PDA

View Full Version : How mani kms to go before i can flaw the clutch?

VT1-R
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
hi ppl again..

i jus got my exedy stage 1 clutch n SPOON flywheel installed..

Response is great.. but i wanna feel the vtec as well as the response...

mechanic says after 50km then i can play around with launch and maybe drive harder..

so wat u guys reckon.. pls advise onli if u reali noe ur stuff.. no offence though...

aaronng
01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Don't launch or dump the clutch for the first 1000km of city driving. But, you can use full throttle and/or VTEC as long as you shift normally and don't burn the clutch. Shift at redline and let the revs drop to the appropriate level for the next gear before releasing the clutch. Yes, that's "granny shifting" from F&F.

VT1-R
09-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Bump..

I got 300km on my new clutch already.. i tried doing a lil gd launch with 3k rpm.. wheel spin more than old clutch... 1st time i did wheel spin after 300km on new clutch

So the question is..
How long will a burnt smell in the clutch last after replacing new clutch.. even if i dun burn my clutch much.. sometimes jus controlling it when parking, i get a lil of burn smell in n out the car.. Parking requires a bit of burning and "feeling" of the clutch ya!? thanks ppl

dc2dc2dc2
09-11-2007, 11:01 PM
learn to drive.
thats my answer.

NightKids
09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
wtf are you doing launching with only 300kms on the clutch?

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 12:33 AM
learn to drive.
thats my answer.

haha.. dun worry about the driving part. The part i meant about trying to balance the clutch when parking is normal when u change a new clutch..It will take awhile for every driver to get use to a new heavy duty clutch..
Not every1 is a "formula one" driver like you so dont try to act too smart

Burnt smell is normal for a new clutch. I just wanna know roughly how long this will last if u guys have any experience.Thanks ppl..

And also I didnt dump my clutch, I jus accidentally release it too fast and added some acceleration, causing minor wheel spin. Its a mistake on my part.

So how many km do you guys think before i can drive a bit hard somedays...Very much appreciated

NightKids
10-11-2007, 01:35 PM
that's already been answered by aarong

aaronng
10-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, I told him not to launch for the first 1000km, but he still didn't listen. :) If his clutch or flywheel glazes over because of launching too early, can't say I didn't warn him.

1996ek1
10-11-2007, 03:02 PM
i tried doing a lil gd launch with 3k rpm

And also I didnt dump my clutch, I jus accidentally release it too fast and added some acceleration, causing minor wheel spin. Its a mistake on my part.

You said last post you tried doing a little good launch with 3k, then it changed u let go too fast, and accidentally rev it? lol

IEVAQ8
10-11-2007, 03:53 PM
i drove my exedy clutch completely normal under 4000revs for 1000km's after that i just drove it hard a few times to red line, it smelled like a burn the first red line then it never did again, still working fine, but i wouldnt sugest rev dump or launch practice for at least 1000kms

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok guys.. to Clear the confusion. I admit its my mistake and i have to learn how to drive the new clutch well..

I simply tried to take off a bit faster without completely mastering the clutch technique with the new clutch yet thus leading to a "3k rpm launch".. GET IT??

So its like letting off the clutch too fast and accidentally accelerating too much causing a bit of wheelspin.

As for aaronng, I should have drove more carefully. But I still didnt launch or dump the clutch yet. I only accidentally cause a little bit of spin tats all.

And my ultimate question is to ask about how long will a burnt smell in the clutch last after replacing new clutch? which IEVAQ8 answered the to the point.Good on you.

Anyway, for those who said learn how to drive, I will.. haha..

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I told him not to launch for the first 1000km, but he still didn't listen. :) If his clutch or flywheel glazes over because of launching too early, can't say I didn't warn him.

How would you know if ur clutch or flywheel glazes over?.. My clutch is normally now. Just curious about what symptoms says that ur clutch or flywheel glazes over? haha.. thanks aaronng..

destrukshn
10-11-2007, 05:57 PM
it slips.

petsfact
10-11-2007, 06:04 PM
does the clutch become rough when pushing hard? if it's glazed i mean.

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 06:07 PM
nope.. It bites good.. I will drive like a old lady for the next 650 km and keep you guys posted.. All those who give comments regardless offensive, helpful, just laming around etc are appreciated and thanks guys..

dudeling7
10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
although its hard to drive it like a granny when u have jsut installed a new clutch and flywheel its important in order for it to function correctly and last its time.

if you glaze it over it will slip and the life of the clutch will really diminish, not to mention all that money u spent installing it etc wasted lol. so yeh jsut take it easy on the launches and gear changes for AT LEAST 500km of CITY driving.

bennjamin
10-11-2007, 06:58 PM
LOL @ title.

how many ks before you can FLAW the clutch ? MY dear friend that is 0 k's lol.

Sorry ill shut up. Make it 500ks of easy driving and dont ride the clutch in any way.

fatboyz39
10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Drive it normally. This thread is funny.

aaronng
10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
How would you know if ur clutch or flywheel glazes over?.. My clutch is normally now. Just curious about what symptoms says that ur clutch or flywheel glazes over? haha.. thanks aaronng..

