PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt EJ8 civic info please!

Diz44zy
11-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Hey peps,

I'm new to the Honda scene, but reading alot and learning fast. Since the defect noticed was slapped on the windscreen of my TA63 celica and was told it needs to be engineered before it hits the road again I decided to retire her for track use only. Which means now i have to look for a new car. I've been looking for a civic for a while now. There is one i have a particular interest in and is advertised on carsales here:

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private/HONDA/CIVIC/details.aspx?__sid=1162AB2A2D62&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_PrivateSpecialFlag_Int32|1||pCar_ImageCo unt_Int32|1||pCar_LastModifiedDate_DateTime|1&State=Tasmania&distance=25&silo=1003&seot=0&__Nne=20&R=1414854&__N=4294965322+84+834+285+257&Make=HONDA&state_id=84&trecs=12

Just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this car since it was in melb prior to Tas. Apparently it was in Hot4's issue #93, i'm guessing that was a while ago. Also a bit confused with model codes i figured it is an EK but EK( ) what? Any general info on what you guys think would be much appreiciated (eg: good buy or not?, performance of this car etc). Also any other civics you know are for sale around the 12k mark in mint condition in melb (keep in mind it need to be street legal and economical)? I'm used to forced induction vehicles so the change should be good.

Laterz.
Diz

Red_EG4
11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
All my research tells me that it is an EJ8 Civic. D16Y8 SOHC VTEC engine.
the Rego expired last month. Also you are looking for cars in Melbourne, but this one is in Tasmania?....

Diz44zy
11-11-2007, 04:12 PM
yeah cheers for that mate. I'm a bit lost with hondas but i'll get the hang of it.

I am looking in Melb but heading down to Tas in a week so would like to check it out and if its any good buy it and catch the boat back.

Really just looking for a nice civic to get me to work and uni that won't get defected. I'm just so sick of paying fines for illegal mods and WRC's etc. Still want a nice car tho without the maintenance issues of a forced induction vehicle.

Red_EG4
11-11-2007, 06:24 PM
It looks nice. A test drive would give you a much greater indication of it's condition. I'm wondering if the engine rebuild was to install the forged pistons etc or if there is another reason for the rebuild. Other members will be able to tell you greater details about this model.

Diz44zy
11-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Yeah was wondering that myself. I spoke to the seller briefly and asked him to send the specs on the build and the VIN# about 5 days ago but haven't received an e-mail as yet. Also asked for the contact number of the shop that did the build to find out exactly why it was rebuilt etc but as i said the seller hasn't sent me this info yet. Also sent him an SMS reminding him and got the reply that he had been real busy with work and he will send me more info as soon as he can.

I've only eva bought 2 cars in my life; both from my dad so I don't know much about buying cars. I've been reading up on what to do when buying a car. I wanna get the VIN# to get REVs check first, if thats all good check it out in person, test drive and then finally take it to a mechanic for a proper check up. However, the lack of enthusiasm of the seller has me worried.

Is this behaviour normal?

jay_vtec
11-11-2007, 09:48 PM
i dont think it is normal, if he wants to sell the car he will be getting back to you ASAP, he really must not be that keen to get rid of it or he is true to his words and is really busy lol its just one of those things, everyone goes through em when buying a car, you mite get a good seller and sometimes u wont

I.E i bought my EG8 of sum old guy i thought was reasonable but u kno turned out the wheels were ****ed and i told him and he gave me $700 to fix them sometimes u get good ones sometimes u dont

anyways

that prob didnt help too much but one thing i can say is if u do go over to tassie and have a look try and get a perspective at what to look at on the car, (oil Leaks, oil colour, scratches, dents, turn it on let is idle for abit see if it makes any funny noises, see if it start correctly ( if it takes a while to start may be spark plugs r ****ed or hasnt been started in a while)

anyways just a couple of pointer i could give hope it helps in anyway

good luck!

Diz44zy
11-11-2007, 10:28 PM
Guess i'll just wait a couple of days and give him the benefit of doubt. He's had all weekend tho, no one can be that busy right.

