PDA

View Full Version : Turboing EK1

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, after so much trouble with organising a B18C2 conversion, i finally got it all organised, and my cusin was lending me abit of money to help, and i was getting a new job (i don't currently have one) to pay him off. Turns out, i didn't get the job, it went to someone else, and i don't wanna keep him waiting for his money to come back, so im not going through with the conversion. I feel like a real wanker because i have talked about this conversion for ever... but anyway

I have decided to turbo it, was going to get a cheap starting kit, and upgrade bit by bit from there. Just wondering about a few costs, please tell me if i miss something.

I was buying a turbo kit off kerim, which included

Turbo
Manifold
Wastegate
Down pipe
Intercooler piping
Intercooler
BOV
Oil lines
Fittings
Gaskets

& some other things ill need/want

ECU (probably going to get standalone ECU)
New fuel pressure regulator
Better gaskets
Braided oil lines

Is that everything?
And then ill need a turbo complience plate wont i? which is $400 +

Am i missing anything here, or anything else recomended?

gReY-oNe
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
fuel pump and injectors

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
fuel pump and injectors

I didnt think i would need pump and injectors for this setup? Only plan on running like 5PSI.

Although i just remembered to ask. Recently my car started this weird thing, after like 10 minutes of driving, when its fully warmed up and all, it starts chugging up hills....

Like i accelerate, and nothing happens then sorta like feels chuggy, and then it starts to go, Only up hills, even if its a SLIGHT hill. Is this something to do with the fuel system (pump, injectors, pressure regulator) ???

01-11-2007, 06:44 PM
get injectors
+
exhaust

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 06:48 PM
get injectors
+
exhaust

Lol im talking about required stuff!!

Although, if i get a tune with stock injectors, then i upgrade to bigger injectors later, like 550cc, will it benefit a retune, or still run the same??

And are B & D Series aftermarket (like RC) injectors interchangable or not?

aimre
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM
u will need a retue if u get new injectors.

If ur gonna run low boost, dw about injectors and exhaust

and no fuel pump either, the stock honda one is rated pretty high

EKCivic96
01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
if your going to turbo then an exhaust is a must!! (im sure others will back me up). Restricting flow is bad, 2.5" is most common for the 1.6 unless you plan on boosting alot more.
5psi is good, but if the motor is in good cond then 9psi shouldnt be a prob.

search for a thread started by aza bout his build, many pages but real good info in there.
also read up on for d-series.org

good luck

Couper_Trooper
01-11-2007, 08:06 PM
get injectors
+
exhaust

yeh injectors will be a good investment since u already have a fuel reg...
safer in the long run..

so cliche but "do it right the first time":thumbsup:

if u hav a little more patience n save a bit more (unlike me...) u can achieve more out of any kit, by sourcing out various parts

im restricting so much airflow atm on my setup... should've saved 4 a full 3" exhaust... then get it tuned.

no point getting extra parts then retuning it again right?
waste of money...

ecu - around $800 pfc or hondata.. not sure abt hondata tho
tuning - 600+
sard fuel reg - $180
braided oil lines - $70

gReY-oNe
01-11-2007, 08:11 PM
if your going to turbo then an exhaust is a must!! (im sure others will back me up). Restricting flow is bad, 2.5" is most common for the 1.6 unless you plan on boosting alot more.

search for a thread started by aza bout his build, many pages but real good info in there.

good luck

yeah get the exhaust
im runnin mine with a stock exhaust
and its so resrioctive i didnt want one b4 cos i hate loud cars
but looks like a 3'' for me now

And to the thread starter wat do u mean by "chuggin"

Couper_Trooper
01-11-2007, 08:13 PM

good luck

lol... didnt get to finish wat i was typing... u beat me 2 it... lol

im backing u up!!:D

01-11-2007, 08:18 PM
Im talking about required stuff. If you want to be tight then you can get rid of things on your list eg. intercooler,fpr, .If you want whats required for a good healthy setup then listen to advice.;)

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 08:18 PM
yeah get the exhaust
im runnin mine with a stock exhaust
and its so resrioctive i didnt want one b4 cos i hate loud cars
but looks like a 3'' for me now

And to the thread starter wat do u mean by "chuggin"

Chugging; like it goes.... broom broom broom like its all jerky.... like fuel NO FUEL, fuel, NO FUEL, then all normal again... or something...

And cos i couldnt get my B series for now, i was going to save up for it, and turbo for now. But yea, full 3" exhaust makes sense cos that will be reuseable on a B series, and are RC injectors interchangable on B & D series? So if i buy them now, can i swap them over my B motor which i plan on getting down the track?

Not sure if its fuel pump, thats why i thought if it is, ill just get an aftermarket one instead of a replacment honda one.

And should i bother with the fuel pressure regulator? Or waist of money for running 5PSI ?

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Im talking about required stuff. If you want to be tight then you can get rid of things on your list eg. intercooler,fpr, .If you want whats required for a good healthy setup then listen to advice.;)

But ive read on a few places stock injectors are fine for 5psi..
But i can keep this off road for a few months, seeing rego is out tomorrow, and i can save up and get all these parts to make it run nice, then get a tune...

