PDA

View Full Version : EK Noob!

shookiie
08-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Hey guys,

Brand spanking new to this forum. I am currently on the search for a EK VTI-R Hatch.

What should I be looking for when I buy the car?
Is Air Flow valve (unsure will confirm) a common problem for the Honda's?
How much would it to be replaced? Selling quoted me $200 - $250.
Normal sounds of Honda's and what should be on the look out for?

Sorry, I've went to driving a Turbo to a VTEC ;P So please take it easy on the noob!

[ Currently in the looking for a EK in MELBOURNE - **QBALL EDIT: No swaps are allowed - esp for newcomers**]

Guys,

This is what Im asking, Don't think I've made it clear. What other things then the engine should I be looking at that's common problems with Honda's all together. For example body work, rust, engine bay rust, strut tower problems, strut spring rates are f'd and other things like that. I know it's no turbo, I just need to know what's the common things on Honda's that should be looked out on when purchasing a second hand one. The problems that car recieve over a period of time and other things like that.

Kiz_EG6
08-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Better, buy my DC2R :angel:

Nah, but look i've now owned a B16A EG and my DC2R and have found no problems with either!!

To be honest, Honda parts, as people say are a bit more expensive than say a toyota or holden, but they are very reliable, and parts availability is very good, so even though you may have to spend the $, you won't be waiting on parts for long!!

blahZ
08-11-2007, 09:30 AM
frm turbo to vtec thats a downgrade my friend vtec is POS

shookiie
08-11-2007, 09:36 AM
If i could i wouldn't but the cops are forcing me too. too many times got defected

blahZ
08-11-2007, 09:37 AM
^^^^ hondas doo get defects too not jst only turbo cars

Kiz_EG6
08-11-2007, 09:44 AM
In my experience rice and noise gets defect... keep it subtle and you won't get pulled over!

I bet the turbo had a nice loud BOV for the cops to single out, what did you drive?

shookiie
08-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Nope, no BOV. Had it turned into plumback.
180SX - was just unlucky got pulled up at a booze bus and they asked me to pull over and check my car and things like that. FMIC sorta was sticking out my front bar therefore knowing that I was driving a turbo.

*New LAWs don't allow me to drive my turbo so therefore moving onto a VTEC.

Would we be able to stick on the topic?

The VTi-R I am currently intersted in purchasing needs the "intake air control value" changed. Is that a common problem on Honda's?

shinji112
08-11-2007, 10:39 AM
why does the IACV need to be replaced? have u asked them that? common problem with hondas is that the IACV can get dirty and on hot days ur engine revs drops heaps and feels like its gonna die any second. just need to take it off and give it a good cleaning with some carby/throttle body cleaner

Kiz_EG6
08-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Nope, no BOV. Had it turned into plumback.
180SX - was just unlucky got pulled up at a booze bus and they asked me to pull over and check my car and things like that. FMIC sorta was sticking out my front bar therefore knowing that I was driving a turbo.

*New LAWs don't allow me to drive my turbo so therefore moving onto a VTEC.

Would we be able to stick on the topic?

The VTi-R I am currently intersted in purchasing needs the "intake air control value" changed. Is that a common problem on Honda's?

Yeah, sorry man, sorry to hear bout ur bad luck too... as i said, you can buy my R, pretty sweet man, stock too, except for exhaust, so cops look past it :)

shookiie
08-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Would you be able to post my a link to your "R"
He said that it needs to be changed but works normally so he probably doesn't know that you could clean it with throttle body cleaner. Is it intake air control value works like an "Air Flow Meter"? Sorry just really use to turbo cars so just starting my reserach on VteCs.

What other things are common problems with Honda when purchased?

Kiz_EG6
08-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Would you be able to post my a link to your "R"
He said that it needs to be changed but works normally so he probably doesn't know that you could clean it with throttle body cleaner. Is it intake air control value works like an "Air Flow Meter"? Sorry just really use to turbo cars so just starting my reserach on VteCs.

