PDA

View Full Version : upgrade CXI or buy new car??

AutoNoob
06-11-2007, 12:34 AM
my cxi currently has: some catback sport exhaust, white rim, some sounds systems

45000kms, sell price maybe $12,000.

a good engine transplant, brakes, suspension, etc will be $15,000 installed by professional company? for k20?? whats the reliability like with engine transplants - k20 for instance.

----------

or buy one of the following brand new/almost new cars

XR4 ford $25k
colt rallyart $30k
polo gti $28k

----------

im finishing off engineering at uni this year, expecting a job and gonna blow alot of money on car. So im tossing between k20 and a brand new car!! This is not 100% fantasy, just planning ahead.

steve88
06-11-2007, 08:10 AM
imo its not worth $15k + whatever you paid for the car for a k20 transplant. go for the new CTR or if you wanna see clear from honda, another hot hatch. you got a great condition EK! mines pushing 180,000km haha. imo get a accord euro! nice cars

riruiz_88
06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
hey man, i reckon you should go the K swap. just do alot of research of what needs to be done, because there are so many things that you will have not taken into consideration. here is a site dedicated to K swaps although its in the US it will provide you with massive info on the swap...
http://www.k20a.org

also do some search on here in the appearance/gallery thread. and 15g's might sound like alot of money, but it aint all that much when your doing a K swap should save 5g's more. i too am planning to do a K swap in mine, but this will be after i have payed off the car. imo go for it dude

Q_ball
06-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Polo Gti

AutoNoob
06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
$20k for a K swap? lol, massive!!!
how does a swapped engine job k20 fare against a Civic Type R07??

i dont know anything about 'internals' of cars tho, whats best way to get hands on? e.g. buy a 100 buck car and try rebuilding it?? lol

Q_ball
06-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Unless you love your car to bits and plan on keeping it fro a long time, its not worth spending so much on modding a car.
K20 or not, its still gonna be a Civic.

Selling up and upgrading your car to a newer one would be the smarter and financially better option.

riruiz_88
06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
$20k for a K swap? lol, massive!!!
how does a swapped engine job k20 fare against a Civic Type R07??

i dont know anything about 'internals' of cars tho, whats best way to get hands on? e.g. buy a 100 buck car and try rebuilding it?? lol

lol my bad i was refering to do a total job like stripping the whole car and painting and modifying the engine. then 15g's would be good a good budget for you. I reckon a EK would come up if not very close to the FN2 or beating it.

riruiz_88
06-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Unless you love your car to bits and plan on keeping it fro a long time, its not worth spending so much on modding a car.

Selling up and upgrading your car to a newer one would be the smarter and financially better option.

people do it for the enjoyment that they have completed an engine swap, and then thinking "yeh i did this". i know that modifying is not gonna increase the value of a car, but its the time and effort that makes people to keep on modifying :D

blahZ
06-11-2007, 09:31 AM
upgrade is the best way to go

Q_ball
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
No need to explain that to me, i know thats why ppl mod their car.
Like i said before, only do it if you really like your car and plan on keeping it.
If you dont, then trade up for something else.

Zilli
06-11-2007, 09:44 AM
i'd be inclined to trade up... you got some pretty nice machinery in your list

the Polo, while it looks a bit poonsy, has the same running gear as the outoing Golf GTI, 1,8l turbo, same as the Audi TT outgoing too... plenty of upgrades, you could have a real ball tearer for a fraction of the money you are spending on the EK

philBo
06-11-2007, 11:20 AM

damn straight...civics suck.

buy yourself an xr6 turbo for cheap...love them cars. look real tough.

xtercii
06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Don't ever listen to thes ppl, they are boring don't have a true passion for modifying cars. Listen to your heart, do what you wanna do while you are young and can afford to be wild and silly.

philBo
06-11-2007, 12:22 PM
Don't ever listen to thes ppl, they are boring don't have a true passion for modifying cars. Listen to your heart, do what you wanna do while you are young and can afford to be wild and silly.

dont listen to this guy either.

there are people who are passionate about it, but there are also people who are realistic about things. sure itd be worthwhile...but 15k can go a long way these days. a loooong way...

blahZ
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
in other words think smart

xtercii
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
See even this guys who's disagreeing with me says it's worthwhile to do the k20a conversion, what are you waiting for buddy?

What's money when it's making you happy, fulfilling your dreams and achieving your goals? Let the money becoming your slave not the opposite.

koitsuu
06-11-2007, 02:20 PM
get a polo gti or save up and get yourself something nice. Personally I think spending 15k on moding a car is too much and no matter how much you mod the civic in the end is still a civic, unless you're into the moding scene then is a different story

philBo
06-11-2007, 02:34 PM
in other words think smart

:thumbsup: exactly right...cars become less of a priority after a while, and id almost say going out and blowing 15k on car mods is a bit too reckless. thatd go nicely towards a house bro. thats just my personal opinion.

if you think its what you want, then go for gold.

Limbo
06-11-2007, 02:56 PM
yeah $27k is quite abit of cash, in the end you only loose out.
I've gone down the conversion path before, its alot of headaches.

From experience i would buy a newer car with what you want on it. Otherwise your spending money you'll almost never get back.
But if that's your passion you've gotta weigh it out for yourself, its your life.