Is 12.5K a good price for what it is? I had a look at the market value of the model and it was about 1.5K dearer than that but it had rims, body kit, real low K's compared to the standard. Also the interior appear in good nick, the build as well a few extras.

Diz44zy
13-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

The seller finally got back to me. The engine was rebuilt as a result of pistion failure. Here is the reciepts for the build can you tell me what you think. Worth buying or not.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/diz44zy/CCF13112007_00000.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/diz44zy/CCF13112007_00001.jpg

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa173/diz44zy/CCF13112007_00002.jpg

Any info on what you guys think would be good.

hondavti25
13-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey man i own a ej8 and although there a SOHC VTEC there fantastic car to drive for what they are i havnt had one person complain about driving mine. There Reliable look awesome and there not as common as the hatchs and sedan models So if your not a major honda boy i wouldnt worry about the SOHC VTEC thing :P. That ones fairly cheap compared to what i paid and its already worked more then the average NA D series. Id say go for it unless you can find a VTIR integra or civic around.
GL

Diz44zy
13-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Cheers, Just wanted to know if there are any cons with buying a rebuilt engine. Anything i should be looking for incase it wasn't run in properly. Quality of the build etc as specified in the reciepts.

Diz44zy
13-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I've been having trouble opening the link to the receipts on the build. This is what it reads.

1) Parts and materials used

- Premium syn oil
- piston ring set
- full gasket set
- thrust washer/crank
- .50mm big end bearings
- .25mm main bearings
- cylinder head bolt kit (genuine)
- sub let dismantle rocker gear from head, vacuum test valves, dismantle springs, remove and replace valve stem seals, reassemble springs, surface grind sub let grind crankshaft
- resize 1 conrod, check and linish 3 conrods, align rods and pistons, chemically clean and wash block and all engine components
- hone four bores/check clearences
- three bond genuine sealant x1
- oil filter
- genuine oil filter assy
- wyns gear oil supplement
- sparks plugs NGK
- knock sensor assy genuine
- timing belt genuine
- oil seals genuine x3
- power steering and alt belt
- tyres x4 fitted and balanced
- whell alignment - front and rear
- remove engine and disassemble
refit engine/gearbox assy
- assemble engine

2)Details of work

- attend to engine noise (suspected piston failure)
- removed cylinder head assy - found no.1 piston hitting cylinder head (bearing failure)
- remove engine sump and found crank pin failure (spun bearing)
- removed engine and dismantled
- sourced new engine components for engine to be rebuilt
- send engine components out for reconditioning and repair
- checked cylinder head for wear and fit new valve stem seals and surface grinding and cleaning up
- grind crankshaft to resize damaged crank journals
- repair and resize conrods
- check cylinder block wear already at maximum size - supply new 1mm oversized pistons and rings in high performance quality
- check block deck
- chemically cleaned engine block and components
- cleaned engine items ready to be assembled
- measured crank thrust, deck height, big end bearing clearance, fitted crankshaft to block and tensioned bearings
- check ring gap clearances and adjust
- fitted rings to pistons and pitted pistons to engine
- tensioned big end bearings
- assembled oil pump and fitted to engine
- fitted oil pick up and sump
- assembled rocker gear to cylinder head
- fitted cylinder head to engine
- fitted cam and crank gears, tensioner and cam belt to engine
- timed cam belt
- set clearances on all 16 valves
- fitted rocker cover
- fitted cam covers
- fitted spark plugs
- fitted inlet and exhaust mainfolds
- fitted oil pressure sender and knock sensor (found to be cracked)
replaced knock sensor
- fitted water pump and crank pulley
- refitted engine and clutch/flywheel
- refitted gearbox
- refit all mounts
- connect ancilliary components and refill coolant
- fill engine with oil
- crank engine until oil pressure obtained
- start engine and run to normalise all engine temp parameters
- check engine fluid levels and top up as required
- check ignition timing settings and mixtures on dynamometer
- road test vehicle

Is there anything i should specifically ask the mechanic who did this build?
What are important issue to consider when buying a rebuilt engine? (questions to ask owner etc)

Cheers,
Diz

Diz44zy
14-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Got an update on this;

Spoke to the seller today. He insists the reason piston failure occurred coz the previous owner thrashed it but since then it has been fully rebuilt. His reason for sale was coz he has a company car and is looking to upgrade his w/e driver. This is also the reason the car has only done 6000km since the rebuild 2 years ago. I will be checking it out sometime next week. Cheers help.

