PDA

View Full Version : Euro make a loude "horn" like noise?

Sushi09
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi all, especially to those that owns a Euro.

I have a 2004 model and I am getting a loud almost "HORN" like noise. I don't know where it is coming from or how it came to be, but it is so annoying. It isn't anything that happens when something happens, it is so random that I can't pinpoint the cause.

At first it happened when the car was stationed, but we've also noticed it happening while the car is in motion but mostly at low speed. Someone told me that it could be the Compressor for the Air Condition, but I find that hard to believe.

Any suggestions or experience with this? Its a 2004, Tip-tronic.

ECU-MAN
12-11-2007, 03:20 PM
moved

Sushi09
12-11-2007, 03:25 PM
moved

What do you mean "moved"........

johnprocter
12-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I get that too whenever i have airconditioning on.. whenever i take it to warranty they cant seem to find the problem..

tron07
12-11-2007, 03:41 PM
If it a belt whining type of noise, then fan or aircond belt problem...

Brake squealing type of noise, brake problem.

If its horn activiting by itself, probably eletrical or the horn switch faulty.

Sushi09
12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
If it a belt whining type of noise, then fan or aircond belt problem...

Brake squealing type of noise, brake problem.

If its horn activiting by itself, probably eletrical or the horn switch faulty.

Sounds like option 1, but I'm surprised that HONDA themselves can't understand where or why its hapenning.

tron07
12-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Sounds like option 1, but I'm surprised that HONDA themselves can't understand where or why its hapenning.

Does it only happen in the morning (cold engine) or when the car is hot?? could be belt is loose or tight, and when you reach the dealer, it doesnt happen anymore cause the belt expended due to the heat?

Sushi09
12-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Does it only happen in the morning (cold engine) or when the car is hot?? could be belt is loose or tight, and when you reach the dealer, it doesnt happen anymore cause the belt expended due to the heat?

Now that you mentioned it, I might try taking notes when it happens. I'm sure it happens from a cold engine.

Its gotta be, yesterday I started the car, reversed out the drive way (~15m) and waited there about 7 min and it made one "cry". I drive for about another 2 Km and it done it again whilst I was at the Service Station. Funny thing is that at times it would still do it while the car is in motion???

aaronng
12-11-2007, 04:43 PM
NONONONONO... It is the A/C expansion valve. Get it replaced if you are lucky to still have warranty remaining.

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40178&page=1&pp=25

Sushi09
12-11-2007, 04:44 PM
NONONONONO... It is the A/C expansion valve.

If so, what is the cause and what do I need to do to fix it? Obviously I will need to take it to a Auto Electrician, but will it be a big job $$$

EuroDude
12-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Is it an Auto or Manual?

If its a manual, is it a "whooo" noise when riding the clutch?

That is a common issue and Honda will fix it under warranty.
Apparently its a problem with the Spigget Bearing, and they sometimes just replace the clutch side of the gearbox (not the clutch itself though).

johnprocter
12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
NONONONONO... It is the A/C expansion valve. Get it replaced if you are lucky to still have warranty remaining.

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40178&page=1&pp=25

thank you good sir repped ;>

aaronng
12-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Is it an Auto or Manual?

Apparently its a problem with the Spigget Bearing, and they sometimes just replace the clutch side of the gearbox (not the clutch itself though).

His is an auto. The spigot bearing is NOT a Honda problem. It's a driver problem. It happens when you tend to hold the clutch down at the lights, or if the driver likes to rev the engine when the clutch is pressed down.

aaronng
12-11-2007, 05:34 PM
If so, what is the cause and what do I need to do to fix it? Obviously I will need to take it to a Auto Electrician, but will it be a big job $$$

It's not an electrical problem. It's an aircon component problem.

BiLL|z0r
13-11-2007, 07:12 AM
I have this same noise too (see there's a siren in my car thread). It went away for a while but then I realised that's because it was winter and had the air con on much less.
It's started doing again now it's warmer again. Now I know what causes it I'll get it replaced at my 50K service due in 2 weeks. Thanks guys.

tron07
13-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Interesting... so is it a "WHOOOOOP" sound as mention in the TSX forum?

Sushi09
13-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Is it an Auto or Manual?

Its TIP-TRONIC, would it make any difference

aaronng
13-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Its TIP-TRONIC, would it make any difference

Yours is an auto with tiptronic features.

Sushi09
13-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Yours is an auto with tiptronic features.

Yep mine is, I also got a Integra 4 door, but that'll be a different Thread for another day.

I have a Auto-Electrician friend whom I could ask to order the product and we can install it ourselves, I seem to have this fear that the workshop will make other problems as warranty is due to expire. So I prefer to do it myself unless it's a difficult job.

