PDA

View Full Version : Which coilovers to go for?

tangyoonee
07-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I bought a DC5 n I'm very desperate to get a set of coilovers.
I was gonna get buddyclub N+ today but I think I should to some more research.

which out of those below do u recomend?
tein superstreets, Flex or Greddy, Trust type S, buddy club N+ or others?

iced
07-11-2007, 09:29 AM
N+ sounds good

Superstreet do not have adjustable lower perch.
Lowering the ride height will reduce suspension travel.

e240
07-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Toda Fightex - At least you know its made in Japan.. :-D

iced
07-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Fightex is the best of the best.
Not the best for the bank account though.

tangyoonee
07-11-2007, 09:49 AM
How much is Fightex?
N where can I get them?

e240
07-11-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah, but in the long run, Good Suspensions pay themselves off.

e240
07-11-2007, 10:22 AM
How much is Fightex?
N where can I get them?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57719

string
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Custom valved konis with your favourite flavour springs will do wonders. Costs you in brain-power however.

Riced_Civic
07-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Buddy club RS or N+ for sure

aaronng
07-11-2007, 08:42 PM
If you are on a tight budget, N+. If you have money, Fightex. Don't waste your time on superstreet (too soft for most)

CTR Coupe
08-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Toda Fightex - At least you know its made in Japan.. :-D

pffftttt fightex

no budget = penske
4k a corner.
http://www.nttyres.com.au/penske/penske.html

go for a higher end Japaneses brand.
Cusco
Fightex
Tein

Buddyclub

I would avoid the cheep and nasties
like the D2's and clones.

these may seem bang for buck but you would be better off with going with a lower spec Tein/Cusco/BC model rather than these. They will cost you more in the long run.

Remember that like Tires, wheels and brakes your suspention is a safety feature and catastrophic failure could result from you being seriously inured or even killed. Its not an item i would be scrimping on.

If your on a budget i would be looking at going with Koni Yellow + springs option rather than going down the "cheep" coilover route. It may end up costing you more than you think.....

BlitZ
08-11-2007, 09:51 AM
no one meantioned zeal.;)

markCivicVti
08-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Are G4 considered decent quality?

e240
08-11-2007, 11:12 AM
pffftttt fightex

no budget = penske
4k a corner.
http://www.nttyres.com.au/penske/penske.html

Penske - Yum ...Low/high speed damping etc...

The other I'd go for is Ohlins...The Ohlins I had on my bike were like 3K+ for one side alone..

honda_ek4
08-11-2007, 01:08 PM

What makes the Fightex the best?

(not having a go at you, just wondering what makes a set of coilovers the best..haha)

Would the Fightex coilovers offer all the charactistics of coilvers with the added bonus of a comfortable ride (as good as stock)?

If not, are there such a coilover that is?

Just curious.

I'd have to say though, my IDEAL set of coilovers would allow me to lower my car, improve handling over standard suspension, AND offer stock comfort (or as close to if possible), i.e. having the car drive over bumps and absorbing it all (like stick) round a corner and not skipping across the road (but then i guess that also depends on the spring rates)

CTR Coupe
08-11-2007, 09:26 PM
no one meantioned zeal.;)

How could i forget another quality brand coilover.

What makes the Fightex the best?

(not having a go at you, just wondering what makes a set of coilovers the best..haha)

Would the Fightex coilovers offer all the charactistics of coilvers with the added bonus of a comfortable ride (as good as stock)?

If not, are there such a coilover that is?

Just curious.

I'd have to say though, my IDEAL set of coilovers would allow me to lower my car, improve handling over standard suspension, AND offer stock comfort (or as close to if possible), i.e. having the car drive over bumps and absorbing it all (like stick) round a corner and not skipping across the road (but then i guess that also depends on the spring rates)

No coil over is going to give you a comfortable ride similar to stock. Coil overs are not designed to absorb bumps you find on normal roads they are designed to absorb load during cornering on surfaces that are smooth.

