PDA

View Full Version : CD5 - Lowered springs

Nepolian
08-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi Guys,

My Accord was lowered about 2 months. Now it is lower than what I wanted. Whilst it isnt slammed as they are only std lower springs, I use it to carry alot of heavy stuff. Quick desc would be that the top of the tyres are almost on par with the guard, which about normal.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE IS TO SWAP SOMEONE WITH A SETUP WHICH IS NOT SO LOW! DONT WANT STD SPRINGS AS I HAVE THEM!

IE...YOU WANNA GO LOWER, I WANNA GO HIGHER, WE SWAP.

Throw me a line on what you have and we'll go from there. I am using std shocks atm. Will swap spring only or complete, up to you.

Pics of car will surely help.

Thanks in advance

FAT VTI
01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
champ,
Ebay off your springs ,
get k-macs, they manufacture in house to your desired ride height, therefore the height will be exactly wat YOU want it to be.
but remember, allow for sagging over a long period of time.
Sean

Spoon-Accord
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
compressing springs aswell is a bad thing,
compress 3 inches from my standard springs,
it dropped another 2, now the wheels are up in the wells,
and my car is scrapping the floor arrghh, to hell with compressed springs

on with the coilovers :)

FAT VTI
08-01-2008, 05:13 PM
yeah i agree,
however compressed aftermarket springs, 1-1.5inch should be okay, however i do believe your springs are only as good as ur shocks, worry more bout your shocks then your springs, unless your oem ones are known to be very good.

Sean

Feverpitched
09-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Aftermarket springs aren't compressed, they're manufactured to spec. Compressing, or oxy-lowering, is about as dodgy as cutting coils.

JohnL
09-01-2008, 11:31 AM
compressing springs aswell is a bad thing,
compress 3 inches from my standard springs,
it dropped another 2, now the wheels are up in the wells,
and my car is scrapping the floor arrghh, to hell with compressed springs

If you've heated the spring (with a blowtorch?!) to lower it then then unless you've done it properly you've definitely detroyed the temper of the steel in at least some part of the spring, and now the elastic limit of the steel has been drastically reduced, which is why you ended up with more drop than you wanted. The springs are now junk, get new ones, they will probably keep dropping over time until the damaged coils become coil bound.

There is a 'proper' way to compress / shorten coils. This involves placing the coil in a special spring compressor (that ensures the spring is compressed in a perfectly 'straight' manner, not more on one side than the other), then compressing the coil by the amount you want to shorten. The compressed coil and the spring compressor are now placed in a hot oven and heated to a certain temperature that is BELOW the temperature that will affect the heat treatment of the steel, and left for a few hours at this temp, then allowed to slowly cool down.

You need to know the correct temp at which to do this (and I'm not sure what it is, and it may vary from steel to steel but may not). A spring correctly shortened in this manner will retain the original rate (as opposed to a cut spring that will become slightly or significantly stiffer, depending on how much wire length has been cut off), but because of this will be in even more danger of easily bottoming out than a cut spring of the same length

FAT VTI
09-01-2008, 05:34 PM
i didnt say they came compressed, i said u could get them compressed.

And as said above by john L, there is certainly a proper way of doing it, and many sussy shops should be able to do a decent job

Sean

Spoon-Accord
14-01-2008, 03:31 AM
i'll take a picture of my car before and after the compressing and you'll see the diffrence,

compressed springs = crap!

do it right the first time or leave it stock,

my 2cents :)

fongyfong
15-01-2008, 01:52 AM
how low are the springs and what brand are they i got king springs

Spoon-Accord
15-01-2008, 05:16 AM
i got standard bmw springs compressed lol

Nepolian
28-01-2008, 04:11 PM
how low are the springs and what brand are they i got king springs

If you are refering to me, then they're std king lows.

esprit
23-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Thinking of grabbing a set of these to try, says they're designed to work with OEM shocks too: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-94-97-HONDA-ACCORD-JDM-BLACK-LOWERING-SPRINGS_W0QQitemZ170196336291QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33 582QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone else tried em?

FAT VTI
23-02-2008, 01:55 PM
mate,
they're just 1.5inch lowered springs.
Using them with stock shocks would work, however it will reduce the lifetime of your stock shocks.
They are basically the same thing as king springs low....1.5inch drop.

Personally, I wouldn't use them with stock shocks, but if you only want a 1.5inch drop then they might be alright.

incoming
15-03-2008, 09:19 AM
is this thread still open?

pics of your ride height
i might be interested. got me pedders but not as low as i hoped

skyflyer
18-03-2008, 11:40 PM
Sorry, quick question while discussing about suspension. Is Cusco coilover (made in Japan) for CD Accord better than any other aftermarket like for example Tein? Thanks.