PDA

View Full Version : Suggested new forum: ECU Tuning

Dxs
04-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Putting forth a suggestion for a new forum category which will hopefully add a new level of sophistication to ozhonda and more technical discussion.

I am proposing the addition of an 'ECU Tuning' category.

Where discussion on ECUs, Engine management systems (piggy backs, socketed stock ecus, full replacements etc) Can be discussed. As well as fuel control and ignition control.

I feel that specific categories orientation focus and depth on particular discussion and therefore promote and evolve the community and information within it.

I know there are a number of talented tuners on the forum, ie. toda, proecu, andy etc etc, as well as number of backyard/ghetto people that could contribute.

Anyway, that is just a suggestion. (also get a worklogs forum already)

yourfather
04-11-2007, 08:25 PM
no way.

bennjamin
04-11-2007, 08:29 PM
One thread in recent memory doesnt allow for an entire new forum :)
Besides , it would be owned verbally by the monopoly that is hondata - what point is bias ? If you want that go to hondatech.com.au

Dxs
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
weaklings scared of change!

bennjamin
04-11-2007, 08:42 PM
weaklings ? scared of change ?

FYI all the leading "ecu people" hate each other.

So where does that leave a forum for these guys ?

aaronng
04-11-2007, 08:44 PM
weaklings scared of change!

I don't think calling people names would be the best way to persuade people to start the section that you suggested...

mr crex
04-11-2007, 08:46 PM
lol ECU Tuning forum would be like a 2nd trash can forum... becuase 99% of the threads would end up in childish bickering and eventually locked.

destrukshn
04-11-2007, 08:48 PM
it would be good, if everyone got along.
but it won't, unfortunatly, i would like to see it happen.
plus, its just not the tuners that will argue, it will also be they're supporters/customers bitchin about other tuners, or glorifying a certain tuner.

grumpy rooster
04-11-2007, 09:14 PM
It would be a waste of time.

The moderator in that section would have a full time job. :)

Dxs
04-11-2007, 09:17 PM
weaklings ? scared of change ?

FYI all the leading "ecu people" hate each other.

So where does that leave a forum for these guys ?
yes and yes

you can look at it two ways.

1) What do we have now.. and how will that be replicated into what we create (hence if you think it is bad atm, then this change will accentuate the problem)

2) If we create something, it will encourage new contributions and new interest in that area. And from that foundation people's knowledge shall increase in and time a larger knowledge base will grow. IE If everyone just has a small snippet of tuning knowledge that comes to surface from this move, then the accumulated knowledge is worthy.

If you ask me, if you avoid such specifics, it is like pretending they dont exist in the community. Therefore people ignore it and dont evolve.

It is like saying when ozhonda started in 03 or whatever, to not have a technical section because everyone were noobs and didnt know shit about hondas. And to just have a lounge, intro and gallery forums so the tech section wouldnt be posted with shit.

If you look back at the posts in 03.. a lot of big boys people respect now, were quite noobs.

I will leave it at that.

bennjamin
04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
If you care above your own opinion , make a poll for it.

The idea behind "tuning" is a business. There isnt anyone out there anymore purely into the technical side and to help out everyone , they are in it for the money plain and simple.WHY would they give away too much info ( if any) on how their systems work ?
The only "big boys" now (from 03 or whenever) offer free advice and help out which way they can. The actual "tuners" seem to offer little in the way of advice and only are here to have a public face for gaining clients. I can only think of weq adding anything significant to the DIY tuning level.

Dxs
04-11-2007, 09:51 PM
i agree totally with your point on the tuning business aspect..
keep them dumb to control them

But i think there would be a number of ghetto backyard tuners around.
Even people have enough knowledge on various topics such as ecu recommendations, ie hondata-vs-powerfc-vs-emanage

or the process of chipping certain ecu's

i know of a good few people who are getting into diy ecu mods etc who frequent this forum, but most people wouldnt know it. Would be a nice discussion hub.

But i know it will be a nightmare to begin with.
in the end i am not all the fussed.. just thought i would optimistically give express my thoughts

bennjamin
04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
make a poll and find out.

ACTI0NMAN-1
04-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I think it would be a waste of space. There are very few of us that actually know how ECU tuning with aftermarket products work. Also there are quite a large ammount of people who provide misinformation about products who dont even run aftermarket ROM products or ecus.
Being a Uberdata and Crome user myself i've seen many BS posts.
I'd prefer that we just continue with answering forum questions on a 1 by 1 basis or refer users to tuning forums like PGMFI.

Dxs
04-11-2007, 10:21 PM
actionman
i would say that your point is also true for most of the other forum sections on ozhonda

how many people know anything about suspension..
everyone knows what a spring rate is and knows how to read them on some jap brand site.. and they have felt the stiffness in other peoples cars... so now they think they can recommend some shit to who ever asks.

but yeah.. **** it :p

ProECU
15-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I think it's a FANTASTIC idea.

It will educate the people & remove the monololy that certain moderatos have in modifying ECU's for profit.

ProECU
15-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I'll even write and release free software to help those wanting to chip and modify the stock ECU program if this gets off the ground

Stoosh
17-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Everybody wants to make a new forum for every subject with 5 threads about.

It fits into one of the pre-existing categories, so just leave it

wynode
18-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Dan,

I'm all up for it.........but we've had bickering between the major tuners in the forum in the past (and that's without a dedicated ecu/tuning forum). Why can't we use the existing technical forum?

Creating a new forum for ECUs/Tuning isn't going to promote that aspect.....we tend to assign a sub-forum if there are enough threads/posts to justify it.......not the other way around.

Like the Euro sub-forum.......that was created because there were so many posts in the Accord forum that people had to browse through pages and pages of Euro threads before they could find a non-Euro thread. Ie we didn't setup the Euro forum to get more people making threads about the Euro and to encourage people to talk about the Euro.

Dxs
18-11-2007, 12:50 PM
i understand your point
post #10 expresses my view on the chicken or the egg style argument.

I do understand that initially it would be difficult.. and bla bla bla

But yeah, just expressed an idea on a whim. Maybe a subforum? And i find proecu's comments interesting

wynode
18-11-2007, 04:19 PM
My only issue is that we're trying to encourage interest in that area by creating a forum for it.

It should be the other way around....when there is overwhelming interest/discussion on a certain topic area.....then that area deserves its own sub-forum/section.

Can you link me to a whole bunch of threads that should be in this ECU/Tuning subforum.....just to see what potential there i?

bennjamin
18-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Correction , link us all a bunch of threads with non-bias tuning help/ideas/theory etc :)
As been discussed the big boys wont tell much unless there is a monetary gain for them , which leads to arguments and issues.
We need all the smaller DIY guys in here come on say some thoughts !

grumpy rooster
18-11-2007, 05:07 PM
If it will quash the brainwashing that Hondata is the only ECU to use on a Honda then I'm all for it.