PDA

View Full Version : DC5 - 2 lower or not 2 lower?

MSHONDA
31-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Hi there, I'm new here so help me out.:eek:
I'm thinking about lowering my DC5 (02) not an R unfortunately. The ride is already quite bumpy. Will lowering make it worse? Or will a good set of springs make the difference? Looking to go an inch only. Any suggestions on what springs would be best. my previous ride (97 Seca) was lowered an inch on king springs and they were great but I think the Honda might need something better.

krogoth
31-10-2007, 03:58 PM
well, there are a few options

im guessing ur after a more comfortable ride

just because ur lowering doesnt mean u have to lose ride quality

since ur after ride quality, most coilovers are not an option, IMO, since they are too stiff, and damping is far too harsh

find a nice good quality set of shocks and springs

pick up a new set of koni yellows and eibach/koni springs

a set of koni yellows with damper adjustability will be at least $900 if not more, 4 shocks, front and rear

a set of koni springs or eibach will be at least $350 to $450, 4 springs front and rear

also the springs shoodnt be too stiff, something along the lines of 6kgs in the front, 4kgs in the back i think? or maybe 8kgs in the front and 6kgs in the back

also have u got after market wheels? if u do wat tyre profile u running? the wheels u have and the tyres on them will affect ride comfort

and even though the shocks and springs wont be as stiff as coilovers, i still think they will be a MASSIVE improvement on stock sussy, in terms of handling, ride comfort will definetley improve as well, imo

also have a search around, thers lots more info and ppl that know more than me:)

beeza
31-10-2007, 04:19 PM
A Good cheap option is to get it lowered on Kings springs and keep the stock struts.I did this to my ride,a 96 EK Civic and it's perfect.Cost 500-700 if you take it to a suspension place.A lot of people do this.

subjective
31-10-2007, 09:50 PM
another vote for koni yellow/eibach spring..

They are fairly comfortable, firm handling.

too bad my rim is too big for eg.. 17" should've gone 16" with more rubber for more comfortable ride..

m_n
31-10-2007, 10:01 PM
if you're after koni yellows
check out
http://www.performancecloseout.com/

they US based
but u can get them pretty cheap here
last time i checked, set of 4 for dc2 were $700aus shipped
although im not sure what the prices for dc5 are =x
hope it helps =)

DreadAngel
31-10-2007, 10:04 PM
F:8|R:6 isn't comfortable bro, thats getting stiff already lol Soft and comfortable would be more like F:5|R:3... Thats comfort lol

krogoth
31-10-2007, 10:06 PM
yeh, 6F, 4R is prob the best option

best of both worlds

STTICH
01-11-2007, 03:54 AM
generalising whats a 'comfortable' spring rate is not at all times accurate, as different models roll off the factory wth different stock spring rates.

the DC5 has stock rates close to 5kg/mm at front and close to 8kg/mm at rear (from memory), which is why the ride's feeling kinda bumpy as mentioned by MSHONDA.

if ride comfort is a major priority, it is best to just keep the factory settings. lowering springs will come with higher rates to compensate the shorten shock travel available.

coilovers are definately not an option for u.

king springs are generally quite soft and very bearable on stock shocks. for somthing better, go for Spoon springs. they are 7.4kg/mm F and 8.2kg/mm R & it gives a mere 25mm drop which is still quite 'healthy' on stock shocks. also to note, aftermarket springs will (eventually) shorten the life expectency of your shocks in due time.

aftermarket shocks are recommended wth the use of aftermarket springs. but it will most likely be firmer/harsher (even to the slightest) , comparing wth your stock setups, or aftermarket springs on stock shocks.

beeza
01-11-2007, 10:39 AM
generalising whats a 'comfortable' spring rate is not at all times accurate, as different models roll off the factory wth different stock spring rates.

the DC5 has stock rates close to 5kg/mm at front and close to 8kg/mm at rear (from memory), which is why the ride's feeling kinda bumpy as mentioned by MSHONDA.