For the HD clutch, a glazed one could shudder when taking off normally. It could also slip more than normal.

Since you say you accidentally made a 3000rpm launch rather than a full throttle slip launch, your clutch should still be fine. Give it a day or two of driving to let the smell go away. It could be the new clutch heating up from that 3000rpm launch and thus giving out the smell.

IEVAQ8
10-11-2007, 09:13 PM
claymore.........u get a burning smell as u have opver heated it for the first time in the new clutches life............and it happens once its inbeaded......as for a new car.u must understand that every new car has been put through its paces before sold to the public....well at least the motor and gearboxes have always got 1000kms on them............

Benson
10-11-2007, 09:32 PM
[quote=bennjamin;1424399]

quote]

:thumbsup:

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 09:57 PM
LOL @ title.

Sorry ill shut up. Make it 500ks of easy driving and dont ride the clutch in any way.

haha.. mistake on my part. How many ks can i flaw the accelerator with a new clutch!!! haha.. thanks dude..

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Yup.. The smell is almost gone.. In fact today there's none and i will drive carefully till it reaches about 1000km b4 i try a redline.. thanks ppl for patience and guidance..

This is a noob forum rememeber.. haha..

bennjamin
10-11-2007, 10:00 PM
dude....you mean FLOOR it lol . Not "FLAW" it ehehehe.

IMO wait 500ks of normal driving to properly bed the clutch in :)

aaronng
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
haha.. mistake on my part. How many ks can i flaw the accelerator with a new clutch!!! haha.. thanks dude..

The flaw in your thread title is "flaw". :)

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 11:46 PM
lol.. sorry i tot of floor but kept writing flaw.. haha..

I will not FLOOR my accelerator and dump my clutch till at least 1000km.. maybe do some vtec after 500-600km...now its proper english

aaronng
11-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Just don't launch or slip the clutch excessively. You can use full throttle as long as your foot is not on the clutch. :)

VT1-R
11-11-2007, 01:03 AM
thanks mate.. ozhonda rulz.. and tats coming from a Singaporean student in Australia.. haha..

EG5
11-11-2007, 08:15 AM
any exedy heavy duty will have abit of burnt smell if you ride your clutch.

fatboyz39
11-11-2007, 08:20 AM
any exedy heavy duty will have abit of burnt smell if you ride your clutch.

:thumbsup: totally agree. Makes you look like a bad driver at times :(

Riviera
11-11-2007, 08:27 AM
the clutch doesnt need 1000km

its needs 1000km worth of wear so if u change gears more often not being a hard out, launching whenever possible then it will drop, "around 1000km" sif the clutch knows when youve done 1k-kms...

philBo
11-11-2007, 09:53 AM
dude....you mean FLOOR it lol . Not "FLAW" it ehehehe.

IMO wait 500ks of normal driving to properly bed the clutch in :)

hahhaha thats gold

IEVAQ8
11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
the clutch doesnt need 1000km

its needs 1000km worth of wear so if u change gears more often not being a hard out, launching whenever possible then it will drop, "around 1000km" sif the clutch knows when youve done 1k-kms...

its not a matter of if the clutch knows how many km's u have done, its for ur own benifit, that the longer u inbead it especially with a new fly wheel the better.....ofcourse the clutch and flywheel wont know how many km's u done....................but the difference in inbeading it properly to not is, example. that after 10,000kms with a properly inbeaded clutch it will still be like new, as aposed to a clutch not properly inbeaded after 10,000kms u will see the difference once u pull it out...................could even start to slip by then.................

dsp26
13-11-2007, 12:01 PM
For the HD clutch, a glazed one could shudder when taking off normally. It could also slip more than normal.

please tell me pucks are an exception to this???

I'm on my 2nd one now kindly installed by bennjamin (1st one on another car) and they both shudder on take off... UNLESS... i rev it a bit more.

I do however have a new light fly too... in my other car the shudder never went away either and had been left to the belief that pucks always do this regardless as a lot of other people with various cars reported the same thing....

aaronng
13-11-2007, 12:31 PM
please tell me pucks are an exception to this???

I'm on my 2nd one now kindly installed by bennjamin (1st one on another car) and they both shudder on take off... UNLESS... i rev it a bit more.

I do however have a new light fly too... in my other car the shudder never went away either and had been left to the belief that pucks always do this regardless as a lot of other people with various cars reported the same thing....
Puck/button/paddle clutches are different. They shudder as long as you have them in your car. :)

dsp26
13-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Puck/button/paddle clutches are different. They shudder as long as you have them in your car. :)

sweet thanks, got some peace of mind now... thought i just screwed my clutch. twas painful enough installing them with ben doing 95% of the work :p

IEVAQ8
14-11-2007, 08:30 AM
not completly true.........single plate, twin plates and so on shudder all the time.......but pucks have the same design as a normal/heavy duty clutch......they will shudder until worn in properly....this example is from my bros rx7 series 4 turbo...he has a button in it and it shuddered like a mad c*nt for like 1500km's of normal driving and continued to..........then i took it off his hands for 500kms and inbeaded it agaqin for him...........it dont shudder anymore.
u can ride the button so its not a harsh take off, and hasnt slipped in over 6 months since i re inbeaded it, and my bro drifts it full on, on the street and at the track..........im not saying im the best at running it in.....buttons shouldnt shudder once they are inbeaded properly...............again single plates and twin plates are a different ball game all together......................
i hope this helps.........

