PDA

View Full Version : Pod Filter Or Panel Filter??? Help...

c1v1c96
07-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Hey guys,

I got a EK civic SOHC VTi and wanted to change the filter... But not sure what to do exactly!!! :confused:

Now, i dont want the car any more louder cos i got the exhaust done so it sounds nice there and want to leave it nice n clean in the throttle body for the engine to stay healthy, so dont want to remove the O2 sensor from the factory piping.

Therefore, i was either thinking of adding a panel filter (but i think that wont really give me sound or any performance, rite?) or a pod filter with a pipe extension from where the box starts to about where the gaurd is (so just a straight pipe)... What you guys think?

Just from your experieces, i want some pointers and advice to what to do exactly or my options are... also what is the best way to make a heat shield and with what material?

Sorry about silly questions but i'd rather be safe than sorry :)

Thanks for all your help.

Johnny.

applio
08-11-2007, 10:34 AM
got for a Panel Filter, its easy job! and good result too.

c1v1c96
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Yer im thinking of panel filter as its easy and quick to install... But its also restricted from getting alot of air.

Where as pod filter will get more air but will be a headache of getting the extension pipe n heat shield and clamps n all that crap.

Hmmm

krissy~eg5
08-11-2007, 02:13 PM
If you want big intake noise, go a pod with intake pipe.

For something more stealth, and to increase quality of your filter, go for the panel.

Dont forget that a pod will draw more HOT air if you dont install heat shielding...

c1v1c96
08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
If you want big intake noise, go a pod with intake pipe.

For something more stealth, and to increase quality of your filter, go for the panel.

Dont forget that a pod will draw more HOT air if you dont install heat shielding...

how much and whats the condition? Are you in melb...

krissy~eg5
08-11-2007, 03:26 PM
pm ME

aimre
08-11-2007, 08:18 PM
ur O2 sensor is in your exhaust dude

c1v1c96
08-11-2007, 10:09 PM
No, wat i meant by the O2 sensor was that plastic thing on the intake arm... i wanted to keep that on so it stays more original in a way!

aaronng
08-11-2007, 10:44 PM
No, wat i meant by the O2 sensor was that plastic thing on the intake arm... i wanted to keep that on so it stays more original in a way!
That's the intake air temperature sensor.

Limbo
09-11-2007, 02:27 PM
run a panel filter its better for you if your not too sure what to do. Also will keep the cops off your back

bossee
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM
a panel filter is an easier option, as you dont run the risk of sucking in hot air...

if you decide on a pod, it will suck in more air... but hot air... so theres no real gain... just more noise... if you box the pod and prevent it from sucking in hot air, it would be ideal... but pods do generate a lot more sound

c1v1c96
09-11-2007, 11:02 PM
thanx guys... well i did get a K&N pod filter yesterday and got a 3" pipe thats bend 45 degrees from an exhaust place...
Now, i'll try to make the box sometime tomorrow and hopefully that will go well... whats the best way tho to keep the air inside cool and keep the hot air away from the box?
Thats wat concerns me most...

NightKids
09-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Get a mugen intake kit

*closed*

bossee
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
thanx guys... well i did get a K&N pod filter yesterday and got a 3" pipe thats bend 45 degrees from an exhaust place...
Now, i'll try to make the box sometime tomorrow and hopefully that will go well... whats the best way tho to keep the air inside cool and keep the hot air away from the box?
Thats wat concerns me most...

run a 2" or 2.5" pipe from the box to the front bumper with a cheap dunny pipe or aircon hose

or just pipe the pod filter near the front bumper and well away from the engine... mines almost on the floor... lots of cold air, you can really feel the difference, only problem with that is watch out for water sucking into your intake

c1v1c96
09-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Get a mugen intake kit

*closed*

give me the money for it and i'll definitly get it... lol

c1v1c96
09-11-2007, 11:20 PM
bossee... i thought about putting the filter there man... but as you said, you're not gonna be checking 24/7 underneath the car to see what went in the filter besides it'll be too late anyways lol...

So to be safe like what others have done, i'll make a nice box with aliminium and polystrene (i have no idea where to get that from) and then close it up so its also legal :) so those pigs cant say shit when they see it :)

I'll post up some pics when i get it done!

bossee
09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
bossee... i thought about putting the filter there man... but as you said, you're not gonna be checking 24/7 underneath the car to see what went in the filter besides it'll be too late anyways lol...

So to be safe like what others have done, i'll make a nice box with aliminium and polystrene (i have no idea where to get that from) and then close it up so its also legal :) so those pigs cant say shit when they see it :)

I'll post up some pics when i get it done!

make sure you get a cold air feed into that box...

you can use something else other than polystyrene, you know that heat shield you use to put on your window on hot days to stop the interior from heating up? that shiny thing you pick up from the $2 store, use that, it doesn't melt as easily as polystyrene!

c1v1c96
09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
is the stock cold air feed any good or should i make a new one?

Yer Yer... actually thats a brilliant idea man about that shinny stuff to use... you sure i can get them from a $2 shop? Also, do u think its best to put in the inside of the box or outside so overtime if it breaks apart the filter doesnt suck it, yer?

bossee
10-11-2007, 12:39 AM
the stock air feed doesnt get enough cold air, keep it tho and make another one so you have 2 cold air feeds...

the weather shield is sold at my $2 store but if not just go get it at super cheap...

if you keep it on the outside its going to look ghey, i say keep it inside the box, keep the heat out lol it also doesnt break that easily, its a sheet...

i dunno your call

Hacs
11-11-2007, 12:09 AM
i have an ek1 like u buddy, k&n panel filter works wonders.. chuck one in and you'll notice a big difference esp if your car is used in normal street crusing..

if u track it, then ur best (and some may argue, only) option.. would be pod filter.. but yeah, for ek1 then k&n panel filter ftw :)

yourfather
11-11-2007, 12:11 AM
save your coin for a B series K series swap

c1v1c96
11-11-2007, 03:19 AM
i have an ek1 like u buddy, k&n panel filter works wonders.. chuck one in and you'll notice a big difference esp if your car is used in normal street crusing..

if u track it, then ur best (and some may argue, only) option.. would be pod filter.. but yeah, for ek1 then k&n panel filter ftw :)

Hey man, i actually put the filter with the extension pipe in there today and went for a long cruise... you know wat, you're rite... it was awesome - the sound, the cold air sucking and the smoothness:thumbsup: BUT in terms of petrol spendning :thumbdwn: lol cos it was like skulling the tank like no tomo, i really noticed!!!

At the end of the day, i think im liking it heaps and enjoying the difference!!! I'll be working on making the box tomorrow hopefully and make it proper intake so its stable :)

c1v1c96
11-11-2007, 03:21 AM
save your coin for a B series K series swap

I wish i can afford that bro... But spending a couple of hundreds is WAYYYY better for me than spending $6k lol...

oh wellz, hopefully one day :p

kingyy
18-11-2007, 09:44 PM
i got defected for my POD so i am using K&N panel and just have the same performance

Gio
27-11-2007, 04:54 PM
the pannel can lick my balls, im going pod when i get the money

c1v1c96
27-11-2007, 05:22 PM
LOL... no need for licking any balls man... relax!

Although, i ended up getting a POD as well and it has been awesome :D

POD FTW!!! :cool: