PDA

View Full Version : defame workshops/brands

BlitZ
01-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I find the moderation to be inconsistent.

we can say how crap whitline rear sways and how bad SSSautochrome is.

But can not speak about poor mechanics and ECUs

WTF:thumbsup:

fatboyz39
01-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Should have a recommendation Thread- good/bad expereience with workshops and etc.

yfin
01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I find the moderation to be inconsistent.

we can say how crap whitline rear sways and how bad SSSautochrome is.

But can not speak about poor mechanics and ECUs

WTF:thumbsup:

It is covered in the terms and conditions. Moderators are not "editorial" as we do not and literally cannot review every post.

From the terms and conditions:

Ozhonda prefers that members do not make posts that are of a kind that lead others to think less of a person or business – even if the poster believes the comment is justified, fair or true. If you do post such matters you should not identify the person or business. If you are in doubt about your post or comment check with your lawyer (and speak to your bank manager as to whether you can fund protracted defamation proceedings).

A review or stated experience with a product is usually factual (eg it broke) and unlikely to cause any problems for anyone.

It does becomes more problematic when you talk about someone as a person - say X mechanic or X repair shop. We see some really outrageous comments about individuals - eg "dodgy thieving bastards - don't go there"...

That could be the persons' livelihood and may ruin the reputation of that person if a member makes an untrue statement. So of course it is not allowed.

bennjamin
01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Just to add , whiteline has an issue with its product/s which is 100% official and the numerous cases to prove it. We still await "whiteline" to back itself of its product( to suit EG/EK/DC's)
SSSautochrome ? Link us please.

.::F[L]Y::.
01-11-2007, 01:12 PM
what if an engine builder build engines and charges huge amounts of money and there has been several cases of these 'lemon' engines under performing or simply blowing up?

although i can understand the issue the mods and owners of the forum face about defamation, but in a way i guess these shit engine builders are hiding behind all this fact from others out there making the same mistake.

bennjamin
01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
I can see whom you speak of and what you are getting at.
IF any noob asks in the WHAT WHERE TO BUY forum , you WONT mention "bad experiences" to them , will you ?
Do you and everyone here also understand it is incredibly hard to prove of this (someone can easily put blame onto something else and vice versa for the person paying)
That , is as far as it gets on this public forum. Remember , "WE" as mods try to keep this entire place free of negative opinions.

.::F[L]Y::.
01-11-2007, 01:27 PM
i guess it all comes down to the context as well.

But what if we are basing our posts to help another person from past experiences? like for example 'X engine from X person blew up on the track?' surely that would be different from saying:
"X motor from X builder is just shit, dont goto them"

ps: im not hassling you or anything, just wanted clarification

fatboyz39
01-11-2007, 01:35 PM
so reommendation thread out of the question?

bennjamin
01-11-2007, 03:08 PM
yes totally out of the question. We dont allow free plugs for businesses of any type in Ozhonda.

The only place is the WTB section , where IF a person asks for a place you may suggest X builder/tuner/mechanic etc.

BlitZ
02-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Y::.;1412216']i guess it all comes down to the context as well.

But what if we are basing our posts to help another person from past experiences? like for example 'X engine from X person blew up on the track?' surely that would be different from saying:
"X motor from X builder is just shit, dont goto them"

ps: im not hassling you or anything, just wanted clarification

its all about past experiences...

if u cant post past experiences, then i dont hitnk u can provide product reviews

BlitZ
02-11-2007, 02:33 PM
SSSautochrome ? Link us please.

This thread mentions XSpower, linking to honda-tech... close enough
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75050

bennjamin
02-11-2007, 03:20 PM
its all about past experiences...

if u cant post past experiences, then i dont hitnk u can provide product reviews

you can post product reviews in the DIY/REVIEW thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31
...as long , as its not a free plug for an associated business :)

You CANNOT post experiences/reviews of SERVICES , IE individuals / businesses. This includes tuners / builders / mechanics etc.

aaronng
02-11-2007, 04:01 PM
This thread mentions XSpower, linking to honda-tech... close enough
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75050

That's pretty much similar to the Whiteline thread. Many people bought the XSPower kit, only to have their manifolds crack or the turbo housing split into half, they are posting their own item which has broken.

e240
02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Y::.;1412194']what if an engine builder build engines and charges huge amounts of money and there has been several cases of these 'lemon' engines under performing or simply blowing up?

although i can understand the issue the mods and owners of the forum face about defamation, but in a way i guess these shit engine builders are hiding behind all this fact from others out there making the same mistake.

