PDA

View Full Version : Hard wire TOMTOM GPS

pilotb777_300
05-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Guys,

I have a tom tom GPS the XL one with the largish screen sitting in CD compartment... Currently I plug it into the ciggy lighter to get power but I was wondering if anyone would know how hard it would be to hard wire it into the cars electrical system from the back of the CD compartment so that theres no wires or adaptors showing... make it look more proffesional neater...its no big deal havin the adaptor there but if its an easy job, I wouldnt mind trying to hard wire it into the car...
any ideas ?

Thanks

sameol3
06-11-2007, 02:48 PM
it is possible...but abit of a hassle to remove all the middle compartments to get to it...u can always wire it up directly to the power source for the ciggie lighter but u might wanna connect an external fuse also... shouldnt be to hard...other option is run a 4 gauge wire from the battery with and external fuse given the power input on ur GPS is the same as the battery output, this option is similar to a how u would wire a AMP power source in ur car...

tron07
07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
it is possible...but abit of a hassle to remove all the middle compartments to get to it...u can always wire it up directly to the power source for the ciggie lighter but u might wanna connect an external fuse also... shouldnt be to hard...other option is run a 4 gauge wire from the battery with and external fuse given the power input on ur GPS is the same as the battery output, this option is similar to a how u would wire a AMP power source in ur car...

Tap the power at the ciggie is the easiest and best solution...

if you run a 4gauge wire from the battery with fues and you forgot to switch the GPS off, you will not be able to start the car anymore. And also the power from the battery is not regulated, meaning you will be getting voltage up to 13.8v or 14v when you high rev your car, and that will probably blow your GPS. To get around that, you will need to wire some resistor to the cable, and that would just be too troublesome....

+ rep points? :p

cutchorama
07-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I have hardwired my TOMTOM, cost me $50 to do it. They just got a male to female cigerette liter under the dash and up next to the A pillar, looks neat. I'll post pics tonight.

Do it this way and its just like the normal liter and will cut off power when your car is off and hence won't drain your battery.

aaronng
07-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Tap it from the cigarette lighter. It's easy to do. I did that with the airrunners and that's how my EDFC is being powered as well.

tRipitaka
07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
just do it..
if you fk it up..
just buy a generic motorola v3 charger.. ;)

pilotb777_300
07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
thanks guys ! I was thinkin of tappin off the cigerette lighter and that seems to be the general idea amongst everyone. Question now is should I do it myself or get someone to do it for me ! I dont really know much about electronics and I'm booked in to get a dension gateway 100 installed in my car by the carkitcompany so I'm wondering if they might just be able to do the GPS as well for a few extra dollars.

cutchorama
07-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Don't **** up your car, pay someone else to do it for you.

aaronng
07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
thanks guys ! I was thinkin of tappin off the cigerette lighter and that seems to be the general idea amongst everyone. Question now is should I do it myself or get someone to do it for me ! I dont really know much about electronics and I'm booked in to get a dension gateway 100 installed in my car by the carkitcompany so I'm wondering if they might just be able to do the GPS as well for a few extra dollars.
Get them to do it for you since you don't have any electronics knowledge. You will also get peace of mind. :thumbsup:

tron07
08-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Ciggy lighter power, got 2 wire.... positive and negative....

Your GPS got 2 wires too... positive and negative, tap the wires, and if you inverted them, it just dont work..... no harm done. But if you are still unsure, pay someone to do it, like most forumer mention, peace of mind.

Disclaimer: Not my fault if you blow something up..... :p

pilotb777_300
08-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Hmmmm I'm really confused now ! I dont know where to wire my GPS to. I've got it sitting nice and snug under my head unit in that CD compartment and it fits great. But where the hell am I gonna mount my ipod now with the ice link... I know this is slightly off topic, but any ideas ?

maybe I should wire my GPS to the A pillar and have it sitting up there on the windscreen. But it looks soo neat in the CD compartment. or maybe have the ipod cradle next to the A pillar ?

tron07
08-11-2007, 01:10 PM
I wouldnt want anything outside which is visible and attract thiefs.

cutchorama
08-11-2007, 01:11 PM
You can buy one of those Ipod brace things which make the ipod sit next to your head unit. They require no screws and fit under the panel next to your left leg. They are pretty expensive though I think (over $150 if i remember correctly).

I have forgotten where they are from, do a search through the million ipod in Euro threads already started.