PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Noise

Pumped
08-11-2007, 02:21 PM
About 3 weeks ago i installed Zeal Coilovers on my car.
Bought 2nd hand and from what i can tell are in great condition.

However,
since installing the coilovers ive had a rather loud clanging/crunching noise from the rear of my car.
ive check the top strut bolts, there tight,
The sway bar links seem tight.

What else should i be checking for a possible cause of the noise?
It seems to be coming from the Top part of the coilover where it attachs to the chassis.
Its a constant noise and only ever really stops on Super smooth roads and even then it can still occur.

Hopefully this week i'll be able to remove/reinstall the coilover.
Is it possible it hasnt been installed 100% correctly?

I do have an aftermarket swaybar but this noise did not occur before the coilover install.

Im quite sure the noise wasnt there the first day i installed the coilovers and started occuring the second time i drove it.
what else may be loose?

Any help would be great, its driving me crazy :p

rahul
08-11-2007, 03:38 PM
join the club!

SiReal
08-11-2007, 03:51 PM
how low are you? a mate with a EG sedan, his exhuast pipe was hitting the LCA. but it wasnt really a clang sound i guess. still made sounds on unever surfaces.

Pumped
08-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Its probably sitting around 35mm lower then standard,
Not much lower then the springs i had in it.

The noise is almost constant :(

ADM13R
10-08-2009, 09:10 PM
if anyone knows the cause of this problem pleae help out cos i am another member with this problem. i have g4 coilovers in my euro with 20s and is lowered 4 inch at the back and every bump i hear a thumping noise and sounds pretty much exact to what was described above. if anyone can help please post :D

aaronng
10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Did you lower it using the lower spring perch? If you did, then the springs might not be captive when you go over bumps.

outatime
10-08-2009, 09:30 PM
i think it's the bolt attached to the lower control arm.. check and make sure it's tight.

or like aaron said check the spring perches they might be lose.

Pumped
10-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I never sorted mine out, Always had the noise with the coilovers
had them checked out by suspension shops and they couldnt figure it out

Changed back to standard struts & springs and it was fine

i tried several things, everything was tight, nothing was visibly rubbing, drove me crazy!
i had read on another forum that it could be the swaybar but that was after i had removed my coilovers so i never got to check that

outatime
10-08-2009, 11:05 PM
hmm it could be the coilover springs.. if they are uncompressed they make noises.. a way to fix it is to use helper springs

jyh888
11-08-2009, 02:56 PM
I recently got my car serviced at pro concept, great service! They told me that my coilovers may be installed incorrectly as I did it myself but I don't get any clunking noises etc and I have been driving around in them for a few months but I do know that when I installed it (buddyclub ) I adjusted the spring preload instead of the shock body to adjust the height so right now the spring length is probably inconsistent - my question is josh at pro concept recommended a recheck and corner weighting, is that necessary? Ad what is corner weighting? Did anyone who diy do this??

ADM13R
11-08-2009, 06:30 PM
im not sure if it lowered using the spring perch as it was done at a mechanics. the noise didnt start straight away after installing. if i remember correctly the height is adjusted by turning the bottom of the coilover after it is unbolted from the bottom. i may have to theck the bottom bot and see if its loose. What do you mean by the spring not being captive???

Type R Positive
11-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Ad what is corner weighting?
You can change the weight of each corner of the car by adjusting each coilover separately. It is a must if you want a good handling, balanced car. Google it, im sure there is heaps of info on it.

aaronng
12-08-2009, 07:24 AM
It's good to do, but if you are going to adjust your height again in the future at home, then not worth doing it because the balance will be disturbed when you change height.