PDA

View Full Version : Lotsa little backfires!

GIPONU
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
My teg HAD extractors and a unichip installed.
which it used to have the stock muffler it used to backfire abit, like you could hear it slightly when ur on low revs changing gears.

NOW, i have installed a larger muffler and still have the unichip and extractors.
changing from gears 1>2 , 2>3 on low revs it'll backfire abit, its noticeable.
and when shifting down on some gears it also backfires abit. Like its not so loud that it goes "BANG!". its just a slight "popopopop" sound..

wat do i need to change or tune to get it fixed?
a ecu re-tune? or tappets? or anything?

thanks.

TheFranchise
02-11-2007, 11:12 PM
the same thing used to happen in my prelude, the pop pop pop pop....it actually grows on you and its sounds pretty tough hahaha

GIPONU
02-11-2007, 11:20 PM
i find it tough now...lol
but it is a problem.lol, would love to have problem solved.lols
friends s15 with now exhaust also has the same problem..haha

TheFranchise
02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
honestly cant help you with how to solve it, maybe adding another res. or something might help ease the pressure of the exhaust, im not sure?

Riced_Civic
03-11-2007, 07:52 AM
your running rich and the unburnt fuel is goin thru the exhaust common on turbo cars. its alright to have it with the little POP POP POP sounds its just on a safe tune so u dont run to lean. but once u hear the loud bangs then theres a problem

SeverAMV
03-11-2007, 08:31 AM
yup, running rich. could tweak the unichip to run a little leaner if you want to squeeze it for every extra kw, but its not too bad so long as its a backfire and not detonation.

GIPONU
03-11-2007, 12:30 PM
ok velly nice...
so by re-tuning the ecu i could get abit more power?
does that = more petrol?lol

Limbo
03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
No you will be running leaner, so should mean less petrol on same driving conditions ;)

SeverAMV
03-11-2007, 04:20 PM
well if you go by the basics, since your engine is running rich, more air = more combustion = more power = less power required to cruise at normal speeds = less throttle useage = less fuel, or something like that.

EuroDude
04-11-2007, 10:33 PM
My EG used to do the same lol.

Try cleaning the Throttle Body and clean/replace the Air Filter to improve the air flow into the engine.

xntrik
04-11-2007, 10:40 PM
your running rich and the unburnt fuel is goin thru the exhaust common on turbo cars. its alright to have it with the little POP POP POP sounds its just on a safe tune so u dont run to lean. but once u hear the loud bangs then theres a problem

GIPONU's car is turbo'd? D:

Riced_Civic
05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
no im not saying its turbo'd im just saying its common on any turbo car. my car is N/A and i get it in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears when goin down thru the gears

blahZ
05-11-2007, 10:46 AM
yup, running rich. could tweak the unichip to run a little leaner if you want to squeeze it for every extra kw, but its not too bad so long as its a backfire and not detonation.

^^^^^ his right
this use to happen to my eg aswell

turbo convert
05-11-2007, 11:33 AM
yeh its not really a bad thing as stated before you are on a safe tune which therefore runs rich, howeevr you will foul plugs out quicker this way but its not as dangerous as running rich, if i was you though i would proberly get it tuned again as stated before might be more power in it, just hope you have a good tuner.
lean it out too much and Kablame!!

GIPONU
05-11-2007, 09:44 PM
k then, i just need to re-tune it..lols.
yeh i have a good tuner
and no my car is not turbo'd, though i wish it was..
gonna get autotech engineering to tune it.. when i have money..olols

mrwillz
05-11-2007, 11:03 PM
wot if like haf it once in a while
eg. while hi rev back of
it mite pop once or twice
not 'losta backfires' 'burples'?
all good in the hood yea its stock btw

GIPONU
06-11-2007, 11:47 PM
wot if like haf it once in a while
eg. while hi rev back of
it mite pop once or twice
not 'losta backfires' 'burples'?
all good in the hood yea its stock btw

iim thinkin either u have a leak in ur exhaust.
or maybs ur ecu.
or mayb.. air filter..
or ur using octane booster..lols
or sparkplugs..lols
jst my guesses..

and got a quote~..
costs $440 to get my ecu re-tuned..
duhhhhhhh cbf! lol

turbo convert
07-11-2007, 09:44 AM
iim thinkin either u have a leak in ur exhaust.
or maybs ur ecu.
or mayb.. air filter..
or ur using octane booster..lols
or sparkplugs..lols
jst my guesses..

and got a quote~..
costs $440 to get my ecu re-tuned..
duhhhhhhh cbf! lol

$440 wow thats expensive, all depends how much it annoys you i suppose!

EuroDude
07-11-2007, 08:02 PM
erm cant u simply disconnect the battery to 'retune' the ECU? It will re-learn by itself..

blahZ
08-11-2007, 09:27 AM
nope!! dont think it works like that

dsp26
08-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Backfire/Pop is semi normal but dangerous.

It is caused by rich mixtures but the reason it "pop's" upon releasing throttle is coz your A/F suddenly goes lean and ignites the rich unburnt mixture in your exhaust pipes.

If it happens often you really should upgrade to a metal CAT if you don't already have one, otherwise you won't have much of a cat later when the ceramic shatters/melts and you get EPA'd for a 'catless' car....

blahZ
08-11-2007, 10:01 AM
can you put a spark plug in there ?
would flame shoot out?

dsp26
08-11-2007, 10:55 AM
can you put a spark plug in there ?
would flame shoot out?

funny thats exactly how flamethrower kits work and how they did it in Fast & Furious... however, they also plummed in a gas pipe at the muffler tip to give the bunsen burner effect

turbo convert
08-11-2007, 11:19 AM
erm cant u simply disconnect the battery to 'retune' the ECU? It will re-learn by itself..

AFTER MARKET ecu.................................no chance!

dsp26
08-11-2007, 11:38 AM
AFTER MARKET ecu.................................no chance!

Yeah it won't do anything but don't most if not all aftermarket ECU's have non-volatile memory (excl. piggy backs) so if the power is disconnected it retains the settings?

turbo convert
08-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah it won't do anything but don't most if not all aftermarket ECU's have non-volatile memory (excl. piggy backs) so if the power is disconnected it retains the settings?

correct you wont loose the settings if if the battery is d/c, same as piggy packs, i had s-afc the holds its tune and also so does the wolf3d stand alone ecu.