Also should i think about getting new clutch? its 220k KM on engine... not sure if original clutch tho... only owned car for 5000 or so...
I was thinking about replacing head for one with lower K's also, seeing they under like $100, but thats after EVERYTHING else if i think its a good idea still.

01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
if you want your car street legal you will also need to pass EPA

01-11-2007, 08:26 PM
if you change injectors and fuel pump then you need a adjustable fuel pressure regulator..
you can get away running standard everything, but i personally would upgrade the fuel system with forced induction

gReY-oNe
01-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Chugging; like it goes.... broom broom broom like its all jerky.... like fuel NO FUEL, fuel, NO FUEL, then all normal again... or something...

And cos i couldnt get my B series for now, i was going to save up for it, and turbo for now. But yea, full 3" exhaust makes sense cos that will be reuseable on a B series, and are RC injectors interchangable on B & D series? So if i buy them now, can i swap them over my B motor which i plan on getting down the track?

Not sure if its fuel pump, thats why i thought if it is, ill just get an aftermarket one instead of a replacment honda one.

And should i bother with the fuel pressure regulator? Or waist of money for running 5PSI ?

have u checked ur spark plugs?
i noe it sounds stupid and everything but check the spark plugs and fuel filter
in extreme cases check ur starter motor
tahts wat happened to my car
and i thought the fuel pump wasnt installed right.
but it was the spark plugs not enough to get my fuel pump running correctly

injectors not too sure if its interchangable or not
im gonna take a guess and say yes becos u can get injector clip to suit ur car
correct me here someone

But ive read on a few places stock injectors are fine for 5psi...
stock injectors would be fine for 5psi

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 08:28 PM
That was my other concern, how can i be sure it will pass EPA? Will that depend on the tune? Or could i go for EPA test with no wastegate spring... so its like no boost?

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 08:30 PM
have u checked ur spark plugs?
i noe it sounds stupid and everything but check the spark plugs and fuel filter
in extreme cases check ur starter motor
tahts wat happened to my car
and i thought the fuel pump wasnt installed right.
but it was the spark plugs not enough to get my fuel pump running correctly

injectors not too sure if its interchangable or not
im gonna take a guess and say yes becos u can get injector clip to suit ur car
correct me here someone

stock injectors would be fine for 5psi

Car going into workshop tomorrow, so ill get 4 new spark plugs then, and change my fuel filter. Work on car begins tomorrow, and as soon as kerim replies, ill find when turbo comes =)

Couper_Trooper
01-11-2007, 08:32 PM

true... so very true...:thumbsup: where were u when i needed advice.. lol

trust me dude... 5psi wont be enough... u'll get use to it pretty quick..
im running 6psi.. n i want more!!!!
too late for me tho.. no more money atm..

patience is ur friend... dont rush into things.. it will only cause a lot of unnecessary headaches down d track.. even at the start...

if u want to learn more abt turbos n stuff.. by all means jump right in..
i've learnt heaps.. but i've also spent more than my budget...
starting budget$2000, currently $3500 n erupting... lol

01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
depends on the tune, most tuners have tuned cars so they pass epa before, just get someone with experience and tell them.

gReY-oNe
01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
true... so very true...:thumbsup: where were u when i needed advice.. lol

trust me dude... 5psi wont be enough... u'll get use to it pretty quick..
im running 6psi.. n i want more!!!!
too late for me tho.. no more money atm..

patience is ur friend... dont rush into things.. it will only cause a lot of unnecessary headaches down d track.. even at the start...

if u want to learn more abt turbos n stuff.. by all means jump right in..
i've learnt heaps.. but i've also spent more than my budget...
starting budget$2000, currently $3500 n erupting... lol

LOL i havnt met anyone who stayed "within" budget

always wanting more
LOL

01-11-2007, 08:38 PM
it also depends on your turbo, a big turbo and small turbo at 5psi are not the same thing and cause different stress levels on your engine

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Well its XSpower turbo =\
Normally i wouldnt put XSpower near my car, but it already has 220k KM so yea why not :p

After i turbo it, ill put every dollar towards B series, and ill wait till i have every dollor of it, because being indebt/owing people sucks, haha.

Couper_Trooper
01-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Well its XSpower turbo =\
Normally i wouldnt put XSpower near my car, but it already has 220k KM so yea why not :p

After i turbo it, ill put every dollar towards B series, and ill wait till i have every dollor of it, because being indebt/owing people sucks, haha.

