PDA

View Full Version : MAP sensor problem

02gzm
12-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I've thought my car was running a little poor today and after a while of driving i noticed the car started to jerk a little bit then went back to normal (reving normally through 2nd or third, cant remember). I got to a set of lights and the revs dropped to below 500 rpm then stalled after a few seconds. Turned it over again and the CEL light came on and the car went into limp mode so i pulled over and checked what the problem was and it gave me code 3 (MAP sensor).

The car triggered the map sensor code about a month or 2 ago when i tried to start it. It sounded like the car was running on 3 cylinders so i checked the spark plug leads at the dizzy and one of them was loose. Plugged it back in properly and everything was sweet.

From what i've read so far i'm guessing the problem is either the distributer, spark plugs or leads?

The car runs fine in limp mode (as fine as limp mode gets).
Even doing a rolling clutch start the engine turns over, the idle drops really low then it goes into limp mode again. I reset the ECU and checked the spark plug leads but the problem persists.
Anyone able to comment or give me any advice? I'm taking it to my mechanic tomorrow too since today is sunday.

EDIT- oh the car has had a B16A transplant and a chipped OBD1 ECU if that helps too

jdmTYPE R
12-11-2007, 10:06 AM
sounds like a map senser, it wont do it all the time just wenever it feels like it..just gets worse and worse later on..

02gzm
12-11-2007, 01:12 PM
hmm ok i checked the sensor this morning to make sure it wasnt loose.
The idle intake valve was clean too. Started it up and it worked without a problem.
If its what you say jdmTYPE R then yea its probably just playing up whenever it wants to.
I checked the code again and the o2 sensor was showing as problematic too. I also have noticed that ive only been getting 320-350km out of a tank lately too. Would this most likely be due to sensors dying? I topped up the fuel thinking it may have contributed to the problem too (bad fuel or something). I felt like car was running a little poor still but after a while it was running fine again. I took it to my mechanic and he's gonna check out the cabling and sensors in a few days. Will post when i find out whats going on.

02gzm
12-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Oh also i'm gonna clean out the intake when this rain finally pisses off, but do you think it may be a good idea to get the car retuned some time soon to get it working at it's peak? I think maybe it's running a little rich as it "gargles" (that little poppoppoppop sound) when rolling down through 2nd/3rd every once in a while.
I always figured this was normal as the car has had the intake, headers, full exhaust, forgies and chip done

ECU-MAN
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
this is how you check the MAP sensor. (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67230)

if you cant do it have someone who can check it for you. It may not be your MAP, could be wiring ect.

do you have a VAFC ??

02gzm
12-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Im unsure on the chip in the ECU. No digital output box though. The car came with it and the previous owner was unsure on what it was too so i'll have to find out. He did tell me that the VTEC crossover point was changed though. My mechanic is gonna check the MAP sensor out for me on wednesday. Ive already pointed out the thread u linked to him too incase he had problems ;)

I kinda figured it might have been the wiring as i'm pretty sure the plugs were changed last service. I'm hoping it's just something kinda simple like the MAP sensor or wiring as i just spent a heap of dosh on new tyres. It hasn't played up today so far... touch wood..