PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers Suggestion

VT1-R
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
hi guys.. i tried search for coilover recommendation but didnt find any...

I hope u guys can give me some suggestions on coilovers.. any brand that is above D2 coilovers pls.. not saying D2 is not gd... but jus wan have a few others to choose from.. Budget is 1500 plus or minus.. thanks ppl..

recommend the brand u tink is gd and approximate price or even better where u noe to get it?.. thanks ppl... appreciated..

dsp26
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
depends what your planning to do with it bud...

plenty info here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

if it's for aesthetic use don't waste your do$h

VT1-R
07-11-2007, 08:56 PM
for some gd cornering around roundabouts or 40km ramp... not hardcore though..

dsp26
08-11-2007, 11:47 AM
for some gd cornering around roundabouts or 40km ramp... not hardcore though..

lol

get a good combo of shocks and springs... most worldwide acclaimed combo is:

Koni Yellows (damp adjustable) + Eibach Springs or Ground Control coilover sleeves (w/ eibach pro kit springs inc.)

If your not doing the hardcore stuff and still want coilovers then the cheap stuff like D2 is fine for you.

Reason I say the above is, as people who track know, the actual track and style of driving you plan dictates your combo in fr/rr spring rates paired with good dampers.

Don't want to get into the full technicalities of effects of spring rates and compression/rebound factors, body roll, chassis stiffness, etc in shocks because of your minimal purpose as there are people in that section who will be able to tell you a lot more... just not worth researching any further if you ain't doing the 'hardcore' stuff

dsp26
08-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Also theres the camber/toe correction factor from lowering your car, although there are general good settings like -1.5 front and -1.0 for rear, it does not mean it's optimum.... correcting that is dependent on how much your shocks compress on one side and body roll during a high speed turn as the % contact of your tire tread during said turn will vary.. again on the conditions of the area your driving in.

For roundabout use.. the generic setting i mentioned above is generally fine

VT1-R
09-11-2007, 02:07 AM
haha thanks man.. gd reply.. my fren also recommend me using Koni Yellow damp adjustable.. but i got Kings Springs low now.. will it be ok to just match both(koni n Kings) of them together.. and save the $400-$500 of getting the sleeve on other stuff like tuning.. haha.. thanks dude..

dsp26
09-11-2007, 07:24 AM
haha thanks man.. gd reply.. my fren also recommend me using Koni Yellow damp adjustable.. but i got Kings Springs low now.. will it be ok to just match both(koni n Kings) of them together.. and save the $400-$500 of getting the sleeve on other stuff like tuning.. haha.. thanks dude..

i'd love to answer that but i don't know how low kings are and what the spring rates are... i've always stayed away from them as i personally never considered them performance springs.

However if their not too low they should be fine with the Koni Yellows, pretty sure the design allows for longer shock travel from lowering.. not 100% sure though... don't want to look into Koni's again (and regret my cheapo KYB AGX purchase)

***EDIT***
i'll post up tonight where i got my AGXs... they also sell the Koni Yellows for a competitive price inc. delivery

VT1-R
09-11-2007, 09:15 PM
btw wat u tink of the KYB coilovers?.. good? i have some1 selling it cheap in gd condition. pls reply thanks mate..

bossee
09-11-2007, 11:06 PM
i like the teins... they are a bit rough but handle beautifully...

but if your choosing teins... make sure you get the AUS spec ones... the Jap ones are a lot harder than the AUS spec ones and aren't suitable for Australian tracks and roads.... my friend was actually slower around the track when he swapped from AUS teins to Jap Spec teins, you could probably pick up second hand teins off ebay for $500 - $1000

another thing to consider is the spring rate, a higher spring rate will mean better handling but it would also be bumpier, you could even bounce off speed humps, which isnt a good feeling trust me, a high speed bump could yank the steering wheel out of your hands.
I cant emphasize how important the correct spring rate is.

some coilover brands to consider are

Tein
Bilstein
Koni
G4
Tanabe

just remember that some of the cheaper brands come out of the same factory using the same parts (assembled in Taiwan) just different designers eg D2 and G4

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 01:21 AM
thanks dude.. apart from all those coilovers u suggested.. any thoughts about KYB coilovers.. i got some1(a reliable friend) able to get one from Japan for me.. So any comments bout the KYB? thanks..

dsp26
10-11-2007, 10:49 AM
thanks dude.. apart from all those coilovers u suggested.. any thoughts about KYB coilovers.. i got some1(a reliable friend) able to get one from Japan for me.. So any comments bout the KYB? thanks..

didn't know KYB make coilovers?? or did you mean the AGX??

i'll be honest so as to not be 'defending my purchase'.. if you can get it cheaper than the AU$440 i got it for then by all means get it for a decent budget setup with good springs.... otherwise spend a tad more and get the Koni Yellows

I've only had mine installed for 2 days, feels good with the lowered springs i put in that are a tad stiffer than DC2r ones.

However, if you check the Shock Dyno thread i posted in the sussy section, i will vouch for the agx results in that the 4 step damp adjust really only affects low-mid speed.... therefore would be good for the slwoer twisties like roundabouts...

I wouldn't consider AGX as a sports shock, but I would class them as an "OEM replacement for spirited drivers" The reason I got is coz i got them for the price of Excel-Gs. AGX's were worth AU$800 when they used to be supplied on demand by Autobarn.

VT1-R
10-11-2007, 05:58 PM
didn't know KYB make coilovers?? or did you mean the AGX??

i'll be honest so as to not be 'defending my purchase'.. if you can get it cheaper than the AU$440 i got it for then by all means get it for a decent budget setup with good springs.... otherwise spend a tad more and get the Koni Yellows

I've only had mine installed for 2 days, feels good with the lowered springs i put in that are a tad stiffer than DC2r ones.

However, if you check the Shock Dyno thread i posted in the sussy section, i will vouch for the agx results in that the 4 step damp adjust really only affects low-mid speed.... therefore would be good for the slwoer twisties like roundabouts...

I wouldn't consider AGX as a sports shock, but I would class them as an "OEM replacement for spirited drivers" The reason I got is coz i got them for the price of Excel-Gs. AGX's were worth AU$800 when they used to be supplied on demand by Autobarn.

Thanks for the help. KYB does Coilovers. I think its called "Kyb super special gymkhana coilovers" Its only going for $800 used under 10000km in Japan, my friend bringing it over cheap as he has big shipment coming in. Koni Yellow will cost $700++ without springs so I reckon go for the KYB coilovers? thanks mate.. You've been helpful.. The KYB has got rather nice comments in a hondatech US forum so with the coilover i dun think it will be OEM replacement for spirite drivers eh? haha.. Maybe for the shock.. waiting ur reply..