Xspower is da bomb!!! lmao...
my kit still in good shape :thumbsup:& its been through hell n back d last couple of days.. hehehe

i sat in my bro-in-law's car after he finished his b18cr conversion in his ef9...
n same day got my car tuned... no way near the adrenalin rush as his car..:(

was gonna go N/A but couldnt put $5000 on credit.. lol
owing ppl makes me :( $1200 to pay off n back to buying more car stuff..

missus not too happy tho.. lol

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Xspower is da bomb!!! lmao...
my kit still in good shape :thumbsup:& its been through hell n back d last couple of days.. hehehe

i sat in my bro-in-law's car after he finished his b18cr conversion in his ef9...
n same day got my car tuned... no way near the adrenalin rush as his car..:(

was gonna go N/A but couldnt put $5000 on credit.. lol
owing ppl makes me :( $1200 to pay off n back to buying more car stuff..

missus not too happy tho.. lol

Thats the other thing, at moment i can only get a B18C2, maybe if i save up i can afford better like a B18CR!

And another thing
If i had a B18C2, cant i just put in type R springs, pistons, rods, valves, cams, then its just as good as type R motor?

fatboyz39
01-11-2007, 10:07 PM
u will need a retue if u get new injectors.

If ur gonna run low boost, dw about injectors and exhaust

and no fuel pump either, the stock honda one is rated pretty high

Your joking right?

fatboyz39
01-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Do it right the first time. Don't do it bit by bit then upgrading and etc will end up costing more and over budget. A complete turbo kit including install/ECU/tune looking at around 4-5k...

CXI turbo? hmmmm don't know about that...you'll be lucky to hit 100-110kw atw with 6-8psi.

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Do it right the first time. Don't do it bit by bit then upgrading and etc will end up costing more and over budget. A complete turbo kit including install/ECU/tune looking at around 4-5k...

CXI turbo? hmmmm don't know about that...you'll be lucky to hit 100-110kw atw with 6-8psi.

Im installing. Kit included all pieces excluding ECU. Dont have a power goal, just doing for the hell of it, and cos its faster then a stock CXi lol. Im sure it will last for 6 months at least? Then ill see what happens after that.

I think i will get an exhaust done too.
And what you think about fuel pump?

1996ek1
01-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Another question,

If i get a full exhaust, will i want 2.5" or 3"?
Will there be any benefit of 3" on a 1.6 5PSI ?

01-11-2007, 11:31 PM
3inch

aimre
01-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Your joking right?

Nop, im not. Look at a greddy kit.

- No exhaust
- No Injector
- No Fuel Pump
- No cooler
- No fuel Reg

And dont give me none of this none of this, u need this and that BS.

That works fine aslong as he keeps to 5 psi, and how do i know? I have been personally associated with 3 cars now that have run like this. One for 12 months now.

And whats this do it right the first time crap?

When has n e one done up everything on there car in one go?

Serisously. He wants to run 5 psi, he can WITHOUT them things. If he wants more power, he can start upgrading thins to suit the power.

Benson
02-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Im installing. Kit included all pieces excluding ECU. Dont have a power goal, just doing for the hell of it, and cos its faster then a stock CXi lol. Im sure it will last for 6 months at least? Then ill see what happens after that.

I think i will get an exhaust done too.
And what you think about fuel pump?

IMO dont waste your money if you are doing it for the sake of it. SAve up and get yourself that b18c conversion. Turbo D especially CXI are a waste of money.

And in regards to legally, you'll need to get it engineers, while an engine conversion to a b18c wouldn't require one.

Benson
02-11-2007, 12:46 AM
3inch

nice recommendation :eek:

Sexc86
02-11-2007, 07:10 AM
turbo D is only a waste of money if its built incorrently and "for the sake" not to last....

If done with research and not rushed it is very very well worth it.

You dont need a

Wastegate - Buy a turbo with internal
Fuel Pressure Reg - Factory is fine

Injectors
Fuel Pump
Ecu
Exhaust
Clutch

somethings you can do step by step... but in my experience things like these need support mods to last. If you want it to.

1996ek1
02-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Sorry, didnt just mean doing it for the hell of it, i meant more that
I have no power goal, and im doing it for the sake of easy power. I cant save any longer, this car is my automotive project and i have to start working on it.

ekdez
02-11-2007, 09:19 AM
3" inch full exhaust wont fit under an ek?.. i thought 2"1/4 or 2.5" is the largest possible which will fit..

1996ek1
02-11-2007, 09:48 AM
3" inch full exhaust wont fit under an ek?.. i thought 2"1/4 or 2.5" is the largest possible which will fit..

Iuno about that, but i know AZA fit a 3"

tekung89
02-11-2007, 10:48 AM
lol i thought this thread was to list required stuff =P

from ur list:
Turbo
Manifold
Wastegate
Down pipe
Intercooler piping
Intercooler
BOV
Oil lines
Fittings
Gaskets

that seems about right, i would recomment braided lines =/ wouldnt trust rubber with hot oil. is ur turbo water cooled as well? might wanna grab some lines for that if it is. definately invest urself a boost gauge, unles u ddnt state it because its jus something everyone has for a turbosetup. grab urself a adjustable FPR for sure. and while its not tuned and u need to run around because ur so horny to test out the boost, run it rich =). and im guessing u'll be running stock boost of the turbo if u dnt have a boost controller, which could be 6-7psi?, as for ur gaskets hehe if they're the ebay type which is bling bling with little holes in and feels like cardboard, then i recommend getting some new gaskets, remember to get gasket .. sealant? glue?.
other wise, honda fuel pumps are pretty underrated =) them things work hard i tell ya

tekung89
02-11-2007, 10:51 AM
ohh one more thing, sohc FTW! lol i jus had to say it. best of luck buddy

ekdez
02-11-2007, 01:01 PM
mm well good luck with that.. 3" no doubt it will be over legal limit in dB for the exhaust.. or however they measure it..

