PDA

View Full Version : jump starting

faijai
13-08-2004, 03:11 PM
hey guys
i know this sounds stupid but how do u jump start a car? im a total newb. My cars been lying in the garage for around 3 weeks or so and the car wont start. help pls. hehe

VTEChnique
13-08-2004, 05:05 PM
OK i'll try to help you out before you get yo ass flamed HAHA

park the other car nose-to nose.. LEAVE THE DONOR CAR RUNNING (not in gear) then connect negative (black) lead from the donor car to your car's negative (-) battery terminal. Then connect the positive (red) Lead to the donor car, then to your (+) battery terminal.. leave to 'charge for a minute or two (you can increase the RPM on the donor car as it will increase the alternator's output.
now ENSURE YOU ARE IN NEUTRAL and you should be able to turn the key to the ignition ON position - your lights should come on.. then give it a try.

if it still hasnt got enough zap to start, you can try to increase the RPM in the donor car and/or leave it to CHARGE for a little while.

DO NOT leave it on there for too long as it may damage your donor car's alternator.

some batteries once they have gone flat - are forever flat and cannot hold charge once it is recieving more charge, so you MAY need to spend $90 on a new battery.

VTEChnique
13-08-2004, 05:12 PM
p.s. once it's running, remove POSITIVE from YOUR car and then the donor car, THEN remove the PPosative cable from your car then the donor car..

dont turn your car off for at least 15-20 mins or you wont have given the alternator time to have re-charged your battery.. if you go for a long drive then turn it off an dot wont re-start.. your alternator might be dead.. or your batter can no longer hold charge.. need to get a volt-meter onto both..

ECU-MAN
13-08-2004, 08:33 PM
VTEChnique , dude I disagree on EFI cars. only if either car is EFI Never disconnect the leads while the engine is running. Im sure you have heard the old stories that you get a spike and fry the ECU, well its true. honda's arnt so sensetive to it but it can happen. I found mitsubishi's are the worst.
let both cars run for about 10min. turn both cars off then remove the leads. then start the flat car. if it wont even crank put another battery in it. remember ths is only for EFI cars.

PERTH_EURO
13-08-2004, 09:24 PM
get yourself a set of spike protecting jumper leads!!!

bennjamin
13-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Also....is incapable of "Borrowing" some ones car n jumper leads - you can simply 2-gear-drop-start down a slight hill to shove ur starter into starting !

>...jsut roll in nuetral , place cluthc , in, engage 2nd gear and turn ignition ON.
Pop the clutch and the engien shoudl shudder into life :)

Then..leave to idle for 10 mins or so to charge the battery up alittle again...

TODA AU
13-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Ditto ECU-MAN...
Good advice...
(Sometimes, though you mighn't want to, you may have to spend money)

bizee_1
14-08-2004, 05:12 AM
sometimes i've noticed NRMA put the positive on battery terminal, and negative on engine block or other.... anyone enlighten me on this ? ie necessary or what not ?

Ronin
16-08-2004, 11:31 AM
That's what I do, works better for me. Negative on car engine, not battery terminals. Seems to give more kick when Jumping.

civic__dd
02-09-2004, 01:06 PM
I wish taht people with no idea on how to do something would keep there mouth shut. do not ever leave the donor car running as you can f### one or both alts. I worked for a battery shop for over a year and have replaces quite a few alts that have been spiked by doing this. The saftest way is a $20 surge protector or jumperleads with this built in:)