ;)

r-r-redEuro
29-10-2007, 10:00 PM
maybe its the tint film that was put on probably wasnt sealed properly, i read ages ago that its a common problem for other euro members.

shadou
29-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Why didn't you get factory tint? Bring it back and complain

LXRY
29-10-2007, 10:15 PM
maybe its the tint film that was put on probably wasnt sealed properly, i read ages ago that its a common problem for other euro members.

It's no where near the window, towards the top of the door(s), when i put my arm up there I can hear less wind noise

I got the tint done through my original dealer where I bought my car, Ive already been back twice :(

tanalasta
29-10-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm still inclined to think it is the tinting and that they may have bent your seals (window or door or otherwise) during installation.

In any event, let us know what your dealer thinks under warranty. My euro has the same issue.

yfin
30-10-2007, 05:49 AM

there is no such thing as factory tint

lxry it does sound like the seals are not on properly

LXRY
30-10-2007, 03:15 PM
there is no such thing as factory tint

lxry it does sound like the seals are not on properly

Thanks yfin I'll keep that in mind when i take it to the dealer on Thursday...............Hi BTW :wave:

r-r-redEuro
30-10-2007, 04:31 PM
when we say something you disagree, but when a mod says the same thing we do you listen like a trained dog :(

LXRY
30-10-2007, 05:53 PM
when we say something you disagree, but when a mod says the same thing we do you listen like a trained dog :(

:o.....Oh......Sorry

I didn't disagree.

I didn't mean to give that impression was just happy to see yfin reply on my problem.

Can you explain what you mean about the tint in a little more detail please, cause I could swear mine coming from top of the door.....more like seals at the top of the door.....maybe they took my doors off I don't know what the procedure is with tinting windows, I know they changed my window trim.

Don't trust them now (tinting place)

That's the door between the seals (this section)
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa204/_ShEnStA/DSCF1372.jpg

yfin
30-10-2007, 07:08 PM
I've been getting wind noise/coming through my front doors, thought it was due to tint company changing my door trims to prevent scratching of tint.......

Having another look at this comment what do you mean `change trims`? You shouldnt need to change any trim when installing the tint. Ideally only felt should be installed with no modification to the doors.

I know that some tint shops (eg Tint a Car Oakleigh) told me they bend the frame so that there is a larger gap between the plastic strip and the window to minimise scratching (ie no felt installed) - this works but it can cause whistling at speed as the door is modified from factory. Tint Professor advised me not to allow any modification to the door for this very reason and to only install felt.

LXRY
30-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Having another look at this comment what do you mean `change trims`?

I know that some tint shops (eg Tint a Car Oakleigh) told me they bend the frame so that there is a larger gap between the plastic strip and the window to minimise scratching (ie no felt installed) - this works but it can cause whistling at speed as the door is modified from factory.

Yep that's what they did.......changed the window trims so the don't rub up against the window have a bit of a gap there. You can tell they changed the window trim cause you can see where they cut the trim.

They didn't bend them just installed new ones......hmmmmmmm. But i'm positive about the noise coming from the top of the door, however i could be wrong took me 2 months to find out that most of my rattles where coming from the sunroof, lol.

*running out the door to check again
*another spin around the block

yfin
30-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Yep that's what they did.......changed the window trims so the don't rub up against the window have a bit of a gap there. You can tell they changed the window trim cause you can see where they cut the trim.

They didn't bend them just installed new ones......hmmmmmmm. But i'm positive about the noise coming from the top of the door, however i could be wrong took me 2 months to find out that most of my rattles where coming from the sunroof, lol.

*running out the door to check again
*another spin around the block

Ok so they cut the plastic trim to allow space between the glass and the trim. This may be the cause of the noise. Personally (and on the advice of other tint shops) I wouldnt alter the door. It is a cheap corner cutting option.

Installing a layer of felt helps prevents the scratches and does not modify the door.

When you cut the trim or bend the panel of course you run the risk that air is going to flow different inside the door. Take this back to the tint shop and see what they can do to help you. I suspect they will give you the run around.

EuroAccord13
30-10-2007, 08:36 PM
There are two ways to stop the window tint scratching on the Euro, one way is to install the felt lining. The other way is to actually bend the metal strip away from the window, thus increasing outside noise...

Which way did your dealer do it?

LXRY
30-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Which way did your dealer do it?

changed the window trim..........however i will find 5 minutes of my time that i don't have to go to the tinting place and ask excactly what they did.