tRipitaka
02-11-2007, 01:16 PM
But yea, full 3" exhaust makes sense cos that will be reuseable on a B series

you wouldn't want a 3" exhaust on a stock b-series engine..
even turboing a stock b-series engine, you still wouldn't go 3"

SLOWEGG
02-11-2007, 01:32 PM
mm well good luck with that.. 3" no doubt it will be over legal limit in dB for the exhaust.. or however they measure it..

No it wont. As long as you run a resonator or muffler. The turbo will suck up most of the noise.

Also why wouldnt u use a 3" on a stock turbo b series?

02-11-2007, 02:32 PM
you should use a 3" on a 1.3l starlet gt, so ofcourse you should use one for b16a turbo.
and ofcourse you dont use one on a stock n/a b series.

tRipitaka
02-11-2007, 04:37 PM
if he's planning to run 5psi..
is 3" really necessary ?

most cars that i've seen here (with kits).. run 2.5"
b16a with 2.5" making 130-140kw
b18c with 2.5" making 150kw+

both engines ontouched

even 2.25" is enough..
i know of a car (d16y8 9psi) that made 130kw with a 2.25" exhaust..
even the GReddy kits are ok for 2.25"..

if 2.25" is fine for the kit.. it'll be perfect for the na b18c2 you'll be putting in..

the real question is, do you plan to boost your b18c2 when you put it in ? or is it staying NA ?

either way, in my opinion, go for 2.5inch..

02-11-2007, 07:20 PM
if they change to 3inch running 5psi or 10psi or whatever psi theyll be making more power

fatboyz39
02-11-2007, 08:47 PM
2.5' more then fine. 3' overkill unless its a HUGE setup.

02-11-2007, 09:59 PM
3"exhaust is one of the best mods to do on any turbo car, but since you know its 'overkill' lol explain why?

ekdez
03-11-2007, 12:33 AM
how isn't it over kill.. lol?

btw does 3" even fit under a ek1? the guys car who we are helping out...

SLOWEGG
03-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Yes it will fit but it will sit abit lower.

1996ek1
03-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Yea, once i get B series, i'd put it in, then save abit more money to buy required parts. (B series manifold, and probably new turbo + downpipe, i would want XSpower near my B18, and better intercooler)

I put in first post some things i wanted to upgrade being
Better oil lines
Better gaskets

Some others are
Electronic boost controller
better wastegate + bov (would be last, after ECU + tune)

And i might just go 2.5" then, it sounds like less hastle ?

LVNIT
03-11-2007, 11:20 AM
I cant believe the amount of shit that gets posted around these forced induction forums now ;)

1996ek1 - a bit of advice.

You get what you pay for. Your buying a brand new kit that is only slightly more expensive then a Garrett turbo, there is a reason for this. Poor quality workmanship, materials, etc.

In light of this, this is what I would do IF i were you. Keep the intercooler, intercooler piping, oil lines, gaskets and sell the rest to some idiot on ebay.

You can buy a brand new Garrett turbo from cheapturbo.com for a reasonable price. Go onto honda-tech and find a cheap cast manifold, there are plenty of them available for good prices. Hell I got mine from a user off these boards for 200 odd dollars brand new. While your there you might aswell try and find a downpipe while your at it. Then go to tunertoys.com and pick up some 440cc injectors, they make a great product with lots of happy customers.

Bolt it all up, grab yourself an emanage and head to a tuner. The emanage is relatively easy to tune and gives great results, PM weq if you want confirmation of this.

While this will cost you more, your going to have a kit that WILL last longer then what you have at the moment and give greater results. I don't really care if anyone on here tells me there is nothing wrong with that kit that you have at the moment, it is shit :wave:

03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
its not overkill because he will be going b-series with a new turbo and will be making 250+ hp and a 2.5" will be a waste of power and in the meantime a 3" will do no harm at all, it will be the same if not better than a 2.5". So stop talking shit, in no way is 3" overkill for even his current planned setup let alone future one. Turbo is opposite to n/a some of you seem to be getting mixed up.

1996ek1
03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.
Leave me with 1 question, should i get a new fuel pressure regulator, or even an adjustable one ?

And what should i do with sparkplugs?
I read you should get 1 degrees colder plugs or something to that effect?

1996ek1
03-11-2007, 01:26 PM
I cant believe the amount of shit that gets posted around these forced induction forums now ;)

1996ek1 - a bit of advice.

