PDA

View Full Version : Temperature in Traffic Jams

playtime
30-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Hey Guys

Does your temperature gauge go above the 50% mark in traffic jams...and then drop back to normal when the car is moving? My friend says VTEC ones are like that because the engine needs to be hot for the VTEC to full engage...

What are your experiences?

|N|
30-10-2007, 10:28 PM
is ur radiator fan working?

destrukshn
30-10-2007, 10:28 PM
no.
not normal.
temp gauge shouldn't fluctuate.
lol.
causes could be.
blocked radiator, thermostat, thermofans, maybe old coolant.
can't think of anything else right now.
lol.

xenonkuraz
31-10-2007, 08:00 AM
It is most probably your Thermostat playing up; stuck open. Have a read of this:

http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8692

Zilli
31-10-2007, 08:46 AM
If your engine, and oil isnt warm, and have enough oil pressure, VTEC will not engage... So heat does have plenty to do with it

However this really isnt the point here. If your temp is fluctuating, as mentioned above, check you radiator for flow, your thermostat, and maybe do a flush.

Limbo
31-10-2007, 12:02 PM
mine never moves up above half but does drop below half if crusing in cold weather

Benson
31-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Guys

Does your temperature gauge go above the 50% mark in traffic jams...and then drop back to normal when the car is moving? My friend says VTEC ones are like that because the engine needs to be hot for the VTEC to full engage...

What are your experiences?

Your friend is LOST....Needle shouldn't go above halfway unless there is something faulty in the cooling system. Could be number of things. Vtec won't engage if overheating.

Check radiator, radiator cap, coolant level and make sure thermo is working and fan.

dsp26
31-10-2007, 12:19 PM
Your friend is full of do-do. Vtec has no bearing on temperature. We need more info to talk about your problem like what car, how many km on it, etc.....

Your friend is LOST....Needle shouldn't go above halfway unless there is something faulty in the cooling system. Could be number of things. Vtec won't engage if overheating.

Check radiator, radiator cap, coolant level and make sure thermo is working and fan.

Actually I was going to ask about that... OK.. this question is sort of related to the recent Oil thread...

My engine when cold has a significant noticable change in note during crossover (when not too hot)... however since I started using 5w30 (Aus recommended is 10w30 apparently) and considernig the hot weather these days... it sounds like my "vtAk fell off" as there is no noticable feel or change in sound (btw my crossover is at a lower 5200rpm so it is noticable).

Is this because my oil is too thin especially in hot weather and therefore cannot create the correct oil pressure to allow engagement?? or has this been covered and i'm n00b and i haven't searched??

Just to add to diagnosis... i have:
- Low temp thermostat.. i think ~80*C
- Buddy Club Fan Switch which i think is also at ~80*C
- Temp needle NEVER goes past just under halfway
- But my engine bay has been noticably hotter than before.. can possibly attribute to either season change or the thinner oil

***EDIT***
btw to add value to this thread somewhat due to my hijack, destrukshn has covered the possible causes in post#3 :p

On another note in regards to heat and vtec engagement, mine starts to activate once temp needle is ~2mm above minimum temp line

Mattski_VTIR
31-10-2007, 03:03 PM
My Brother had this problem in his VTI-R Integra, it turned out to the the thermostat, once he relplaced it the engine sat at a consistant temp :thumbsup:

aimre
31-10-2007, 05:53 PM
My needled like NEVER ever mooves

gnx1987
31-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Wrong assumption AGAIN.;) The vtec isn't controlling the temperature, the temperature is controlling the Vtec therefore Vtec has no effect on Temperature.;)

You guys are making a mountain out of a no brainier again. Very easy to prove... just pop down to your local auto parts store, pick out a vehicle with Vtec and order a thermostat, then pick out a similar make car without Vtec. open both boxes and ....what do you know looking at the thermostat and you will read THE SAME OPENING TEMPERATURE AND OPERATING RANGE no magic super special Vtec thermostat. Honda's with Vtec and without Vtec operate at the same normal operating temperature... how about that;)

An my car and several others on this site have LOW TEMPERATURE THERMOSTATS AND FAN SWITCHES and operate at much lower temperature than a standard vehicle are you trying to say our VTEC isn't going to work or fall off???

And for those of us luck enough to have oil pressure gauges installed isn't your oil pressure HIGHER upon start..... colder oil has HIGHER OIL PRESSURE not lower so the theory that you need high temperature to get high oil pressure to operate Vtec is shown to be a fallacy

Vtec is controlled by the ECU which is fed information from the oil pressure sensor and the engine coolant temperature sensor when those values meet standard operating ranges the ECU signals the Vtec solenoid that it is to engage. SIMPLE no difference in temperature between regular no Vtec and Vtec engines.

The man posting this has a cooling PROBLEM nothing to do with Vtec.

No your just misreading what he's saying. Have you ever tried activating vtec straight after you've started the car. It wont happen because the engine has to be above a preset operating temperature. That's what he's saying.

jdm_kid
31-10-2007, 06:12 PM
thermostat

LAGOOT
31-10-2007, 06:43 PM
agreed, thermostat

dsp26
31-10-2007, 07:04 PM
lol awesome.. indirectly answered my question...
[/hijack] kthxbai!!!

Wrong assumption AGAIN.;) The vtec isn't controlling the temperature, the temperature is controlling the Vtec therefore Vtec has no effect on Temperature.;)

You guys are making a mountain out of a no brainier again. Very easy to prove... just pop down to your local auto parts store, pick out a vehicle with Vtec and order a thermostat, then pick out a similar make car without Vtec. open both boxes and ....what do you know looking at the thermostat and you will read THE SAME OPENING TEMPERATURE AND OPERATING RANGE no magic super special Vtec thermostat. Honda's with Vtec and without Vtec operate at the same normal operating temperature... how about that;)

An my car and several others on this site have LOW TEMPERATURE THERMOSTATS AND FAN SWITCHES and operate at much lower temperature than a standard vehicle are you trying to say our VTEC isn't going to work or fall off???

And for those of us luck enough to have oil pressure gauges installed isn't your oil pressure HIGHER upon start..... colder oil has HIGHER OIL PRESSURE not lower so the theory that you need high temperature to get high oil pressure to operate Vtec is shown to be a fallacy

Vtec is controlled by the ECU which is fed information from the oil pressure sensor and the engine coolant temperature sensor when those values meet standard operating ranges the ECU signals the Vtec solenoid that it is to engage. SIMPLE no difference in temperature between regular no Vtec and Vtec engines.

The man posting this has a cooling PROBLEM nothing to do with Vtec.

playtime
01-11-2007, 01:11 AM
hey guys

Thanks for the replies...i checked it today cos it happened when i drove at noon withh the aircon on....the radiator was empty..so i poured water into it and it seems to be alright now...going to monitor it for the next few days..

Oh..and someone was asking my car details..its a 95' DC2 with 180000+ kms on it...just serviced in sept thou....every 5000kms

BTW,when i open the VTEC , the temp is e same b4 n after :)

xntrik
01-11-2007, 02:29 AM
Like stated.
Temperature gauge shouldnt jump like that.

IT should be consistant about a bar below middle.
Unless you drive it hard out constantly. (And still you must do it pretty hard for the temperature gauge to move above just below the middle)!