At least I do have access to a Mechanical Workshop with all the tools, I can do it as a weekend thing.

dwn_boi
13-11-2007, 11:13 AM
maybe its your power steering pump?

does it happen when you turn at all? i have the same problem, sounds like a deep horn everytime i turn the wheel

aaronng
13-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Yep mine is, I also got a Integra 4 door, but that'll be a different Thread for another day.

I have a Auto-Electrician friend whom I could ask to order the product and we can install it ourselves, I seem to have this fear that the workshop will make other problems as warranty is due to expire. So I prefer to do it myself unless it's a difficult job.

At least I do have access to a Mechanical Workshop with all the tools, I can do it as a weekend thing.
I wouldn't do it at home. You'll be releasing all of your refridgerant into the atmosphere. :thumbdwn:

BiLL|z0r
13-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Interesting... so is it a "WHOOOOOP" sound as mention in the TSX forum?

Yes. Well mine is.

flipmods
18-11-2007, 07:31 PM
My mate has that noise too. I checked it out but still makes the noise when AC is off.

BiLL|z0r
19-11-2007, 05:48 AM
For people with this noise does it sometimes cause a vibration through the foot pedels when it occurs? Mine does and confirming it's the same as others.

Sushi09
19-11-2007, 12:08 PM
For people with this noise does it sometimes cause a vibration through the foot pedels when it occurs? Mine does and confirming it's the same as others.

Yea, mine does abit too. So assuming this is a defect of the vehicle, why can't Honda to a recall and have a solution???

From the response of everyone, it seems this is a common problem, and it isn't by anyway the fault of the owner/driver.

aaronng
19-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Yea, mine does abit too. So assuming this is a defect of the vehicle, why can't Honda to a recall and have a solution???

From the response of everyone, it seems this is a common problem, and it isn't by anyway the fault of the owner/driver.

It is not a safety issue, that's why there isn't a recall. Also, it doesn't happen to all Euros/Hondas.

Sushi09
19-11-2007, 12:27 PM
It is not a safety issue, that's why there isn't a recall. Also, it doesn't happen to all Euros/Hondas.

I guess so, but even reading threads for the US version (TSX) they also are talking of this issue.

What are the chances of fixing this and the problem arises again?

aaronng
19-11-2007, 05:23 PM
I guess so, but even reading threads for the US version (TSX) they also are talking of this issue.

What are the chances of fixing this and the problem arises again?

People only post up when they have problems. People without problems don't post. So the complaints that you are hearing are very few compared to the total number of owners on the forum. :)

flipmods
25-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Found the noise. It was a tight bearing in the water pump. Gave the same sort of horn noise every now and then even with the AC off so I was guessing it wasn't the AC expansion valve, also made the car idle kind of funny.
Easy to check, belt takes 2 minutes to remove and then turn the water pump wheel to see if it is hard to turn by hand or if it doesn't feel smooth.

stalin
25-11-2007, 01:06 PM
well i have the same noise problem from my car too..lol i thought i was the only one,i've had 2 euros and the one i just bought has only 48k 04 and its happened 4-5 times already, when it was a hot day, air con on, and the noise is the most annoying thing i've ever heard even though it lasts for a second it pisses me off:)) its been about 3 weeks and hasn't happened yet so its ok now but then again it hasn't been that hot and havn't used the air con much..

stalin
25-11-2007, 01:25 PM
reading the tsx forum im assuming that its been strongly agreed that it is the "expansion valve"?? im sure that warranty is finished so how much would it cost to get it fixed, i cant believe that euro would have this kind of problem, i would understand if daewoo or kia but honda euro??

p.s any of you guys know where i can buy front brake pads from? i was quoted 100$ for the front 2 but not sure what brand it is, does it matter? the guy told me bendix is the worse pads..is it true?

cutchorama
25-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I had a similar issue, not sure if it was the same. I had a loud noise come from the rear of my car when I was stuck in traffic coming home from work. Took it to the dealer and apparently they found it was the TX valve to do with aircon. I got mine replaced under warranty. Hasn't happened since.

johnprocter
25-11-2007, 02:46 PM
iam taking my euro in for service soon and have the same problem what should i tell them to fix?

Entity
26-11-2007, 01:46 AM
does it happen at low speed and when ur trying to turn the car full lock?

coz that could just be the power steering whine

aaronng
26-11-2007, 07:26 AM
p.s any of you guys know where i can buy front brake pads from? i was quoted 100$ for the front 2 but not sure what brand it is, does it matter? the guy told me bendix is the worse pads..is it true?
$100 for fronts are ok. Bendix are not the worst. There are worse ones out there. Bendix or Ferodo low end models can be cheaper but you lose initial bite. The higher end models bite harder but you get more dusting or increased wear on the rotors and noise.

Min988
06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Hmm I just realised tonight that I am too getting the same noise, my car has just come out of warranty and I didn't decide to extend it, approx. how much would I be looking at to replace the AC expansion valve?