You get what you pay for. Your buying a brand new kit that is only slightly more expensive then a Garrett turbo, there is a reason for this. Poor quality workmanship, materials, etc.

In light of this, this is what I would do IF i were you. Keep the intercooler, intercooler piping, oil lines, gaskets and sell the rest to some idiot on ebay.

You can buy a brand new Garrett turbo from cheapturbo.com for a reasonable price. Go onto honda-tech and find a cheap cast manifold, there are plenty of them available for good prices. Hell I got mine from a user off these boards for 200 odd dollars brand new. While your there you might aswell try and find a downpipe while your at it. Then go to tunertoys.com and pick up some 440cc injectors, they make a great product with lots of happy customers.

Bolt it all up, grab yourself an emanage and head to a tuner. The emanage is relatively easy to tune and gives great results, PM weq if you want confirmation of this.

While this will cost you more, your going to have a kit that WILL last longer then what you have at the moment and give greater results. I don't really care if anyone on here tells me there is nothing wrong with that kit that you have at the moment, it is shit :wave:

Yea i think its shit too, but i dont have money for a great kit, for now lol. I wanted to get a GT28RS later on, and they are $1200 +, so i thought if i get a starter kit, then buy that later on, instead of spending a few hundred on a better turbo now, then the GT28RS later on, which would waist more in the end.

And i dont want to buy a new manifold, because i plan to go b series, if this one can last 8+ months which i read it could, thats enough to save for a b series. That way i dont buy a D series manifold which im which wont fit my b series.

I appreciate the advice, i might try sell the turbo and get a better one though, like you said. I planned on keeping all charge piping + intercooler, they should last.

Limbo
03-11-2007, 03:49 PM
GT28RS is more like $1450, i know someone who recently purchased one.
On a D series running about 7PSI with a GT28R you get about 115kw atw (these are cars i know of but will not mention names as they don't like to be mentioned).
I've seen the GT28RS run at 10PSI with stock internals 175kw atw.
Both these kits got a new fuel pump & injectors. Might as well get them now cos you will need them in future and they can be reused in the B series.
You don't want your engine to blow up from lack of fuel. I know in the US they use the cheap option of a rising fuel pressure regulator instead of the injectors and fuel pump.

OzSir2
03-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Will 3" be too big for below boost rpm by not allowing enough back pressure, and make the driveability worse than stock exhaust for a turbo on a b16a (or any other engine for that matter)? Because the car is acting as a N/A car up until boost kicks in...is that right?

LVNIT
03-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Yea i think its shit too, but i dont have money for a great kit, for now lol. I wanted to get a GT28RS later on, and they are $1200 +, so i thought if i get a starter kit, then buy that later on, instead of spending a few hundred on a better turbo now, then the GT28RS later on, which would waist more in the end.

And i dont want to buy a new manifold, because i plan to go b series, if this one can last 8+ months which i read it could, thats enough to save for a b series. That way i dont buy a D series manifold which im which wont fit my b series.

I appreciate the advice, i might try sell the turbo and get a better one though, like you said. I planned on keeping all charge piping + intercooler, they should last.

While I have seen this manifold last on the rare occasion, majority of people find that it cracks within the first month. By all means you might be one of the few lucky people who have a turbo last on them, but ill put money down that the manifold wont.

If anything just make sure you get the injectors, don't worry about regulators or fuel pumps, you do not need them. Get yourself an emanage so you at least have something half decent. :)

Edit: You can also pick up a basic Garrett turbo from cheapturbo.com (not a GT series) for AU$670 + shipping costs. So not a whole lot more for something which will most definitely last.

Limbo
03-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I think 3" will be too much on a low boosted car. For the D series i think 2 1/2 would be enough. You have to rem its only a 1.6ltr and under boost it will run really dogged

tRipitaka
03-11-2007, 04:55 PM
its not overkill because he will be going b-series with a new turbo and will be making 250+ hp and a 2.5" will be a waste of power and in the meantime a 3" will do no harm at all, it will be the same if not better than a 2.5". So stop talking shit, in no way is 3" overkill for even his current planned setup let alone future one. Turbo is opposite to n/a some of you seem to be getting mixed up.

3" is recommended when there's been work done to the engine.. e.g. forged piston kit, forged connecting rods, aftermarket camshafts & valve springs.. i.e. going for 200kw+ on a b-series

for 105 - 200kw.. 2.5" is enough.. for b and d series engines..

and this has been recommended by a few knowledgeable people on this forum.. (if you want the link, pm me, and i'll send it to you)

but it really depends on the setup.. the setup that 1996ek1 has provided, 3" is overkill.

but feel free to prove me wrong..

LVNIT
03-11-2007, 05:02 PM
3" is recommended when there's been work done to the engine.. e.g. forged piston kit, forged connecting rods, aftermarket camshafts & valve springs.. i.e. going for 200kw+ on a b-series

for 105 - 200kw.. 2.5" is enough.. for b and d series engines..

and this has been recommended by a few knowledgeable people on this forum.. (if you want the link, pm me, and i'll send it to you)

but it really depends on the setup.. the setup that 1996ek1 has provided, 3" is overkill.

but feel free to prove me wrong..