if ride comfort is a major priority, it is best to just keep the factory settings. lowering springs will come with higher rates to compensate the shorten shock travel available.

coilovers are definately not an option for u.

king springs are generally quite soft and very bearable on stock shocks. for somthing better, go for Spoon springs. they are 7.4kg/mm F and 8.2kg/mm R & it gives a mere 25mm drop which is still quite 'healthy' on stock shocks. also to note, aftermarket springs will (eventually) shorten the life expectency of your shocks in due time.

aftermarket shocks are recommended wth the use of aftermarket springs. but it will most likely be firmer/harsher (even to the slightest) , comparing wth your stock setups, or aftermarket springs on stock shocks.

Agreed.It took me ages to make up my mind about what I should do.Ultimately as a daily driver comfort gets priority.So the most comfortable/affordable combo was stock struts and king springs.It was a great chioce.It's exactly the feeling I wanted.

MSHONDA
01-11-2007, 01:19 PM
thanks for your help guys!:thumbsup: anymore advice would be much appreciated. I don't mind a bumpy ride but don't want that feeling where the car is about to fall to pieces!
I have factory wheels on the car but putting 17x 7.5 on it soon. This won't help the ride either will it?[/U]
I have to say that when it comes down to it you have to
"SACRIFICE COMFORT FOR GOOD LOOKS .
I haven't heard from anyone who's actually lowered their DC5.should I go into the Integra forum? :confused:

Joeyboy
01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Kings springs and Kyb shocks :thumbsup:

Chi
01-11-2007, 01:50 PM
well when u put on bigger wheels u generally get thinner tyres which will result in comfort loss as well.

As you will feel the bumps more due to the thinner tyres.

Ive lowerd my dc5 on tein flex on med damper and its ok at teh front but stiff in the rear.

i had king springs before and it left bout 1 half finger gap.

ride comfort was reasonable decent.

But it depends i guess how much u wanna dump it and what your budget is.

It doesntlook like you wanna track your car, so i would say springs would be the way to go.

but it depends how much u wanan lower it, u can only lower the car on stock shocks with springs to a certian point before u stuff em up

Joeyboy
01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
"SACRIFICE COMFORT FOR GOOD LOOKS

mate, i have King springs with aftermarket shox on my accord and I can say that its still a comfortable ride. might be a little...and i mean a LITTLE bumpy every now and then (if the road is not smooth), but as long as u make sure to avoid any abnormalities on the roads (like holes, bumps) then u will have NO problems with comfort at all! mate, on the highway i feel like going to sleep coz its still such a smooooth ride.

once u lower ur car, u will have to change ur driving habits. meaning u cant just run over a hump at 20km/hr or just go over a pot-hole or do a 100km/hr on rough gravel or any rough road (if u do come across any).

So go get ur lowered springs and a good set of shocks...whether Koni or KYB, u'll be surprised of how "comfortable" ur car would still be. :D

MSHONDA
02-11-2007, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=Joeyboy;1412253]
once u lower ur car, u will have to change ur driving habits.

Unfortunately I am blind when it comes to pot holes! :) and as for my driving habits I been told I drive like a guy (I don't know if thats a good thing):o
My previous ride was lowered and I have another 2 corollas which are extra low. So luckily I'm used to taking it easy when it comes to humps and driveways. Most times I 4rget that da Honda isn't lowered.

Well I'm convinced that lowering is the way to go. thanks again for all your help!:wave:

blahZ
02-11-2007, 06:26 PM
dump your car on its asssss looks sexy

STTICH
03-11-2007, 01:18 AM
......So luckily I'm used to taking it easy when it comes to humps and driveways. Most times I 4rget that da Honda isn't lowered.

tats the way to go :thumbsup: at least tats wat i think.

i've been very used to driving lowered cars, when comes to driving cars wth factory suspension, i still take it slow. you wont do any harm taking it slow.

a standard luxury car can go thru the railways fast and not feeling the bump, but the suspension is actually suffering.