PDA

View Full Version : rear shakes when accelerating passed 60-help anyone?

notahonda
11-11-2007, 02:50 PM
hi i hope someone can help me with this issue, i changed my shocks and springs today and now my rear shakes when i accelerate passed 60. i've checked the springs to make sure they they are sitting properly and that the wheels are screwed on tightly twice. does anyone know wat else could be causing this shake that didnt seem to happen before i lowered the car?

Vuey
11-11-2007, 06:14 PM
by shake do you mean Vibration ? if so ,sounds like your CV's are shot .

you got 2 options , you can either swap your CV's around or alternatively get new CV's for about $600-800 .

Give me more detials , i might be able to help you out.

.::F[L]Y::.
11-11-2007, 07:29 PM
common problem with these cars once you lower the car. How many kms has the car done? IF it is the CV's would be about 50-100 bucks to get them swapped over.

notahonda
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
yeah the rear begins to vibrate quite a bit once u accelerate pass 60....
if it is the CVs why would it be shot straight after i lower the car?
could it be the shocks are blown? would blown shocks cause the car to vibrate after a certain speed?

BRU51N
11-11-2007, 11:35 PM
could it be the shocks are blown? would blown shocks cause the car to vibrate after a certain speed?

say if your car was previously slammed the shafts would be bent like a M shape (if you can picture it from the rear), and it may have been reverted back to stock form when sold, the wear-age of the cv's wouldve been done when it was slammed. when its back to stock ride height the shafts are straight and they wouldnt create any sort of vibration.

shouldve checked to see if the strut top bolts have been taken off before or not, it may have given u an indication of if the suspensions been changed before.

Vuey
12-11-2007, 07:01 AM

dont over speculate about the shocks . From your description, its a CV problem . The CV housing is worn out , you can swap them or raise the car back up . I had it done to my 99 S2k . Its a 15min job , worst case you will need to replace the CV's . Take it to Hanny's , most places will insist on changing your CV's.

check out what needs to be swapped.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/vuey/sus3.jpg

DNTBLO_S2k
12-11-2007, 07:47 AM
hey i lowered my car to and as soon as doing it it shakes real bad when i put my foot down but sometimes it dosnt do it when i give it hard or just cruising.
so will it help if they are swapped around? but will come back after a while? can i cause damage to anything if i leave it?

Vuey
12-11-2007, 09:03 AM
hey i lowered my car to and as soon as doing it it shakes real bad when i put my foot down but sometimes it dosnt do it when i give it hard or just cruising.
so will it help if they are swapped around? but will come back after a while? can i cause damage to anything if i leave it?

the swap is only a temporary solution . a mate of mine swapped his and the vibration has returned after 6months. As for causing damage , it will continue to get worst to the point it is unbearable to drive .

Best to raise the rear of the car to avoid this problem .

DNTBLO_S2k
12-11-2007, 09:51 AM
hey vuey who changed yours arounf for you? thanks mate

Vuey
12-11-2007, 10:11 AM
hey vuey who changed yours arounf for you? thanks mate

if your located in Sydney , take it to Hanny's at Smithfield , 15min job , ask for Peter . He'll charge about $100 for the swap .

WhiteAP1
12-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah Vueys spot on as always. A tell tail sign of the CVs starting to go is a clicking noise at low speeds, especially while ure turning (have a listen next time you turn into a car spot.) Change em before u destroy your diff hubs.

zero33
12-11-2007, 02:10 PM
i'm probably off track but mine did the same.. and i realised one side was cambered more then the other... re-adjusted it and its both ok now..

but then again i haven't been driving it for a while need to get a full wheel alignment + hub rings coz my wheels don't fit properly..

DNTBLO_S2k
12-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Yeah Vueys spot on as always. A tell tail sign of the CVs starting to go is a clicking noise at low speeds, especially while ure turning (have a listen next time you turn into a car spot.) Change em before u destroy your diff hubs.

YEH I GET A CLICKINGISH NOISE WHEN I TAKE OF OR CHANGE GEARS SOMETIMES IT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHINGS CRACKING BUT ITS NOT THAT LOUD.
ANYONE KNOW WHERE OR WO CAN SWAP MINE AROUND?