Just to reiterate what has been said, I had 2.5" on my B series turbo and it was fine. :)

03-11-2007, 06:26 PM
2.5 inch fine
3 inch will be the same or much better depending on his parts.
What you are claiming is overkill. Nothing more to discuss.

03-11-2007, 06:28 PM
Will 3" be too big for below boost rpm by not allowing enough back pressure, and make the driveability worse than stock exhaust for a turbo on a b16a (or any other engine for that matter)? Because the car is acting as a N/A car up until boost kicks in...is that right?

with turbo you want to get rid of backpressure and a larger exhaust will aid in spool time.
when youre turbo the na concept goes out the window.

Sexc86
03-11-2007, 07:54 PM
^ agreed

1996ek1
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
How does a nismo ballbearing T28 (i think it was a T28) sound?
I was thinking of getting that, and ill just sell the XSpower turbo, get my manifold reinforced, and get a 2.5" exhaust made.

But this will mean i need the T3 flange cut off, and ill have to get a T2 weld on, wont i? Which means i wont need it reinforced, ill just get them to reinforce the new T2 flange welding? Or should i get a T3 -> T2 joiner thing, that goes between turbo and manifold?
Would this be a good plan?

1996ek1
04-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I just thought about this.

That means i will chop off manifold flange, weld on new one, reinforce it, sell turbo, need a new dump pipe+down pipe made up. What is the point in buying this kit in that case.

I might as well just buy an intercooler+ charge piping, scilicone joiners + t clamps, exhaust manifold, get full 2.5" exhaust made up and that will be almost the same price as the kit i think?

What yous recon ?

LVNIT
05-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Far better off not buying that cheap kit and doing what you just said.

You will end up with better quality parts ;)

RedVTi
05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, after so much trouble with organising a B18C2 conversion, i finally got it all organised, and my cusin was lending me abit of money to help, and i was getting a new job (i don't currently have one) to pay him off. Turns out, i didn't get the job, it went to someone else, and i don't wanna keep him waiting for his money to come back, so im not going through with the conversion. I feel like a real wanker because i have talked about this conversion for ever... but anyway

I have decided to turbo it, was going to get a cheap starting kit, and upgrade bit by bit from there. Just wondering about a few costs, please tell me if i miss something.

I was buying a turbo kit off kerim, which included

Turbo
Manifold
Wastegate
Down pipe
Intercooler piping
Intercooler
BOV
Oil lines
Fittings
Gaskets

& some other things ill need/want

ECU (probably going to get standalone ECU)
New fuel pressure regulator
Better gaskets
Braided oil lines

Is that everything?
And then ill need a turbo complience plate wont i? which is $400 +

Am i missing anything here, or anything else recomended?

I have already bought the kit from Kerim 3 weeks ago and getting it installed this Wednesday. So i will be able to tell you more next week.

My setup will include the following:

Kerim Xs turbokit
Sard Fuel regulator
Apexi AFC-Neo
Xforce 2.5" Cat

And i may get the RC 440cc fuel injectors and new fuel pump if required. A clutch and flywheel upgrade are on the list too.

As this stage, I don't what to expect yet.

The guy who is doing the installation have a good setup on his civic with Rev hard manifold and garett turbo. I think this initial setup of my kit will be laggy as the XS turbo is a T3/T4 spec and the intercooler seems too big for the job.

I have been a Nissan Fan for the last 10 years( still is ) but i have recently caught the Honda turbo bug. Civic seems like a good choice with so many things to choice from. You can hop up as much as your budget allows you to and never have to worry about finding parts.

Aza
05-11-2007, 03:06 PM

facing back
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex001.jpg

facing forward (can see cat)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex003.jpg

dump pipe
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex005.jpg

3" going past rear tyre (no it doesnt hit)
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex007.jpg

muffler
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/Aza_LN46/ex008.jpg

no it wont fit at all :confused:

Aza
05-11-2007, 03:18 PM
im just going to direct u to this

My Turbo Build (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61172)

pretty much goes through every problem u could possible run into.

previously this car was running a xs power kit and i have the xs power turbo sitting in my shed still fully seized from 12 months use in the car.

on this setup i went to us an rb20 turbo second hand, i wouldnt do this again. they dont last very long being second hand, they are cheap but dont expect them to last long.

the kit will work and u will see a good power gain from it, but dont expect to much if ur not willing to put the dosh in it.

1996ek1
05-11-2007, 11:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CIVIC-Turbo-Manifold-SOHC-DX-LX-EX-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33632QQihZ013QQit emZ230186535209QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Would this be a good manifold, but i wount have to get T3 flange + WG adapter cut off, and a T2 flange welded on. Would it be worth it? I cant find a T2 flange, unless someone can point me in the right dirrection. I'd rather avoid ebay parts, and want to try spend under $200.

