PDA

View Full Version : South Aust: Regency Advice (Defected)

00dc2
08-11-2007, 04:27 PM
My mate who has a DC2R got defected today

He has maximworks Mbit headers, JDM Cat, fujitsubo powergetter exhaust and zeal coilovers.

The reason for the defect was the exhaust.

So he pretty much has to change the exhaust for the regency inspection right? can a non standard exhaust pass inspection? what happens if he tries and its too loud and it fails?

apparently though he cant drive around with the car as is between then and now so he has to change the exhaust.

But the real question is does he have to change his headers back to stock for the inspection? (will they notice/care about them?)

And will he have to change his suspension back to stock too? (will they notice/care about the coilovers?)

Any advice and info would be appreciated.

90LAN
08-11-2007, 04:39 PM
anything that is not oem stock equipment he could be a possibility that he can be defected on those items
so put everything stock back on!

00dc2
08-11-2007, 04:45 PM
he also has slotted rotors.. its going to cost the earth to get all this stuff taken off.. he doesnt have stock rotors to put back on there...

what happens if they say "those are not standard rotors".. what will they do?

smomo
08-11-2007, 05:02 PM
The rotors should be alright. He'll have to change the suspension though, regency don't usually like coilovers, even if their set above the legal ride height. Not sure about the headers however....probably depends on the inspector

CTR Coupe
08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
yep he's gotta take off everything but the brake rotors.(even then I'm not sure about them)

if it fails you are out the regency inspection fee plus you have to come back again and pay the fee again PLUS the car is re-defected and you will have to apply for permits to drive it.
Those permits only apply for one day and you are only allowed to drive to the workshop you have specified on the permit. So basically you can't drive it until your next regency inspection.

you can sometimes get the police to inspect the car again after you have corrected everything on the regency list but it depends on what the items are.

Your friend = Humped

ZeForce
08-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Headers should be fine, so long as the exhaust isnt too loud and still has a catalytic converter. He may not need to remove the entire exhuast, a friend of mine passed by simply placing metal plates with small holes between the header and exhaust flange to quiet it down.

On the initial inspection they will check the entire vehicle and they will basically write a list of all the non-satisfactory items, then you just have to fix those issues and book another inspection where they will only check that you have fixed the items on the list.

ZeForce
08-11-2007, 05:42 PM
yep he's gotta take off everything but the brake rotors.(even then I'm not sure about them)

if it fails you are out the regency inspection fee plus you have to come back again and pay the fee again PLUS the car is re-defected and you will have to apply for permits to drive it.
Those permits only apply for one day and you are only allowed to drive to the workshop you have specified on the permit. So basically you can't drive it until your next regency inspection.

you can sometimes get the police to inspect the car again after you have corrected everything on the regency list but it depends on what the items are.

Your friend = Humped

Thats not entirely true, you can drive a defected vehicle to and from regency/mechanics/workshop/etc without permits as long as your car is registrated, however you will not be able to renew your registration if it expires and your vehicle is defected.

CTR Coupe
08-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Thats not entirely true, you can drive a defected vehicle to and from regency/mechanics/workshop/etc without permits as long as your car is registrated, however you will not be able to renew your registration if it expires and your vehicle is defected.

i was under the impression that you had 24/48 hours to get the car off the road. then after that time you had to have an inspection at a police station after you had made a booking with regency and removed items listed on the defect form?

This is how it happened for me when i was defected.

CTR Coupe
08-11-2007, 06:06 PM
moved to technical forum since this isn't Integra specific.

Edgeauto
08-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Zeforce and CTRCoupe are both correct. you can drive your car to and from regency/mechanics/workshop/etc without permits if you car has rego but if your rectify the defected item and have it inspection at a police station after you had made a booking with regency you can drive it until the booking date or until you rego runs out. aftermarket exhausts are fine as long as they past noise and emissions tests. Also if he has tint on his front windows make sure he takes a razor blade with him so he can rip it off if he has too:(

00dc2
09-11-2007, 12:47 AM
hold on.. so a non oem exhaust can pass inspection as long as its not too loud? He has a JDM cat and headers.. so as long as he passes emissions and noise then its ok.. wow.. if he fails its sh!ty! not really worth risking is it...

coilovers are a DEFINATE no no?

sounds like my mate is humped!

this really puts me off my plans of modifying my car!