(when i say re-inbead, i actually mean inbead properly, as my bro never fully inbeaded it properly in the first place, if that makes sence......)

Limbo
14-11-2007, 08:59 AM
i know mine doesn't like going in reverse when cold, shudders sometimes, but going forward has never been a problem

dsp26
14-11-2007, 09:17 AM
but on sprung pucks, is not because the springs are also A LOT stiffer? coz my puck has dual springs also?? i thought because of the design of sprung pucks, their supposed to be like unsprung buttons, the only time the springs really compress is on hard accelerate and shift, otherwise on low rev engagement when it shudders, the srpings don't do much... evident from revving a tad higher when engaging ther is no shudder...

not completly true.........single plate, twin plates and so on shudder all the time.......but pucks have the same design as a normal/heavy duty clutch......they will shudder until worn in properly....this example is from my bros rx7 series 4 turbo...he has a button in it and it shuddered like a mad c*nt for like 1500km's of normal driving and continued to..........then i took it off his hands for 500kms and inbeaded it agaqin for him...........it dont shudder anymore.
u can ride the button so its not a harsh take off, and hasnt slipped in over 6 months since i re inbeaded it, and my bro drifts it full on, on the street and at the track..........im not saying im the best at running it in.....buttons shouldnt shudder once they are inbeaded properly...............again single plates and twin plates are a different ball game all together......................

(when i say re-inbead, i actually mean inbead properly, as my bro never fully inbeaded it properly in the first place, if that makes sence......)

aaronng
14-11-2007, 11:56 PM

If you are willing to ride the button clutch, of course it will be smooth. But drive a button clutch like a normal full-face clutch, it will shudder more. :)

IEVAQ8
15-11-2007, 09:11 AM
driving a button clutch properly???? u mean dump it??????
coz thats the right way to drive them, they dont really have a friction point its on or off.............so yeh if u dont want any shudder then rev and dump it at a certain rev, where its not too much to spin the wheels and just enough so u dont bog down or stall it............like i said my bros rx7 dont shudder at any revs or any kind of take off................
then again it would definatly be different as its rear wheeld drive.......and the tail shaft would take a lot of the shudder i think............

aaronng
15-11-2007, 10:40 AM
driving a button clutch properly???? u mean dump it??????
coz thats the right way to drive them, they dont really have a friction point its on or off.............so yeh if u dont want any shudder then rev and dump it at a certain rev, where its not too much to spin the wheels and just enough so u dont bog down or stall it............like i said my bros rx7 dont shudder at any revs or any kind of take off................
then again it would definatly be different as its rear wheeld drive.......and the tail shaft would take a lot of the shudder i think............

I meant that dsp26 just got his button clutch installed, and was probably driving using a full face single clutch previously. I'm almost certain that he tried to drive the button clutch like a full face and hence got shuddering.

BTW, what is involved in your "inbeading"?

dsp26
15-11-2007, 08:41 PM
yep thats right lol. and i did it too the last time i had the buttons and was advised the shuddering was normal.... but revving it higher has eliminated it, just wasn't sure if i could as i'm still in the bedding in period (still got 600Km to go).

I meant that dsp26 just got his button clutch installed, and was probably driving using a full face single clutch previously. I'm almost certain that he tried to drive the button clutch like a full face and hence got shuddering.

bennjamin
15-11-2007, 08:43 PM
its normal Ronald. You got a new light weight flywheel and that 6 puck clutch so its going to be alittle un-smooth lol. Wont be much different when its properly bedded in...but you will feel the difference that the flywheel makes :)
Dont forget to come back and re torque , and bleed your clutch fluid etc.

dsp26
15-11-2007, 09:08 PM
yep yep!! all sweet, should be soon. i'm just paranoid... don't know what to expect in terms of clutches as i've never owned any single car long enough to change the clutch twice. and the last 6puck i had i only had for about 3months before it got written off so never knew what to expect. Thanks for all the help btw... it's been sweet!!

also, slightly off-topic... could you please PM your DIY for oil change... i've searched the section and can't find it. Mrs sold the celica for a gsi integra and it has the same crummy shifting feeling before you changed my fluids also.

Thanks!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

its normal Ronald. You got a new light weight flywheel and that 6 puck clutch so its going to be alittle un-smooth lol. Wont be much different when its properly bedded in...but you will feel the difference that the flywheel makes :)
Dont forget to come back and re torque , and bleed your clutch fluid etc.

JDM_VTIR
16-11-2007, 05:22 PM
don't be a hoon. drive responsibly. :)

VT1-R
17-11-2007, 12:21 AM
yup i will. If u promise mi you will too. Haha..