LVNIT
06-11-2007, 10:13 AM
No that is an SSAUTOCHROME manifold, it is the same as the one in that kit you were looking at.

AVO sell a cast iron manifold that will suit, it is $680 however.

Limbo
06-11-2007, 02:22 PM
You can't reinforce a manifold, especially those stainless steel ones your talking about. The steel is too thin.

For a decent manifold your looking more than $200.

The AVO one is good for a log manifold, but out of your budget.

Next best thing would be a second hand manifold. Just be careful with any US ones as they sometimes don't fit or you loose a/c & powersteering. If you get a second hand one try making sure it is cast or steam piped, that way you don't have to worry about the manifold cracking due to previous heat stress.

Otherwise your looking at more $$$

1996ek1
06-11-2007, 07:58 PM
No that is an SSAUTOCHROME manifold, it is the same as the one in that kit you were looking at.

AVO sell a cast iron manifold that will suit, it is $680 however.

I thought it was an SSautochrome manifold...

Can anyone help me out, as to where i can find a second hand manifold, or okay one for around $200 ?

Sexc86
06-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Cmon man you need to be really carefull about buying stuff off ebay. Really you shouldnt touch xspower or ssac..

just try find a simple log manifold or get one custom made from thicker quality stainless.

SLOWEGG
06-11-2007, 08:13 PM
200? you're not gonna find anything good for that price. Spend abit more and you can buy a stainless steel custom log manifold from the states.

1996ek1
06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
How much more? I dont wanna keep the D series for that long, cos im still going B series, so dont wanna spend a HEAPS on this manifold. Only has to last maximum 1 year....

1996ek1
06-11-2007, 09:32 PM
This looks perfect

JJR Turbo Manifold - Honda D16 Price: $299
Suit Honda D16 Single Cam Engine
http://www.justjap.com/parts/new/exhaust/jjrhondaturboman.jpg

Although this style isnt the best is it? Doesnt have the best flow does it?
And i know someone from justjap so i cant get like 50% off i think.

Wow looks good, will deffinatley be $200 or under :D

SLOWEGG
06-11-2007, 10:01 PM
IF you're gonna go b series soon why not just wait till then? Instead going off wasting money on crap.

1996ek1
06-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Because to be honest most shit is free. At first i was getting kerims $1150 kit, but then thought might do it properly. One of my good friends dad owns an exhaust shop, so pretty much knows everyone in the buisness.

And as i talked more to my friend, he said he'll get me a cheap full exhaust, all i have to pay is muffler+cat, so im going to go 3". They are also going to do all intercooler piping free, and i can get that manifold from justjap for 50% off, free bov and scilicone joiners too.

I have to just pay for a few things here so yea.... main costs to me will be ECU + TUNE. Getting some parts Thursday night, so ill see how that goes.

1996ek1
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Probably sounds like im talking shit the way i keep going on, from 1 plan to another to another, how everything changes so often, but ill take photos of the stuff thursday :thumbsup:

Limbo
06-11-2007, 11:18 PM
if your dad's friend does exhaust ask him to make you a log manifold. SHould be fairly easy then.

The cast manifold is alright, just make sure that it clears the engine parts, also make sure what flange you want or get, cos you can't weld to a cast iron manifold.

1996ek1
06-11-2007, 11:27 PM
My friends dad** and to be honest i didnt think of that, ill ask him tomorrow about it. Although that would take alot more time and effort, although would be cheaper for me, and would most likely flow better? That JJR one looks abit tight at the collector.

LVNIT
07-11-2007, 09:18 AM
www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com)

Look in the parts forum and find yourself a cheap second hand manifold. If I had the time I would find it for you, but i dont.. :)

philBo
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
IF you're gonna go b series soon why not just wait till then? Instead going off wasting money on crap.

damn straight

1996ek1
07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
www.honda-tech.com (http://www.honda-tech.com)

Look in the parts forum and find yourself a cheap second hand manifold. If I had the time I would find it for you, but i dont.. :)

I had a quick look the other day. Didnt find anything. Im meant to be looking in their FS section right?

1996ek1
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
damn straight

Because i have an automotive HSC project that i need to start. I cant wait and save rest of money for engine. Without a job i cant pay it off, so i dont wanna take the money which was going to be lent to me.

LVNIT
07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I had a quick look the other day. Didnt find anything. Im meant to be looking in their FS section right?

Ill have a look for you..

1996ek1
07-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Ill have a look for you..

thanks. ill try look again too

And this is going to suck....
I have money to complete turbo setup and all
But then tuning + complience + rego

Will cost atleast 2200 wont it ?

LVNIT
08-11-2007, 07:15 AM
600~ tuning
600~ rego
600~ engineers

Aza
08-11-2007, 07:57 AM
most places up here charge 150$ for a mod plate in queensland.

mind u any mod plate put on a civic for a turbo is dodgey, u cannot LEGALLY turbo a civic due to it falls under the car catergory MA (check under ur hood if u dont believe me :)) MA is family car and bolt on turbo guidelines specificly say a bolt on turbo kit can not be fitted to this catergory. Most coppers dont no shit thought so alot of people get away with it if they have a dodgey plate.

