PDA

View Full Version : HID's for the Euro

Ragerunner
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi guys,

I am looking into buying HID's for my euro. The thing is, there are so many out there at varying prices i'm not too sure what I should be looking for.

I have chosen to go for the 6000K one, which is pure white right?

But I can't really decide what brand to get and which is the best for price/quality.

Also, are HID's easy to self install? Or should I be taking it to somewhere professional? I have no experience in what switching to HID's involve, so I want to know if it's an easy follow the instructions type of procedure?

Thanks!

aaronng
10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72077
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52553

EUR003act
10-11-2007, 10:34 PM
pure white is 5000k

brightest possible white is 4300-4700k (used in all standard HID cars)

6000k is sexyiest colour without loosing too much output

8000k looks hot but you sacrifice approx 50% light output

EuroAccord13
10-11-2007, 10:52 PM
The new HID kits are plug and play units so it's an ease, you only have to figure out where you want to mount the ballast....

J-TODA
11-11-2007, 12:12 AM
^^ yer thats right...takes 2hrs?? maybe less... jst the hasssle of removing front bar and putting on front bar

Ragerunner
11-11-2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Hmmmm....after reading a few threads I'm starting to re-consider getting HID's and perhaps just change the stock halogen globe to the Raybrig one's that JDMCONCEPT sells for $98.

What do you guys think? Are they any good?

Also, for the parking/interior lights in the euro, what details should I be looking for so if i buy new ones they fit perfectly?

aaronng
11-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Also, for the parking/interior lights in the euro, what details should I be looking for so if i buy new ones they fit perfectly?
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=345947&postcount=21

The parkers are also T10 wedge bulbs.

applio
11-11-2007, 11:14 AM
i able to help you out!!!

akina
11-11-2007, 03:41 PM
^^ yer thats right...takes 2hrs?? maybe less... jst the hasssle of removing front bar and putting on front bar

u dont need to remove the front bar...

J-TODA
11-11-2007, 07:21 PM
u dont need to remove the front bar...

realli ??i would assume it would be easier if u did....instead of trying squeeze ur hand through the gaps inorder to securely install the bulbs

akina
11-11-2007, 07:25 PM
well... i dont know how taking off the bumper bar is going to help... unless u take off the whole head light unit as well, THEN u have plenty of space to work with ;)

Even if u want to change the parkers u dont need to take off bumper. Turn ur wheel to one side and take off 2 clips up the top and squeeze ur hand inside to change it :D

J-TODA
11-11-2007, 07:31 PM
yer ahha dats wat i meant... removing the headlight ;)

yer dats true...for parkers u dont need to remove front bar :)

akina
11-11-2007, 07:39 PM
haha yes it would help but it would take a lot longer :p

so dont do it! save time! But then u risk breaking the bulb when ur trying to force it in too much haha

Suntzu
12-11-2007, 08:07 PM
My bro in law put a hid kit in his alfa 156. Took 1 hour. Not a bad result.

Im not sure of the legalities in my Euro as its a standar so I dont know the local ACT laws on retrofitting a HID kit to stock projectors.

Im thinking it will be fine though.

Know any reputable brands?

aaronng
12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
My bro in law put a hid kit in his alfa 156. Took 1 hour. Not a bad result.

Im not sure of the legalities in my Euro as its a standar so I dont know the local ACT laws on retrofitting a HID kit to stock projectors.

Im thinking it will be fine though.

Know any reputable brands?

With HID, no headlight washers and no autolevellers = illegal.

phobolism
12-11-2007, 09:03 PM
how come hids need autolevellers to be legal, never knew that lol

akina
12-11-2007, 09:15 PM
so u dont kill on coming traffic by blinding them all when u got luggage or fat ppl at the back

no... not many ppl know and they start arguing that all they need is HIDs below certain amount of how many K................... rubbish.

aaronng
12-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Yup, however, not many cops know to check for the washers, and the autolevellers themselves can't be identified from a simple roadside inspection.

