PDA

View Full Version : H22 V-Tec in gen 3 Lude?

djtomcat
10-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Have just bought a gen 3 1988 lude, auto box plays up and engine leaks a little oil! Was contemplating a h22 vtec conversion as i can get a 1/2 cut for $2200! Wondering if anyone has done this or knows how easy/difficult it could be! Any info would be appreciated! Cheers!

aznluder
11-08-2004, 12:31 PM
you should have just bought a gen 4 vtir. not worth doing the conversion in a 3rd gen.

azjs
11-08-2004, 05:08 PM
see preludeaustralia.com - there is a writeup there by member "cartoon" get ready for a lot of headaches

-az

McChook
11-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Its a bitch of a conversion....
But, if thats what you want....

LUD02C
11-08-2004, 10:49 PM
I got a Gen 3 to 1990 model.
The conversion isn't worth it at all.
I saw a Gen 3 with a H22A get snapped by a VRX Magna.
Now why spend around $9,000 on an engine to get snapped by a magna?

Just get the oil leak fixed (look at the gaskets and stuff) and drive around in the normal B20A engine.
Do some rice mods to it, (thats what i did) because they look good the Gen3's!

McChook
11-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I got a Gen 3 to 1990 model.
The conversion isn't worth it at all.
I saw a Gen 3 with a H22A get snapped by a VRX Magna.
Now why spend around $9,000 on an engine to get snapped by a magna?

Just get the oil leak fixed (look at the gaskets and stuff) and drive around in the normal B20A engine.
Do some rice mods to it, (thats what i did) because they look good the Gen3's!
Ahh, I had a run with a Ralliart magna the other day....
With a few more horses, I don't see why I couldn't chop one, and with the weight of a 3rd gen, it should be a easier.... and the VRX has a few less horses than the Ralliart...

Either way, not worth the conversion IMO

poid
12-08-2004, 08:56 AM
I've looked into it, and its not worth it. The gen3's arent very conversion friendly

Hawk
27-08-2004, 05:38 AM
It is an awful swap to do. Possible but painful.

Better option if u want to go vtec. Buy the head, wiring, and ecu off a b16a. Than go and buy the box (with lsd) off a b18c. Bolt it all together and u now have a killer 2.0l vtec prelude that will tromp most things on the road.

P.S. I have seen a vid of this engine hybrid in a civic and it killed a s2k in a straight line drag

azjs
27-08-2004, 11:33 AM
afaik its not possible to bolt any B series head (besides its own) to a b20A. Note: "A", not "B".

-az

Hawk
28-08-2004, 07:19 AM
afaik its not possible to bolt any B series head (besides its own) to a b20A. Note: "A", not "B".

-az

U may want to check this out as I have not 'personally' done it, but, have seen a vid of it done, and the other mechs at my work (a honda dealership) say that it 'should' be possible.

FastAz

Hawk
28-08-2004, 08:01 AM
I just watched the vid of the hybrid engine again and *slumps down in seat* it is a crv bottom end (b20b) :o

flipmods
16-09-2004, 07:24 AM
I know about the B16 head on CRV blocks but I have also heard of B16 heads on 3rd gen prelude blocks, a guy did it in the states, but that is just what I heard, also it said the job is too big that it wasn't worth it. I didn't actually see it though.

U may want to check this out as I have not 'personally' done it, but, have seen a vid of it done, and the other mechs at my work (a honda dealership) say that it 'should' be possible.

FastAz

bennyfy
13-10-2004, 03:20 AM
i was also think of your idea mate, but finally didn't swap the engine......
as the price of the car is dropping a lot recently, it's not worth to put that much on it
you can't get what you paid for.
i know modify car will not gain any profit, but why lost that much on it!?

if you really wanna do that~
put racing camshafts, echaust, filter, pistons or even NOS it~mate~