PDA

View Full Version : OIl Pressure

Riced_Civic
14-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi

i was driving for the past 2days and ive noticed that my pressure if going up and down when accelerating but when im at constant speed it normal and just sits at normal.

is there sumthing wrong with my guage or my sensor?

could it be that my oil is getting hot and thining out so my pressure goes down?

when i went to get my car fixed it started to happen could it be possible that the mechanics knocked sumthing like the sensor or wire?

also my pressure is about .5 to 1gk lower than usual when driving,
idle at .9kg and constant at 3.5 to 4.5kg
im getting a oil cooler fittin in soon with that fix it?

thanx

Riced_Civic
15-11-2007, 06:13 AM
anybody have any ideas?

Limbo
15-11-2007, 10:10 PM
i think you've got the sensor wired the wrong way round.
It should be at about 30PSI when idle (at warm alittle higher at cold) and go up to about 75-80PSI at full throttle.

Riced_Civic
16-11-2007, 06:02 AM
yeah its does go up when full throttle.
every thing u said it does.
its just that when the cars in operation the needle jumps around and doesnt move smoothly like it use 2 when accelerating and now its a couple of psi down than normal.

this started to happen when i got it back from my mechanic and they only thing they did was change brake rotors nothing else

Limbo
16-11-2007, 08:40 AM
sounds werid. Check oil levels and check for any leaks.
Other than that do a oil change with filter. That may fix your issues, but can't be 100% sure.

Also check the connectors of the gauge & earthing of car

AzKik-R
16-11-2007, 10:12 PM
I think I read somewhere that the oil pressures will change, hmm, i think it was about those buddy club v-tec killer cams, so minimize oil pressure fluctuations??? maybe someone else knows more?

fatboyz39
16-11-2007, 11:30 PM
He's talking about kg not PSI.

Look at the manual and check out the specs. Sounds about right to me.

e240
17-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Did you just mount your guage?

Oil pressure at idle will drop as the oil heats up.
Oil pressure will increase as you accelerate (or the higher up the rev range), thats because the oil pump is driven by the crank, so obviously as the crank speeds up, the oil pump speed increases leading to higher pressures.

As fatboyz says, it does sound about right.

According to the manual
at ilde = 0.7kg
at 3000 rpm = 3.5kg

Hi

i was driving for the past 2days and ive noticed that my pressure if going up and down when accelerating but when im at constant speed it normal and just sits at normal.

is there sumthing wrong with my guage or my sensor?

could it be that my oil is getting hot and thining out so my pressure goes down?

when i went to get my car fixed it started to happen could it be possible that the mechanics knocked sumthing like the sensor or wire?

also my pressure is about .5 to 1gk lower than usual when driving,
idle at .9kg and constant at 3.5 to 4.5kg
im getting a oil cooler fittin in soon with that fix it?

thanx

Riced_Civic
17-11-2007, 06:26 AM
Did you just mount your guage?

Oil pressure at idle will drop as the oil heats up.
Oil pressure will increase as you accelerate (or the higher up the rev range), thats because the oil pump is driven by the crank, so obviously as the crank speeds up, the oil pump speed increases leading to higher pressures.

As fatboyz says, it does sound about right.

According to the manual
at ilde = 0.7kg
at 3000 rpm = 3.5kg

yeah i know about how it drops at idle, and goes up when accel
but it never used to read that low
at idle it use to be about 1.7/2 now .7/.9
and accel 5.5/6 now 3.5/4
i just wondering could it be faulty guage or did i loose pressure sum how.
im guessing it would drop cos it getting super hot theres days as well.

e240
17-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Well, if you don't have an oil cooler, the oil will still get up till 90~100 degrees anyway, in Sydney's weather.

You could double check your guage and sender unit. Are you using an electrical guage or mechanical?

SINISTR
17-11-2007, 09:59 AM
ill simply ask - what brand of gauge are you using?

im using cheapish autogauge oil pressure gauge and it does pretty much what you describe. when accelerating its not a smooth rotation its somewhat jerky and when its idling you can also see the gauge move a little.

its quiet possibly the type of gauge you're using - nothing to do with your oil. If there were issues with your pressure - your oil light would be coming on as well.

Riced_Civic
18-11-2007, 03:47 PM
im usin defi guages
i think by reading it could be the sender or a faulty guage. maby i have to chage every year or so