PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Quote

Deano_EK
30-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Have to get my clutch changed soon as well as input shaft bearings and other various bearings making noises in my car, my mate whos a mechanic reckons i wont get much change from $1500, another mechanic reckons its going to be about $2500 both prices inculding a new standard clutch, just wondering if theres anyone here thats had the same type of work done and what it cost you guys, by the way its a 96 EK gli.

shadou
30-10-2007, 07:20 PM
wtf? sounds a bit pricey mate. What other bearings are you getting replaced? Shouldn't be over $1000 for a ISB + clutch job unless you're going through Honda dealerships then maybe it'll be somewhere around that price.

Benson
30-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Your getting rape! get more quote elsewhere

Deano_EK
30-10-2007, 07:40 PM
yer i thought i was ill keep looking around, preety sure its the inputshaft bearing and thrust bearing, and neither are Honda dealers, maybe both workshops were busy and quoted me higher prices as they didnt want the jobs perhaps?
Deano.

shadou
30-10-2007, 07:44 PM
maybe they saw you as easy cash? if it's only those two bearings most generic workshops would probably charge all up <$1000 or close to it, including a new clutch and bearings.
$2500 probably rip your engine out and put it back in.

teh_mechanic
31-10-2007, 10:30 PM
yeah,even if you get genuine bearings and maybe even a heavy duty clutch i would only see it coming to around about $1000. Allow probably 3-4 hours labour to get gearbox out and back in and bout 1 hour max for clutch assembly inspection and bearing change.

Most front wheel drive cars dont have an input shaft/spiggot bearing as the input shaft is about half the size as ones in rear wheel drive boxes so the main bearing in the gearbox is enough in fwd to support the input shaft,no need for a spiggot bearing to support it....not certain if thats true for honda,but most fwd's it is....so its probably just your thrust bearing making noise (should always be changed when you change clutch anyway just to be safe. If it is the thrust bearing it will probably only be noisy when the clutch pedal is not push down (so that the clutch is engaged and there is load on the bearing)

Ask them to check your rear main engine seal while the gearbox is off and replace it if its leaking or shows signs of wear...saves taking box off again if it leaks later