PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Wires - what products

SINISTR
05-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Looking for advice and products to nicely and safely wrap the engine bay wires.

Obviously there are the usual products like electrical tape which doesn't last a long time when exposed to heat, also the black plastic tubing you buy in rolls which is used to dress up engine bays - which melts when it touches something hot.

I've been told to use self amalgamating tape as well.

Also i've seen this wrap stuff which looks like mesh and is used on some 4x4s around the turbo etc (its black) and its not the thermo stuff you wrap exhausts in...

any other ideas? pics etc?

thanks

SINISTR
05-11-2007, 05:24 PM
ah yeah, i know the stuff... my old 76 mk1
golf had that stuff all over the place. Its old skool... :P don't know if my gen1 is that old to deserve that hahaha!

thanks... i'll check it out!

string
07-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I use a decent electrical tape, shrink wrap the ends where possible but try to avoid hot spots. I think a heat proof wrapping is just a band-aid solution to the problem - I'd rather avoid it all together personally. Other than that I have nothing to add :D

bennjamin
07-11-2007, 12:10 PM
shrink wrap here. Works wonders , make a firm wid with the connecting end wires or solder and then shrink wrap - make sure not to touch the bare wire ends or get any moisture in tho :) My engine bay is thoroughly tucked and all with heatshrink - mind you all wires are relocated into guards so no chance of excess heat

EG30
09-11-2007, 09:33 PM
cloth tape avail from Wurth as well, still used in late model Merc and BMWs as factory loom wrap material.

Limbo
09-11-2007, 10:18 PM
i used the plastic tubing and then tuffed it up with electrical tape.