PDA

View Full Version : Whiteline sway bars safe?

gromit
30-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Reading through the discussion linked below it seems that there is an inherent problem with subframe fractures in EKs fitted with whiteline sway bars (and EGs though apparently to a lesser extent).

This is obviously very concerning and I'm wondering if anyone has had or heard of a similar problem in the Euro?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77118&highlight=whiteline

bennjamin
30-10-2007, 03:35 PM
the whiteline bars utilise the STOCK mounting , so i would think twice before fitting their products to your euro.

snYpz
30-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I thought it was the larger sway bars that were a problem. I recall reading from a thread started a while ago abt the US TSX members installing a 22mm rear sway bar whereby some ppl experienced cracks or even breakages.

I think most members here would have the 18mm whiteline. Its been done by a lot of members here with no probs at all.

Pumped
30-10-2007, 05:48 PM
ive had a 18mm Whiteline RSB for about a year now,
besides some slight noises its been fine
Great mod

tony1234
30-10-2007, 06:30 PM
I thought it was the larger sway bars that were a problem. I recall reading from a thread started a while ago abt the US TSX members installing a 22mm rear sway bar whereby some ppl experienced cracks or even breakages.

I think most members here would have the 18mm whiteline. Its been done by a lot of members here with no probs at all.
I agree.I don't think there've been any issues with 18mm RSBs on the Euro.BTW mine's been on for 16 mths.and no problems at all.

EuroAccord13
30-10-2007, 08:44 PM
I've had mine for over 2 1/2 years now and it's still going strong...

Whiteline's RSB for the Euro is only 4mm thicker than OEM and so far mine has been A-OK as I check and lube the bushings on a regular basis....

aaronng
30-10-2007, 09:27 PM
the whiteline bars utilise the STOCK mounting , so i would think twice before fitting their products to your euro.
Every other brand of swaybar for the Euro uses the stock mountings, so it's the same for all. Only if you go for thicker bars with reinforced brackets and endlinks do you risk tearing the subframe. Comptech thought they would one-up the competition by including reinforced brackets, reinforced bolts and reinforced endlinks. Instead of broken endlinks like the other brands, Comptech is the only one that tears your subframe.

So in the end, yes, Whiteline is safe for the Euro because it is only an 18mm bar. Comptech is a 22mm, and that will cause some issues.

EUR003act
30-10-2007, 09:37 PM
you could always try polyurethane bushes :D

ALOT cheaper and less likely to cause any trouble...

yfin
31-10-2007, 06:25 AM
you could always try polyurethane bushes :D

ALOT cheaper and less likely to cause any trouble...

The whiteline kit uses poly bushes.

gromit
31-10-2007, 01:11 PM
That's very reassuring to know :D
Will order one soon!

aaronng
31-10-2007, 02:05 PM
The whiteline kit uses poly bushes.
I think he meant use poly bushes with the stock swaybar (which increases stiffness without using a stiffer bar since the stock bushing is soft rubber)

tron07
31-10-2007, 03:47 PM
I think he meant use poly bushes with the stock swaybar (which increases stiffness without using a stiffer bar since the stock bushing is soft rubber)

Is that good?

yfin
31-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Is that good?

I reckon it is a waste of time -if you are going to the effort of installing and paying for bushes just buy the whiteline bar.

It is not as if anyone on here has a ripped subframe in a euro fitted with the whiteline bar. ZERO cases for the Euro with that bar. I had mine fitted for 2 years, cornered hard and no problems whatsoever.

aaronng
31-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Is that good?

Like Yfin said, you might as well use a whiteline 18mm or some other brand of 18mm. No problems with the Euro if you stick to 18mm.

EUR003act
31-10-2007, 08:55 PM
yeah aaronng thats what i meant...

poly bushes are a cheap alternative - $15 compared to $180

lol i brought some, havent installed them yet...

kitbkk
31-10-2007, 09:22 PM
whiteline is ok. bang for bucks. tighten it up nicely. one think i dont like about it is the end links like to come loose. it can be fixed with in less than 5-10 minutes. apart from that, its good.

aaronng
31-10-2007, 09:47 PM
whiteline is ok. bang for bucks. tighten it up nicely. one think i dont like about it is the end links like to come loose. it can be fixed with in less than 5-10 minutes. apart from that, its good.

Did you tighten it when your car down on the proper driving height? Mine never came loose at all in the whole 2 years of having it installed.

EuroAccord13
31-10-2007, 09:52 PM
It must be the Air Runners! Hee Hee Heee :D

kitbkk
31-10-2007, 10:24 PM
i tighten them when the height is set to ride height and all wheels are on the ground. ive been trying like everything now, regrease, swaping to stock, put it back on etc. best way now is retighten them when noise is back and if i have time lol. it doesnt happen to Atjo's though. Must have got good installers then lol:p

EuroAccord13
01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
But how many times do you go up and down with the Air Runners?

I'll check if for you when I see you next week laaaaaa!

aaronng
01-11-2007, 05:45 PM
i tighten them when the height is set to ride height and all wheels are on the ground. ive been trying like everything now, regrease, swaping to stock, put it back on etc. best way now is retighten them when noise is back and if i have time lol. it doesnt happen to Atjo's though. Must have got good installers then lol:p

Yeah, we'll check for you. Usually the grease is poor and the endlink not tightened properly. We'll use castrol LMM grease and tighten like how we do on our own cars, which have no noise and never came lose in the past 1.5 years.

kitbkk
01-11-2007, 08:49 PM
thanks heaps to you both!!
cant wait for it now hehe.

adammet04
04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
ive had mine on for about 80,000 k's no issues except for the noise it makes when you havent regreased it...but this is somehting regular maintenance keeps under control..