Red_EG4
14-11-2007, 08:33 PM
In my opinion it looks ok. When you go have a look you will find out for sure.
There is reciepts for all the work and if I were looking for a new car this one looks pretty great. If it's the kinda thing your looking for I don't think you will go wrong, as long as it passes your check.
Good luck with it and I hope it is all good.

Limo
15-11-2007, 01:57 PM
looks pretty mint all round. better of going there to check it out in person tho. but if you rather a ej8 with a b16a in melb let me know.

Diz44zy
03-12-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey,
Got question about this car again. i will be looking at it this wed. The owner told me it had an electronic fuel control unit, what does this actually mean and will this affect the legality of the car in Vic? It has an enlarged throttle bottom and aftermarket fuel rail and regulator.

Any help would be nice.

Cheers

kraiye
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
- check cylinder block wear already at maximum size

this says to me it been thrashed or not serviced properly. 80000k and already fully worn!
wouldn't worry too much though with full rebuild done, prolly just wont be able to do it again lol. d-series engines can be found reasonable cheap.

- repair and resize conrods... how do you repair a conrod? maybe replace them... with forged ;)

it's a dam nice looking EJ8 though, at a good price too with all the work done.

kraiye
06-12-2007, 10:15 AM
what needs to be done for re-rego though?
otherwise pretty cheap i guess

Diz44zy
09-12-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey,

Just an update. I have purchased the civic, talk to seller down to 11K, which leave about 5K in the bank to get her on the road and other bits and pieces. Anyway i got the car on the spirit and shipped back today, drove like a dream for the 300km trek from Hobart to Devonport then 100+ to work in Carrum Downs then back home. The seller was nice enough to let me use to Tassie plates until i can get the road worthy and also had the front bumper repair and resprayed for all the scratches. This things turns heads like no tomorrow, on the way home one guy was starring at my car the freeway and nearly swerved into me :s

Here's what i know needs to be fixed:

1) The muffler is burnt out and it has not cat, so i will be taking it to the exhaust shop tomorrow to sort that out.

2) There a rattle coming from the aftermarket throttle body. It sounds like plastic hitting metal. I will be having a look at this tomorrow morning.

3) Its sitting pretty low, which appears illegal so will have to adjust the suspension accordingly.

4) ABS light stays illuminated. I rang Honda about this and they said most likely cause is that a fuse has blown max cost $40. But then again, modules for ABS i like $1500 so hopefully no biggie on that one.

5) SRS airbag light does not illuminate upon ignition. Also asked Honda about this, response was it will need to be serviced and repaired as required, any where up to $400.

6) Grease is escaping from split inner CV joint boot (not to sure about this, if anyone knows anything about it info would be great???)

7) Front splash are missing due to 18in Rims. I will be modifying some other splash panels to suit with no rubbing.

8) Stereo cuts in and out occasionally over bumps. Not a major issue as i have a $3000 Sound Stream system ready to be installed, but this will be last.

9) Creeking coming from rear left suspension, possible spring but unsure and will source the problem.

I Had the engine compression tested and that was all good, Also had the alternator tested and that was good as well. Sparking fine aswell.

It also has a electronic fuel control unit in the cockpit which i am unsure of the legality hopefully tomorrow I will have solved this.

Cheers,
Diz

steve88
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
the stereo cutting in is probably due to a dry joint. you got a pic of the car?

Diz44zy
10-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I managed to solve the stereo problem. The power supply to the amp wasn't wired up correctly and was loose. Fixed that up and works a treat now.

Just been at the exhaust shop. i am having a high flowed cat fit and muffler that isn't to loud but does not restrict flow either. The guy said he could quite it down to meet standards using motor bike muffler technology.