Its also because alot of opinions as such told by people are biased, have no first hand experience or do not provide the whole picture to be fair.

If you make such claims, you must be prepared to back it up and be challenged legally if you're found to have defamed someone. Unfortunately, thats a risk that ozhonda cannot take, for the good of the Forum as a whole.

BlitZ
05-11-2007, 08:40 AM
the eatability website should be shot by now.. and so as the million hotel reviews out there.

Can you guys provide me with 1 site that has been sued for a review.. just 1 would be great to satisfy my curious mind

bennjamin
05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
better safe than sorry. That is the idea behind all our terms and conditions.

e240
05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
the eatability website should be shot by now.. and so as the million hotel reviews out there.

Can you guys provide me with 1 site that has been sued for a review.. just 1 would be great to satisfy my curious mind

The difference is, those food review websites and hotel reviews are done in objectively by independent reviewers and the subjects tend to agree to the review.

Have the the Hilton (I like this hotel chain BTW) say that that services in the Sheraton is shit and see what happens.

BlitZ
07-11-2007, 05:17 PM
The difference is, those food review websites and hotel reviews are done in objectively by independent reviewers and the subjects tend to agree to the review.

Have the the Hilton (I like this hotel chain BTW) say that that services in the Sheraton is shit and see what happens.

go to eatability... there are reviews from users saying places are ****ED up with bad service... :thumbsup:

aaronng
07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
go to eatability... there are reviews from users saying places are ****ED up with bad service... :thumbsup:

Those are restaurant review websites. Ozhonda is NOT a dealer/business review website. It is a forum for Honda owners and enthusiasts.

bennjamin
07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Can we drop the comparisons to other sites of different nature.
Ozhonda , as above is a free website for enthusiasts , and we intend to keep it hassle free for everyone.

vinnY
06-12-2007, 04:32 PM
just thought i'd add a bit more info regarding the topic
i'm not sure if anyone here visits the overclockers australia (www.overclockers.com.au) forums but back in '01, because of vendor verdicts, they were threatened with legal action and we lost the forums for some time
if you don't want to see this kind of stuff happening to the ozhonda forums don't name names

if you want to read more about it please see info here from ocau direct (http://www.overclockers.com.au/defamation.shtml)

one4spl
06-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I think a key point from the OCAU experience is in no. 8-

If someone complains to us about a post that you have made that they consider defamatory, we will delete it as soon as we can - this is for YOUR protection.

They don't delete posts because they *may* be defamatory, they delete posts when people claim that a post *is* defamatory.

IMHO if you write with comon sense and conviction then you should tell others of your experience, and you should be able to without having your post deleted. You would obviously do this after voicing your complaint to the vendor in question, and after giving them reasonable time to respond and correct the issue.

misteR_bilzz
06-12-2007, 10:28 PM
u can just write what u wish to write without including the comany name if u wish to name em get interested parties to pm u. easy az!

wynode
07-12-2007, 11:26 AM
just thought i'd add a bit more info regarding the topic
i'm not sure if anyone here visits the overclockers australia (www.overclockers.com.au) forums but back in '01, because of vendor verdicts, they were threatened with legal action and we lost the forums for some time
if you don't want to see this kind of stuff happening to the ozhonda forums don't name names

if you want to read more about it please see info here from ocau direct (http://www.overclockers.com.au/defamation.shtml)
Exactly.

steve88
10-12-2007, 12:54 PM
you have to be very careful when saying something about another business. defamation is an ugly thing, regardless if your car was really ****ed up by a mechanic ozhonda would be caught RIGHT in the middle. itd be better to personally PM the person saying so because its unlikely they'll do much compared to a publically viewed forum.

now legally, itd be easy too proove well mechanic stuffed my car up no problems. youll get your money, but do you want these things being flung around ozhonda? and also just stating an opinion of a product (as a sales rep) you cant get sued either as long as it was obvious it was your opinion. but at any rate, while you might be in the green its probably best we dont use ozhonda as a medium for this.