1996ek1
08-11-2007, 09:57 AM
most places up here charge 150$ for a mod plate in queensland.

mind u any mod plate put on a civic for a turbo is dodgey, u cannot LEGALLY turbo a civic due to it falls under the car catergory MA (check under ur hood if u dont believe me :)) MA is family car and bolt on turbo guidelines specificly say a bolt on turbo kit can not be fitted to this catergory. Most coppers dont no shit thought so alot of people get away with it if they have a dodgey plate.

I could just drive it up there and save alot of money then, haha
But i have no rego:rolleyes:

1996ek1
08-11-2007, 09:58 AM
600~ tuning
600~ rego
600~ engineers

My greenslip was like 600, and rego was about 200.

LVNIT
08-11-2007, 10:55 AM
My greenslip was like 600, and rego was about 200.

Yeah well im from Canberra, so no surprise that I got it wrong ;)

hondavti25
08-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey dude ... tryed looking at Greddy kits? all there missing is pump and cooler? There cheapish good quality and used by alot of D series turbo boys in the states and pull good numbers. I think i found a compination package on a site with Greddy Turbo kit Greddy Front mont for 3500ish ? Should look into that if you have a lil extra cash.

1996ek1
10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
What would yous recommend in electronic boost controllers?

Apexi Digital AVC-R Boost Controller
Turbosmart e-Boost2

Are what im most interested in, what are your opinions?

rnbguy
10-11-2007, 07:20 PM
dood if you really want a cheap setup that wont produce too much power like mine about 100kw atw (stock exhaust)

then just get the turbo essentials dont worry bout clutch and fuel pump or any of that stuff just yet, till u decide to upgrade, hell ive been running a vafc and sitc just fine, many people will advise you against it, but ill tell u the same thing i tell my mates turboing their civics, write down what u need in ur setup.. keep it minimal and dont go all out if u have a budget, but dont be put off too much by the "poshy" comments (like telling u to spend 4k+)

u can do this setup for 2000-2500 without labour if u do it urself...

dont get stuff u dont need

1996ek1
10-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Its k, ive pretty much worked this out.
I can manage it with an electronic boost controller, and wondering what your opinions are

Apexi Digital AVC-R Boost Controller
Turbosmart e-Boost2

Or something else?

SLOWEGG
10-11-2007, 07:51 PM
How much boost r you planning to run? if its low just run off the wastegate and save yourself some money. No need to go off and spending 400+ on a EBC for just 7psi.

1996ek1
10-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Well i wanted a 2stage controller. At about 6psi, then 10 psi.
And it doesnt matter, please just answer the question lol.

Sexc86
10-11-2007, 09:18 PM

agreed

1996ek1
10-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Long story. Please answer. Buying an EBC wont hurt the pocket.
You wouldnt believe how much im really paying for this setup.

& whats a better choice for me, if i hav a GT25 @ 6psi roughly, with 2" intercooler piping ( i should go 2" right? )

Cooling-Pro Universal Intercooler - Large Type
Tube & Fin - 600 x 300 x 76mm - 3 inch Outlets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cooling-Pro Universal Intercooler - Large Type Price: $179
Bar & Plate - 600 x 300 x 76mm - 3 inch Outlets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cooling-Pro Universal Intercooler - Large Type Price: $179
Bar & Plate - 600 x 300 x 76mm - 2.5 inch Outlets

Ive read about bar & plate and tube & fin, and read bar & plate has larger pressure drop, and thought maybe this intercooler is too large for me, and would great too much lag at 6psi ? And do inlet/outlet sizes make a difference? Some have 3" others 2.5".

Im going to assume tube & fin would be a better choice for me?

Aza
12-11-2007, 07:56 AM
go 2.5" piping

Limbo
12-11-2007, 08:55 AM
i got myself a Turbosmart e-Boost2 - They cost around the $800 mark.
Apexi Digital AVC-R Boost Controller cost around the $500 mark.

You could just get a cheap manual boost controller which would be under $50

1996ek1
12-11-2007, 07:52 PM
i got myself a Turbosmart e-Boost2 - They cost around the $800 mark.
Apexi Digital AVC-R Boost Controller cost around the $500 mark.

You could just get a cheap manual boost controller which would be under $50

Apexi AVC-R Boost Controller is around $700, or abit more.

Have you used your e-boost2 or your setup not finished yet?
If so how is it, would you recommend it. And i dont like those manual boost controller, i want EBC!!!!

As for piping 2.5" and 3" will cost me the exact same, but im already getting them for cheap.
Would you still recommend 2.5" even if same price?

Limbo
12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
i've seen AVC-R boost controllers go for around $500 new on ebay.
I've heard the Turbosmart is supose to be one of the best, but haven't used mine yet.
GOt it as a pressie

For a small turbo setup, i'd use the 2.5", wouldn't really use 3" unless you goto 15PSI or more