PDA

View Full Version : Cam Gears

|nick|
01-11-2007, 10:55 PM
hey, i have an opportunity to pick up some cam gears for a d16y4 for a decent price, theyre adjustable etc

just wondering the pros and cons to getting a cam gears and if theyre worth getting

thanks

Dell99
01-11-2007, 10:58 PM
someone is going to say it
may as well be me :p

save the money n get a engine conversion.

Y mod a D series engine if ur going to keep it n/a n get sh!t all results

hondavti25
01-11-2007, 11:15 PM
I say go for it but as said and this is coming from a Dseries owner... its not worth the extra money unless you wanna turbo it...i doubt youd notice to much a differance. but good luck either way

|nick|
02-11-2007, 12:31 AM
well its going to be my daily to the trainstation, so i dont need a super quick car. Just wondering if it was worth getting cams because i have to opportunity to get some :o

Spoon SiRG
02-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Dude,if you're just getting the cam gear to put on your standard cam you're just adjusting your engines powerband;you wont get any power gains from that. If you're planning to get an aftermarket cam to go along with that cam gear then go for it.

"Life begins above5500rpm" www.above5500rpm.cjb.net

Limbo
02-11-2007, 08:06 PM
dunno with the D series, but with the B series it gives a good mid-end pickup. If the price is cheap why not. I haven't seen many people with D series have this so you won't really know until you get it and put it in.

THe CAM gear does move power and not create power, so just keep that in mind. If it doesn't work you can always turbo your car and then the CAM gear will come in handy

beeza
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I have the d16y4 aswell and I have an adjustable cam gear and have been in 2 minds whether or not to install it.What I found out is the only reason I am keeping it now is because I want to get my car dyno tuned so I will talk to the tuner and ask him if it will be beneficial to have one on there when he tune's it.

If you get a camshaft it's worth installing but no one makes them for the y4.You have to go for a custom job or a re-grind which may be expensive.

aaronng
02-11-2007, 09:02 PM
On a D series, the camgear will affect BOTH intake and exhaust. So you can't really dial in any overlap if you wanted to.... It's a waste of money on an SOHC. Spend your money elsewhere...

|nick|
03-11-2007, 01:51 AM
thanks for the input guys :thumbsup:

doesn't seem to be worth doing then? it was an AEM one for $60 brand new i think

blk_shadow
03-11-2007, 09:17 AM
I'd rather spend the money on suspension tuning.

nvdvtc
03-11-2007, 12:59 PM
depending on wat do u really want for your car and if u want engine conversion or suspension set up depending on wat you want and wat u really like well good luck all best cheerz duy