:(

ZeForce
09-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Its really not that bad

Edgeauto
09-11-2007, 06:03 AM
I got through a couple of month ago with an empty cat and a 2" exhaust with just the standard rear muffler, they never check my emissions so they didnt know the cat was empty:D

00dc2
09-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Its really not that bad

why do you say that?

my mate has to take the coilovers off and he might have to revert back to stock headers/cat/exhaust as the AUDM lengths dont match the JDM lengths so he probably cant just bolt on a audm exhaust onto the jdm header+cat

this will cost hundreds!

teaseR
09-11-2007, 10:58 AM
just change the axle back
and coilovers
should be an easy job

Limbo
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
some mechanics have a DB tester & emmissions testing, system. Might wanna go try out first and see if the non-standard one passes.
Normally Jasma rated exhausts should pass. Most likely you can just bolt on a stock muffler and pass. Coilovers will need to be changed though but you can put that back on later

00dc2
11-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I dont understand why coilovers are so frowned upon..
http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/personal_transport/light_vehicles_pdfs/Info_bulletin_3.pdf

it says this for suspension

"A vehicle's suspension system has been designed for adequate strength and durability as well as its level of ride,
comfort and handling. It is acceptable to fit upgraded springs, shock absorbers or anti-rollbars provided they
are correctly fitted and suitable for the vehicle. Some vehicle manufacturers have optional suspension
equipment available.
When lowering a vehicle body, either front or rear, the limiting factor is the clearance between the rubber bump
stop and the corresponding metal stop. This dimension must not be reduced by more than one third of that
specified by the manufacturer."

They allow upgraded springs and shocks.. then why not coilovers? because its not idiot proof?

CTR Coupe
11-11-2007, 02:19 PM
you can have coil overs if the sleeves are welded. its like silencers in mufflers they have to be welded in to pass inspection. They know once you drive out of the inspection place your going to drop it on its **** again or rip out the silencer.

This is my understanding of it. but i just removed mine it was easier not to try and fight them on the issue. so far the only "coilovers" i know that have passed inspection were a set of koni yellows but they have a cir-clip design rather than screw adjustment so theres only 3 hight settings on them.

my car went through inspection with Type R pedals (real ones not fake stick on crap), Type R ABS steering wheel, type R head lights, Type R cluster and upgraded rear sway bar everything else was converted back to stock.

I got through a couple of month ago with an empty cat and a 2" exhaust with just the standard rear muffler, they never check my emissions so they didnt know the cat was empty:D

Hmmmm seems what I've been hearing is BS then.
I heard they had a dyno down there now and were testing emissions unless someone thought the brake dyno they have down there was a engine dyno.

just change the axle back
and coilovers
should be an easy job

Axle back isn't going to marry up to the after market B pipe without mods. same as the stock B pipe isn't going to fit with the JDM Cat.

It might be cheaper rather than having it all removed is to have an exhaust place mod your standard B-pipe to fit the JDM cat. Rather than removing the headers and re-fitting them. Plus then you have a plan if you get done again.

ECU-MAN
11-11-2007, 04:56 PM
why do you say that?

my mate has to take the coilovers off and he might have to revert back to stock headers/cat/exhaust as the AUDM lengths dont match the JDM lengths so he probably cant just bolt on a audm exhaust onto the jdm header+cat

this will cost hundreds!

it really isnt that bad.

its only an exhaust and suspention.

imagine an entire turbo setup, and all the bling bling in the cabin.

they dont like RSM, VAFC ect either, if you can, hide anything like that.

not only does the exhaust depend on loudness and emmisions, but also ground clearance,

make sure everything that came with the car is functional, down to the washer jets. and take out any bluish headlight and park globes.

Fo55il
12-11-2007, 02:27 PM
as long as it isnt louder than the limit and dun have black smoke pouring out of it will pass.

They defect u cause of the noise not cause its aftermarket or that it is huge n shiny.