PDA

View Full Version : changing rear engine mount??

DNYALL
03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
My dad and me had a go at replacing the engine mount that is mounted at the back of the engine. We got all the bolts out but then couldn't find a way of actually taking it out of its place. Like if u move it back it hits the firewall and if u lift it it hits the heater hoses n other things.

Has anyone done this befor and if so wat is needed to be done? Do u need to take the engine out or something??????

We just ended up bolting it back in place so it is fine for now.

Please help,
-Mike

bennjamin
03-11-2007, 07:52 PM
its abit easier to disconnect the 2 x front lower torque mounts (off the gearbox , and off the AC pulley) and this will give your engine alittle more leverage to get the rear mount out.
Its not fun tho.

ECU-MAN
04-11-2007, 10:39 AM
loosen the rear mount from the trans and block, this gives you more room to move the mount around

fatboyz39
04-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Worst job ever....

Remove the rear engine mount bracker completely.

Disconnect torque mounts, header bolts(the one underneath the car), maybe shiftlinakge.

DC2/EG are ok. EK are worst due to the subframe.

honda_ek4
04-11-2007, 06:06 PM
what could happen if you leave the rear engine mount blown?

zco
04-11-2007, 06:41 PM
puts more pressure onto the other remainign mounts and increases their wear and tear. for those with EK's, get a EG/DC subframe lol

SLOWEGG
04-11-2007, 07:09 PM
what could happen if you leave the rear engine mount blown?

your engine will blow up.

DNYALL
05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
hmm well i think i might just leave the stock one in for now then. It isn't broken or anything, i just bought a set of Hasport so i wanted to put in the set, not do a half job and only do the sides. But yeah sounds like all too much work atm.......

beeza
05-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks to Jason Gilholme for this:
basic process for rear mount removal is:

Jack engine up (put a piece of wood between the jack and engine)
Undo the three bolts holding the bracket to the engine
undo the bolt holding the bracket to the engine mount.
undo the three engine mount bolts and remove engine mount.
reverse order for installation.

Hardest part will be getting to the three bolts holding the mount on. Especially when the engine is in there. You might also have trouble with the front bolt on the engine mount. I had to get a longer bolt for my hasport mounts because the mount is much thicker then the oem one. The OEM bolt only went in about 1 turn.

BlitZ
05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
from memeory the trick is to rotate it out.. remove all torque mounts makes it easier.. its a bitch to do..

vinnY
05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
had a look at doing it myself too, any suggestions, for anyone who might be interested, on the easiest way to remove the bolts that hold the mount to the sub-frame? really really long extension and go down behind the intake manifold?

http://www.hazone.com/hmtrmount.htm
might be a little help, not very complete though

DNYALL
05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
yeah we got the mount lose, just couldn't actually get it out of the bay. but yeah we used like three extensions plus one of those wierd flexy join extender bits. But we didn't take the bracket off the engine, just the three bolts for the mount.

ECU-MAN
06-11-2007, 03:19 PM
yes, just 3 from what I can remember

1 from the top
2 from the rear of the engine