WhiteAP1
12-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Well where are you located? Its not a very technical job,i mean Honda could do it for you. But like Vuey said, swapping them will probably only buy you some time. Get it checked out, find out how worn they are and take it from there. Any suspension place should take be able to care of it, your call if you let them.

Have a read of this thread, its a bit lengthy but it will help you understand why the cars click, and what wears down.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39249&st=0

BlitZ
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
hehehe i swapped the suspension in.. I directed the swap.. i knew it was done well... damn s2ks

WhiteAP1
13-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Thats great, how bout in english next time.....

DNTBLO_S2k
13-11-2007, 07:31 AM
hey thanks for your help whiteap1

notahonda
13-11-2007, 03:54 PM
i just rang hannys .. im not sure who i spoke to and he said i need to swap the driveshafts around ... left to right and right to left... he quoted me 150... i told him i just wanted to swap the CVs and he said its a common problem after you lower the car that you need to swap the driveshafts and its not the CVs. He said the earliest they could do it is next week... does this round right? should i just bring my car in anyway and see if they can do it on the spot if it is really a 15 min job to change the CVs?

.::F[L]Y::.
13-11-2007, 03:56 PM
theres a DIY on this over at s2ki.com

if your good with tools and know how to pull out driveshafts then this should be an easy swap.

Vuey
15-11-2007, 01:56 PM
i just rang hannys .. im not sure who i spoke to and he said i need to swap the driveshafts around ... left to right and right to left... he quoted me 150... i told him i just wanted to swap the CVs and he said its a common problem after you lower the car that you need to swap the driveshafts and its not the CVs. He said the earliest they could do it is next week... does this round right? should i just bring my car in anyway and see if they can do it on the spot if it is really a 15 min job to change the CVs?

this is what is required to be swapped (pic 3) , its the CV housing - in effect it is the drive shafts that they are attached too .

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/vuey/sus1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/vuey/sus2.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/vuey/sus3.jpg

notahonda
15-11-2007, 04:50 PM
yeah hopefully i can get it done this weekend if not ... im just going to take it to hannys and get them to do it....

notahonda
27-11-2007, 03:00 PM
went to hannys and he switched the rear CVs and now its running alot better....

NVD52K
29-11-2007, 08:25 PM
i have the same problem in my car although i feel the whole vibration on my seat the pedal and everything rattles and vibrates as i accelerate my s2k has done more then 100,000 k could switching the cv's at hannys stop the problem or could it be my clutch?

notahonda
09-12-2007, 11:02 PM
i dont see how that could be your clutch... though i could be wrong.... but i reckon switching the cvs would be worth a shot... its only 150... hehe

DNTBLO_S2k
10-12-2007, 07:30 AM
i swapped mine at hannys aswell was really bad before iven my pillars and doors shaked.
car runs like brand new again.

Perry
10-12-2007, 04:24 PM
i swapped mine at hannys aswell was really bad before iven my pillars and doors shaked.
car runs like brand new again.

Hey dude were u there like a week ago getting the CV's changed at hanny's when there was a white s2k there aswell?

NVD52K
10-12-2007, 09:34 PM
i just did mine aswell at hannys when i got it back it was like brand new again !!! only cost $ 150

DNTBLO_S2k
11-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Hey dude were u there like a week ago getting the CV's changed at hanny's when there was a white s2k there aswell?

hey yeh that was me, was that you in the white s2k?

NVD52K
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
hey were u driving in parramatta last thursday night ? duno if it was your car though i remember blue walls around your rims

DNTBLO_S2k
12-12-2007, 07:22 AM
hey were u driving in parramatta last thursday night ? duno if it was your car though i remember blue walls around your rims

yeh that was me mate. u were in the black one right?

Perry
12-12-2007, 08:24 AM
hey yeh that was me, was that you in the white s2k?
Yeah dude it was me :wave:

NVD52K
12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
yeah it was me the one with the loud system in front

NVD52K
12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
yeah it was me the one with the loud system in front