neborama
12-11-2007, 09:30 PM
I suggest you get OEM HIDS, so buy another set of Euro Lux headlights + ballasts + ignitors, D2S Bulbs but of course this comes at a cost**
But like aaronng said, it will NOT be legal unless you have auto levellers + washers but hey nothing what's legal these days? haha

Akina, it is very possible to change ur parker lights by just squeezing ur hand through the back of the headlight cavity (you might need to loosen the water bottle on the left). Anyway, how's it going dude? :)

akina
12-11-2007, 09:37 PM
lol I tried on the right first and couldn't get to it... so decided to go from the bottom and it worked... so i did the same on the left :p

I'm fine man, waiting for answers on either HKS or Fuji exhaust :) how about u?

aaronng
12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Akina, it is very possible to change ur parker lights by just squeezing ur hand through the back of the headlight cavity (you might need to loosen the water bottle on the left). Anyway, how's it going dude? :)
It's easier to go through the wheel liner.

Suntzu
13-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Im not that worried about the auto leveller and washers. I know its not entirely legal but as Euro Lux have them the cop isnt going to know from far if its a lux or a standard.

My question is : Will the Euro standard projector assembly handle the output and heat from a hid ( is it the same internals as a lux) or will I MELT the standards projector?

aaronng
13-11-2007, 09:55 AM
My question is : Will the Euro standard projector assembly handle the output and heat from a hid ( is it the same internals as a lux) or will I MELT the standards projector?
HIDs run cooler than halogens. The projector assembly for the base model is for halogens though, so when you put a HID bulb in it, the beam pattern is not as good as in the Lux with its HID projectors. You get more glare and the irritating shadows running from the bottom of the headlight out towards the front of the car.

EUR003act
13-11-2007, 10:01 AM
HIDs run cooler than halogens. The projector assembly for the base model is for halogens though, so when you put a HID bulb in it, the beam pattern is as good as in the Lux with its HID projectors. You get more glare and the irritating shadows running from the bottom of the headlight out towards the front of the car.

i think you meant to say ISN'T as good... ? :)

halogen and HID globes have different focal points... therefore, placing a HID in a housing designed for halogens, will most times actually give you less light on the road, but alot more glare... if you want to do it for the look, then go for it, but you'll sacrifice some output... if you want brighter headlights, try xexon charged phillips 50+ globes...

aaronng
13-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Yup, I missed out the "not"

I reckon it will still be brighter than halogens, but the light just spills everywhere and blinds oncoming traffic.

my_vtec77
13-11-2007, 10:18 AM
i think you meant to say ISN'T as good... ? :)

halogen and HID globes have different focal points... therefore, placing a HID in a housing designed for halogens, will most times actually give you less light on the road, but alot more glare... if you want to do it for the look, then go for it, but you'll sacrifice some output... if you want brighter headlights, try xexon charged phillips 50+ globes...

Are these philips globes as bright as OEM HIDs? I thinking of getting those instead. Coz aftermarket cheap HIDs give too much drama.

Just wondering, to put those philips globes, do i need to remove front bumper?

EUR003act
13-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Are these philips globes as bright as OEM HIDs? I thinking of getting those instead. Coz aftermarket cheap HIDs give too much drama.

not as bright as OEM HIDs in the proper HID housing no... but they will be brighter than the stock halogens...

as aaronng said, HIDs in no HID housing will spill light everywhere, you dont get the proper "lighting" half the output will go up into the air

aaronng
13-11-2007, 12:54 PM
No, OEM HIDs are brighter. But, are you going to spend over 1k to get new lux headlights, D2S bulbs and ballast?

