PDA

View Full Version : Engine blowing out carbon on high revs?

andiiso
12-11-2007, 10:46 PM
im getting carbon comming out from my eg5 on high revs say between 4-7k my bar gets dirty again from carbon blowing out every time

im thinking if it would be my engine running too rich?

does it need a tune?

would be much appretiate for opinions

thanks
andiiso

EG5
12-11-2007, 10:47 PM
are you sure its carbon or oil ?

Spunkymonkey
13-11-2007, 07:25 AM
your referring to the soot on your bumper? probably running rich...hehehe mine is and getting tuned soon. Also I find optimax burns pretty dirty, so I am back to using bp ultimate if there is any left at the servo...tends to go quickly lol

andiiso
13-11-2007, 08:55 AM
im pretty sure its carbon... and yea the blackstuff that gets on my bumber... lol

any idea wheres a good place to tune it around melb?

Paul1985
13-11-2007, 05:55 PM
i dont think its from running rich.
you get excess hydrocarbons come out of your exhaust when your running rich but its not a black soot, you wont really notice it without a backprobe in the exhaust.. Im not saying your not running rich, but i dont think the soot is from running rich. My guess is your burning oil and its built up in your exhaust and when you get enough flow through the exhaust.. i.e. revving the engine up a bit.. it is blowing the soot (oil) out of the pipe.

My g/f's excel does this same thing and she burns through her oil like theres no tomorrow. Im forever topping it up.

Have you checked your oil recently? Check your dipstick if you havent and see if its getting low.

dsp26
13-11-2007, 06:15 PM
easy to test for oil... if the 'soot' is thick... get 80gsm paper or less and pipe some with it... see if you get the oil spread. knock that off your list first then think of the tune... could also be dead O2 sensor

NightKids
13-11-2007, 07:12 PM
This happens to me as well, but i leave a trail of black smoke

michael_antoi
13-11-2007, 07:48 PM
White smoke = water
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel

In general

andiiso
13-11-2007, 08:35 PM
alright ill try out the paper thing but can u elaborate on it .. no idea what 80gsm is.. ahaha

and i dont think its running low on oil since i just got a minor service last week.

but thanks for all the replys
andiiso

mrwillz
13-11-2007, 08:37 PM
80gsm is the type of white a4 paper, it will say on the ream packaging.
hope that helps

dsp26
13-11-2007, 08:41 PM
alright ill try out the paper thing but can u elaborate on it .. no idea what 80gsm is.. ahaha

and i dont think its running low on oil since i just got a minor service last week.

but thanks for all the replys
andiiso

ya as stated by mrwillz.. its your standard rough printer paper.

because it will be trace oil amounts if there are, your going to have to get a bit and let it sit... don't rub so hard that you damaged your paint but i highly doubt it unless there was sand/dust stuck on it.

HOWEVER, i do believe you will get oil especially if you rev your engine to the **** often... you'll get it as a result of blow-by, BUT, it will be almost undetectable in the exhaust/soot unless your rings are that mcfried

if presence of oil is clear then get a dyno run... will tell you if you need a tune or a new O2 sensor. my rule of thumb is always do the free/cheapest/easiest checks and fixes first before spending money on parts or professional diagnosis... the latter is an important first step though with any major problems

Limbo
13-11-2007, 09:35 PM
if you don't drive on the freeway much or take long drives the carbon builds up and when you rev hard it blows out the carbon. Its generally quite normal, especially when vtecing

SeverAMV
16-11-2007, 04:30 AM
if you don't drive on the freeway much or take long drives the carbon builds up and when you rev hard it blows out the carbon. Its generally quite normal, especially when vtecing

not really, when you're vtecing, you're letting in more fuel AND air, so it shouldnt produce any more carbon residue than is normal (unless your intake bottoms out).

if you're sure its soot, then you're either running rich or you have a dead cylinder. if there is not enough oxygen going into the combustion chamber then the fuel wont be able to full combust and will only half combust into carbon residue, or carbon monoxide, at which point i would suggest get it fixed before you poison us all.

dsp26
16-11-2007, 07:38 AM
All vtec motors run rich from factory on high cam so black smoke is normal... it's coz they know drivers will fang the shit out of them and running them richer than neccesary will just prevent some early warranty/recalls

***EDIT***
actually most cars run rich at high rpm for that exact reason... a lot of stock dynos show that in A/F

not really, when you're vtecing, you're letting in more fuel AND air, so it shouldnt produce any more carbon residue than is normal (unless your intake bottoms out).

andiiso
16-11-2007, 03:27 PM

if you're sure its soot, then you're either running rich or you have a dead cylinder. if there is not enough oxygen going into the combustion chamber then the fuel wont be able to full combust and will only half combust into carbon residue, or carbon monoxide, at which point i would suggest get it fixed before you poison us all.

well, we did compression test and pulled 165 on all cylinders except third which gave a 150 .. which i reckon is quite low (i think for honda in general should be around 175-180 mark ?) could this result on compression test be some cause of it ?

Paul1985
16-11-2007, 03:31 PM
Prob a valve seat issue on that cylinder.

mrwillz
16-11-2007, 06:15 PM
well, we did compression test and pulled 165 on all cylinders except third which gave a 150 .. which i reckon is quite low (i think for honda in general should be around 175-180 mark ?) could this result on compression test be some cause of it ?

isnt is at least 200 or more is good.

yourfather
16-11-2007, 06:19 PM
200+ is good

andiiso
16-11-2007, 06:26 PM
yea 200+ is good but 180 for a 92-95 is probably considered quite good, thats what my friend said anyway and hes a honda tech, but he said if i wanna be completly accurate and know exactly what it should be at ill havta go through those books we have stored in the tools room lolz (i cbb)

kingyy
18-11-2007, 09:11 PM
also if it was running rich ur car would be chewing through more fuel...

and it was be blowing white smoke at idel...

yourfather
18-11-2007, 10:03 PM
white smoke at idle could just mean it is cold or there is condensation in the piping

aaronng
18-11-2007, 10:31 PM

No, the fuel maps are dependent on throttle position, intake temperature and RPM. So it is set to run richer at high RPM and full throttle than it is at middle RPM and full throttle.

SeverAMV
19-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Sorry but your are incorrect yet again Limbo is correct. Carbon and other unburnt particles from incomplete combustion build up over time inside the combustion chamber and on valve stems with low RPM use. When a heavy load occurs these deposits are removed by the rapidly moving fuel/air mixture and exit through the exhaust system and end up on the rear of the vehicle.

hence i said it wouldnt be blowing out any more black smoke than is normal.

@kingyy- white smoke is normally water vapour, which is produced from complete combustion, so there isnt really anything wrong with it if your fuel map is right.

if it really bothers him, he could always get a piggyback and lean it out a little more at the top end, or just chip it and get it tuned.