PDA

View Full Version : Rear springs making noise

rahul
06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi All,

I'm using eibach sportline/koni yellows on CD5.

the rears were making a cluncky noise when i went over bumps or dips in the road. so the springs were raised up with using the koni's highest perch. even then they make noise and i lost 25 mm suspension travel.

i'm not 100% sure if its related to the captive issue of the springs or if its related to the coils touching. i'm thinking of moving the springs back to the middle perch of the koni's to give me more suspension travel

any CD5 owners running the same combo/suspension experts... looking forward to your comments.

thanks
Rahul

SiReal
06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Rahul,

See this - I had the same problem, still don't know what it is but i've listed a brief summary for you

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69929

- make sure endlinks for sways are nice and tight, thats the most classic reason why you would get clunk/twang ish sounds
- make sure strut top mounts are bolted tight onto the chassis, in fact, make sure all bolts are tight
- the springs could be clapping - dead coils tend to clap against each other, hence needed spring wrap (so metal against metal hitting does not occur)

If your spring does not move freely when its fully extended (i.e. jack the car up and see if spring moves freely on the strut assembly), then it shouldnt be an issue with the springs captivity.

Good luck. its a bitch -

otherwise, turn up that knob on your hifi system haaha, works for me

rahul
06-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Rahul,

See this - I had the same problem, still don't know what it is but i've listed a brief summary for you

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69929

- make sure endlinks for sways are nice and tight, thats the most classic reason why you would get clunk/twang ish sounds
- make sure strut top mounts are bolted tight onto the chassis, in fact, make sure all bolts are tight
- the springs could be clapping - dead coils tend to clap against each other, hence needed spring wrap (so metal against metal hitting does not occur)

If your spring does not move freely when its fully extended (i.e. jack the car up and see if spring moves freely on the strut assembly), then it shouldnt be an issue with the springs captivity.

Good luck. its a bitch -

otherwise, turn up that knob on your hifi system haaha, works for me

hmm...unfortunately similiar issue to you.

funny you say you had H&R... i was thinking of moving to them even though my stuff is only 2 wks old. i guess spring noise is unavoidable in some cases :(

when the car is raised up, there is no free play in the springs. they sit fairly snug between the top and bottom and top shock perches.
even after i raised the spring onto the top perch, they're even snug when lifted up but there is still the noise over bumps, which is leading me to belive it may not be a spring captive issue. i might put it back on the middle perch and use coil wrap.

i can live with the noise but initially it wasnt very confidence inspiring hearing those noises in the middle of a corner, thought the rear of my car will be sitting on ground.

ps... does anyone know where i can get spring wrap. i rang around and no one seems to carry them.

are they different kinds/brands of springs wraps and which are the good ones.

thanks again.

SiReal
06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
spring wrap, just go to any suspension place. theyre arent really any 'brands' so to speak. its just like insulation. u could probably even use tape.

rahul
07-11-2007, 03:28 PM
thanks for your help siReal... Also been speaking to Ben, he suggested couple of layers of heat shrink...might try that out.

rahul
11-11-2007, 04:35 PM
my next question is sorta related to my origina post, the koni yellows i'm using have 3 perches on the rears

bottom perch is 15 mm below the middle one and the top perch is 25 mm above the middle one.

i was talking to someone from koni aus regarding my rear spring noise, he sorta suggested that koni can make extra groves on the shock but was unsure it this will weaken the shock body.

it got me thinking if the bottom perch is 15 mm of the middle one, it could be perfectly safe if there is an extra groove 12 mm above the middle perch and that in turn will be 12 mm off the highest perch and all the grooves will be more or less equidistant.

i heard the neuspeed koni has 5 perches and i'm pretty sure it is the same shock body abit different valving. what do you guys think?

i'm asking cos after raising my car from middle to top perch, to me it sits a bit high on the rear and if i have it back on the middle perch, there is lota spring noise.

something i might consider in the near future if having the extra groove is safe

thanks
Rahul

bennjamin
11-11-2007, 08:41 PM
it is safe , as long as its done with a proper disc and accurate depth ( IE not too far lol)
You can take it to a grand-pa machinist and get the grooves done for like $10 a pop. Ask sydteg21 as he did it awhile back