The scale would work sorta like this

Comfort_______________________X___________Handling Performance

basically depending on your selection of spring rates and valving is where the coil over would appear on this scale.
That being said bad coil overs will be bad coil overs.

If you are looking for comfort I've heard that Tein SS are the ones to go for but people always complain that they are too soft for racing.

Dxs
09-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I have found the buddy clubs to be quite stiff..

they have a low amount of stroke too.. so that could influence people into a 'racy feel'

stk-civic
09-11-2007, 12:38 PM
As ctr coupe was saying that Tein SS are too soft for racing, however it will give u a good stiffness for everyday road holding. You dont sound like the type that is going on track anyways.
Having said that, on Softest settings it kinda feels close to stock suspension anyway, just lowered!

honda_ek4
10-11-2007, 11:03 AM
As ctr coupe was saying that Tein SS are too soft for racing, however it will give u a good stiffness for everyday road holding. You dont sound like the type that is going on track anyways.
Having said that, on Softest settings it kinda feels close to stock suspension anyway, just lowered!

Just trying to find a way to lower the car slightly without compromising comfort and handling too much.

stk-civic
10-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Just trying to find a way to lower the car slightly without compromising comfort and handling too much.

but a 1 or 2 cm lower then it is atm shouldn't make that much of a difference should it?
im running 14" and the wheel arches are just sitting 1 cm ontop

StrawberryFace
10-11-2007, 04:39 PM
People forgot:

- H&R
- Eibach
- Koni
- KW

[RSX 03]
14-11-2007, 03:14 PM
N+ for DC5 for sure.

SS, Heard to many people bitch about how soft these are on the track, But it's ok for daily i supose.

siksivic
21-11-2007, 02:18 PM
i have a dc5r and am running the buddyclub racing spec dampeners , they are great , Very stiff, i would reccomend them to you if you are doin track work, not the best for everyday driving...

DUST
21-11-2007, 02:54 PM
No one mentioned APEXI N1+ Dampers ExV???

Im using EG ones for my DC2, Front is 12 and Rear is 5. On full stiffness mode it feels like a track car. It feels awesome :thumbsup:

Type S Tony
26-11-2007, 03:25 PM
With the addition of Coil overs on a DC5S integra could I fit 18" rims under the Guards without any hassle? The only reason I want to go down the Coil Over path is because its a quality vehicle and if I want to lower it I want to do it Right!

aaronng
26-11-2007, 03:41 PM
With the addition of Coil overs on a DC5S integra could I fit 18" rims under the Guards without any hassle? The only reason I want to go down the Coil Over path is because its a quality vehicle and if I want to lower it I want to do it Right!

It's not the size of the rims, but the size and width of the tyres, in addition to the rim offset.

Type S Tony
26-11-2007, 04:26 PM
It's not the size of the rims, but the size and width of the tyres, in addition to the rim offset.

So what offset should I be Aiming for if you dont mind me asking,

aaronng
26-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Measure how much clearance you have from the inside of your tyre to the strut. That's how much you have with +45 with your current tyre width. If you increase the width of your tyre, you reduce the clearance by half the total tyre width increase. If you go for higher offset like +50, you lose 5mm clearance on the inside compared to +45..

V8KLLR
29-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Reviving an old thread. Im looking into purchasing Blitz Damper ZZ-R coilovers for my dc5r or BC Racing RM Inverted MA Series. Are they both any good?

chargeR
01-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Nope.

V8KLLR
02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
So what would you recommend?

chargeR
03-04-2011, 01:35 PM
The only DC5 coilovers that I have installed and driven hard enough to vouch for are Mugen N1. Probably not what you are looking for though.

If you want something decent entry level then I would look at Tein SS, they aren't the greatest setup for handling but they are well made, have reasonable spring rates and will maintain decent ride comfort. They won't go too low though and ride comfort will suffer if you try though.