No, go through the engine bay. There is a round removable plastic cover behind the headlight.

applio
13-11-2007, 03:57 PM

dont wast your money on them, there are even worse than the stock halogen! u cant see anything at rain!!! with those philips "HID" look bulbs!

applio
13-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Yup, I missed out the "not"

I reckon it will still be brighter than halogens, but the light just spills everywhere and blinds oncoming traffic.

not 100% ture, if you had a projector housing, you still got the clear cut off line, you just dont got the autoleveling system, but you can manuel adjusting it, and also not the wash system!

some OEM HID are come in reflector houisng too, the r34 GTR come stock HID on reflector housing, and not all HID installed on reflector housing will spills half of them on the air, most of the reflector houisng come with the little reflecting cap will able to control the reflection of the light. but they still dont have a clear cut off line, and some of the beam pattern are still uncontroable. but unlike if you put HID in some BMW that runing H7 on a reflector housing, since they dont have the little reflecting cap comes with, they do spill half of them on the air, when facing against a wall the beam pattern looks like a big circles....

aaronng
13-11-2007, 05:46 PM
not 100% ture, if you had a projector housing, you still got the clear cut off line, you just dont got the autoleveling system, but you can manuel adjusting it, and also not the wash system!

some OEM HID are come in reflector houisng too, the r34 GTR come stock HID on reflector housing, and not all HID installed on reflector housing will spills half of them on the air, most of the reflector houisng come with the little reflecting cap will able to control the reflection of the light. but they still dont have a clear cut off line, and some of the beam pattern are still uncontroable. but unlike if you put HID in some BMW that runing H7 on a reflector housing, since they dont have the little reflecting cap comes with, they do spill half of them on the air, when facing against a wall the beam pattern looks like a big circles....
I'm not talking about something as simple as projectors and reflectors. In a projector housing, the lens focal length and distance from the bulb is calculated for a halogen bulb. When you put a HID kit in, the focal length and distance is no longer suitable for the light source. Go pull out the headlights from the base and the lux Euro, they have differences in terms of the distance between the lens and the back of the housing.

applio
13-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm not talking about something as simple as projectors and reflectors. In a projector housing, the lens focal length and distance from the bulb is calculated for a halogen bulb. When you put a HID kit in, the focal length and distance is no longer suitable for the light source. Go pull out the headlights from the base and the lux Euro, they have differences in terms of the distance between the lens and the back of the housing.

there are screw in the housing for you the adjust the distance up down and wide for the light level

aaronng
13-11-2007, 07:54 PM
there are screw in the housing for you the adjust the distance up down and wide for the light level

I'm not talking about how high/low or wide/narrow the light is. I'm talking about the focal point. The focal point should be at the point where the bulb's brightest spot is, so that it can project a good coherent beam all the way from near to "infinity" on the other side of the lens.

Bulb brightest point at "f" will project a beam that doesn't converge nor diverge:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/refrn/u14l5da8.gif

applio
13-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm not talking about how high/low or wide/narrow the light is. I'm talking about the focal point. The focal point should be at the point where the bulb's brightest spot is, so that it can project a good coherent beam all the way from near to "infinity" on the other side of the lens.

Bulb brightest point at "f" will project a beam that doesn't converge nor diverge:
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/refrn/u14l5da8.gif

i know is not perfect, but they still better than the reflector!

and the srew is for you the adjust the light to close to the "f" point!

EUR003act
13-11-2007, 10:13 PM

i have never seen an aftermarket HID kit with a focusing screw! every single (ive seen alot!) replacement HID ive ever seen (ie: H4, H1, H3, etc..) has always had the "arc" in a different place the the stock filament... always... doesnt matter whether its a reflector or projector style globe, with the focus point is in a different place to what the housing was designed for you'll get alot of spill and so called "hot spots"

as you can see in the pic below (from my old car) the HID doesnt have the same definition in its pattern, its alot rounder, and theres alot more "glare"
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/diff.jpg

aaronng
14-11-2007, 06:44 AM

I doubt the screw is able to get the H1 HID bulb to the right location. If you compare a halogen H1 and an HID H1, the halogen is much shorter.

applio
14-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I doubt the screw is able to get the H1 HID bulb to the right location. If you compare a halogen H1 and an HID H1, the halogen is much shorter.

but the lighting spot is same! the hid bulb's lighting spot is somewhere near the middle, and if you put the halogen and HID together, you can see there lighting spot is the same

Suntzu
14-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Ok instead of trying to settle this subjectively...

Has anyone in a standard euro fitted a decent quality HID kit? And if so do you have comments or Pics or add?

neborama
14-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Ok instead of trying to settle this subjectively...