What other things are common problems with Honda when purchased?

Hey man it's here:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78009
or here
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/INTEGRA/details.aspx?__Ntk=CarAll&__D=type%20r&__Dx=mode+matchany&seot=0&Cr=6&state_id=82&keywords=type%20r&State=Victoria&__N=4294965322+82+413+4294965105+834+285+257&silo=1003&distance=25&R=1875323&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&__Ntt=type%20r&trecs=15&__Nne=20&__Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&PriceMax=25000&__sid=10F104C6D9EC&Model=INTEGRA&Make=HONDA

I don't know what ur price range is, as they are worth a bit more than a VTiR, but you will not be disappointed, if you still have ur 180, i would consider swapsies with a cash adjustment, depending on what you got!!
Also, you located in Vic, coz ur welcome to come have a look if you can...

shookiie
08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
I just PM'd you.

If anyone else is selling a EK VTI -R please notice me?

*What should I be looking for when purchasing one?

blahZ
08-11-2007, 02:22 PM
if the engine is vtec or not?

shookiie
08-11-2007, 02:25 PM
sighs, im' not a car noob. just a honda noob.

i know the basic's, but just for honda's. rust areas, engine bay rust, chassy bars still intack things like that.

Kiz_EG6
08-11-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sre that all VTiR ek's are vtec man unless someone's down scales it, in which case it shouldn't be advertised as a VTiR, i think you should stop posting if ur just going to put shit up... what is ur problem with vtec, why would you care if you "rice" not "race" anyway?
Vtec is no turbo, but it's an excellent system!

blahZ
08-11-2007, 02:29 PM
wow!! relaxxxx brO!!
jst tryna help bump this up LOL!!

go have a wank mate..:)

cristian
08-11-2007, 02:49 PM
haha hai u shit stirrer...

blahZ
08-11-2007, 02:50 PM
bored at work mannn need a laugh..

here ya go hope this helps mate
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30977
are you happy kizeg6

shookiie
08-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Guys,

This is what Im asking, Don't think I've made it clear. What other things then the engine should I be looking at that's common problems with Honda's all together. For example body work, rust, engine bay rust, strut tower problems, strut spring rates are f'd and other things like that. I know it's no turbo, I just need to know what's the common things on Honda's that should be looked out on when purchasing a second hand one. The problems that car recieve over a period of time and other things like that.

cristian
08-11-2007, 03:54 PM
test drive for clickin noises when u turn...always a must for hard driven fwd's

shookiie
08-11-2007, 07:38 PM
thanks mate, anything else?

nigs
08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda's have this recurring problem, I'm not sure if you've notice.
They seem to be SLOW.

/bait

yesiamaturk
09-11-2007, 12:13 AM
ozhonda the only forum where people bash there own cars lol, i love this place, lol, seriously but mate honda's are fairly good in there build quality there only problems seem to be the users. Just check for the usual thinks in a fwd car such as;
-clicking cv's ive seen a few get a bit too much wheelspin off the lights
-check the radiator to see if it has coolant ussually green but sometimes red instead of water or nothing at all
-check the gearbox functions properly without noise
-check the clutch when you take it for a test drive by giving it full throttle in 4th to put some tourqe on it
-see if there any leaks
-get underneath the car dont be scared look for any damage
-ask for some evidence of service history (log books, reciepts etc)
-also with the paint it should be in fairly good condition besides the odd dent or mark or some stone chips, except the red has tendancy to fade if not looked after properly.

thats the only thing that comes to mind right now, just keep in mind that the type of buyer that bought and ek4 wasnt a granny however, if serviced properly can last for a very long time. and please feel free to correct me if im wrong

sorry if it seemed a bit obvious but...
My 1.9999999c

steve88
09-11-2007, 08:01 AM
also with the gearbox, check out for a whirrling noise (bearings are farked)