PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bar for FD Civic

bahloo
07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Has anyone out there fitted a tow bar to their Civic? Did you get the Honda tow bar or did you buy one from someone else. I'm planning to get one but I'm not too sure whether to get the Honda original or an aftermarket one.

Thanks in advance.

hormone
08-11-2007, 06:49 AM
i got it quoted by Honda (John Blair) at $500 installed and Hayman Reece would sell me theirs for $350 and then pay to get installed.
I wanted a tow bar but its a lot of cash unless you tow a lot.?

JaCe
08-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I can't help but wonder how good (or bad) the FD1 would be at towing considering how weak it is in the low-range torque department.

bahloo
08-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I can't help but wonder how good (or bad) the FD1 would be at towing considering how weak it is in the low-range torque department.

I doubt it would be very good as the rated load given on the Honda website is between 450 and 1200 kg depending on the trailer. It is only a 1.8L after all so I'm not expecting too much. Should be ok for the occasional tow.

xenfacta
14-11-2007, 02:17 PM
what are you looking to tow?

dmx
14-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I doubt it would be very good as the rated load given on the Honda website is between 450 and 1200 kg depending on the trailer. It is only a 1.8L after all so I'm not expecting too much. Should be ok for the occasional tow.

think ok, i seen one civic FD1 with tow bar, but now towing anything, may be same like u, just in case.;)

panda[cRx]
15-11-2007, 06:50 AM
if you are going to get a towbar for any of the current range, get a genuine one. they can be more expensive but they fit and look alot better, and generally have less problems down the track

bahloo
15-11-2007, 02:45 PM
think ok, i seen one civic FD1 with tow bar, but now towing anything, may be same like u, just in case.;)

I'm not sure what I'm going to be towing yet so ya, it is a just in case. I've asked both Honda and Hayman Reese. The prices for both (towbar only) are about the same. The Honda one is actually a few dollars cheaper.

Jord
16-11-2007, 10:40 AM
$500 is a lot of money for just in case... normally there will be places that will custom fit one to the car im from tasmania and i know of a few places down here they measure it all and it looks almost OEM at half the price. IMO i think you should shop around...

dmx
16-11-2007, 04:41 PM
$500 is a lot of money for just in case... normally there will be places that will custom fit one to the car im from tasmania and i know of a few places down here they measure it all and it looks almost OEM at half the price. IMO i think you should shop around...

u sure only $500? that cheap i say. Got info, not quote, would be around $1000 coz they have weld to chassis and also have to connect to brake/blinker light+other electrical thing.
long time ago, we bought land cruiser 100, and toyota gave us bonus tow bar worth $1000, they claimed:confused:

JaCe
18-11-2007, 12:54 AM
I feel that this is one of those things which you shouldn't cheap out on... not that I know much about towing but I'm inclined to think that a properly designed (and Honda-guaranteed choice) is the way to go until reputable alternatives become available. Last thing you want is for it to break and **** up and have noone to go to.

yourfather
18-11-2007, 01:21 AM
u sure only $500? that cheap i say. Got info, not quote, would be around $1000 coz they have weld to chassis and also have to connect to brake/blinker light+other electrical thing.
long time ago, we bought land cruiser 100, and toyota gave us bonus tow bar worth $1000, they claimed:confused:

yeah they told you it was worth 1,000. But unless that thing is gold / platinum plated, 1,000 is a fantasy.

just get one of the boys that works for Honda AU to hook you up with something

EDCivicPunk
21-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I called hayman reece a while back and they said $350. Installation is easy as. If you have the ability to use yr arms and know how to use a spanner or racthet and socket, it will take 30mins tops.

I am most likely going to make my own with a towbar from another car. Can't be too hard.