Has anyone in a standard euro fitted a decent quality HID kit? And if so do you have comments or Pics or add?

Try ask Akina,

He's got a HID Kit from what I remember at the last meet and greet. They looked very OEM as the colour was around 4300K .. thought it was a lux!

akina
14-11-2007, 05:20 PM
I got mine from Mu Secret, they have their own brand.

Their actually 6000K :p ill try and get sum pic up when i get home tonite. I dont have any pics of it shinning at sumthing tho :s

applio
14-11-2007, 08:58 PM
i have never seen an aftermarket HID kit with a focusing screw! every single (ive seen alot!) replacement HID ive ever seen (ie: H4, H1, H3, etc..) has always had the "arc" in a different place the the stock filament... always... doesnt matter whether its a reflector or projector style globe, with the focus point is in a different place to what the housing was designed for you'll get alot of spill and so called "hot spots"

as you can see in the pic below (from my old car) the HID doesnt have the same definition in its pattern, its alot rounder, and theres alot more "glare"
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/diff.jpg

that what it look like on my 323 with projector headlight

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/applio/DSC00516000.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/applio/DSC00491000.jpg

and thats what it looks on a reflector headlight on a camry!

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/applio/DSC00428000.jpg

they should have a clear cut off line in projector headlight, so if on the accord shouldnt be any problem

EuroAccord13
14-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Even with a set of "quality" HID kit installed in a standard Euro's projector lens, there will be a black trapezium in front of the car and two black lines cutting the light off... Me think it's ooogly... Has nothing to do with the HID, it's the lens...

aaronng
14-11-2007, 11:44 PM
I think corn_flakes also had the long black lines coming out from under the headlights. :)

aaronng
14-11-2007, 11:46 PM
but the lighting spot is same! the hid bulb's lighting spot is somewhere near the middle, and if you put the halogen and HID together, you can see there lighting spot is the same

Halogen is a point source at the filament, HIDs are a diffuse source from the entire bulb. It's like comparing a lightbulb to a short fluorescent tube. Both give out different light characteristics too.

^__^ SM ^__^
15-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I also have HID kit and there's 2 long black lines coming out from under the light. Can't see thm from the driver's seat so functionally not a problem but looks bad.

adammet04
15-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a hid kit...had it for about 3 weeks now...my opinions...

good points - hid kits are really good at lighting up the road, excellent for night time driving in country side. if you live in outer burbs / country :)

+++ :)

average points - A black line which is fairly visible outside the car, but not really visibile inside the car or while driviing (very faint line)
The shadow at the front of the car from the hids (easily fixed by foggies)

Meh !

bad points -
how to replace the hid globes? easy to procure? might have to wait a week from ebay etc. cant just buy from the servo if you are in a pinch.
Lets face it, it is Illegal
cut holes in the cover of the headlights for cables to pass through to the ballasts. seal? dust ? crap in the housing now..
Longevity vs proper hids.? or even standard globes?

- - - -

overall :thumbsdown:

The bad points are fairly important to me as i dont have the skills to effectively fix or return my car to stock with this conversion. in the event of an issue arrising with them
hence i will be returning mine to stock soon

My suggestion is that with stuff like this, its probably better to get the car with all the bits you want, rather than mod it...because unless you are good with cars its probably more expensive to do stuff like this this way..

just my opinion

cheers

applio
15-11-2007, 09:05 PM
bad points -
how to replace the hid globes? easy to procure? might have to wait a week from ebay etc. cant just buy from the servo if you are in a pinch.
Lets face it, it is Illegal
cut holes in the cover of the headlights for cables to pass through to the ballasts. seal? dust ? crap in the housing now..
Longevity vs proper hids.? or even standard globes?

i rather worries about the ballast rather than the bulb itself, coz the bulb is hard to blown, but the ballast isn't..... depends where you get it, and what warranty it comes with, so don't buy with oversea seller, you wait for ages for warranty.....

its illegal - ture!! no quesiton about it!

use a propper 22mm hole cutter to drew the hole better and nicer, they should comes with a 22mm plastic hole cover with every hid kit, so it can protect water dust etc to get in the headlight!