PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass Fenders

95civic
15-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any info in copying standard front fenders and bonnet in fibreglass? Is this a job that I can do myself? If so has anyone got any DIY info around that can help me out? Anyone here done this before?

Cheers,

Campbell

hondavti25
16-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Yeah mate ita fairly dangerous as well its bad enough with carbon fibre and i am fairly sure its ment to be stronger then fibre glass

xtat1k
16-11-2007, 01:08 AM
And, no point if ur using it for street. You're gonna chip it like a b1tch !

Zilli
16-11-2007, 07:39 AM
the problem with fibreglass as Clayemore said, it is illegal, same as carbon fibre because of its shatter characteristics...

Imagine hitting a pedestrian, bonnet shattering and impaling them on the shards... big big problems

Aside fom that, you would spend so much time trying to shape it and and get it right you could just get a second hand guard... plus firrbreglass can be quite heavy

95civic
16-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, no they will not be used on the streets at all... The guards I have on there now are very heavy metal... but Before I crunch them up (hopefully i dont) I was thinking of making up some fibreglass ones...

GIPONU
16-11-2007, 09:57 PM
ccarbon fibre would be better.
ive played with fibreglass b4 it gets quite heavy~
and i think f/g is meant to be heavier than carbon fibre..

95civic
16-11-2007, 10:40 PM
i dont rrly have the money for cf...

Anyone in melb do this kind of thing???

bennjamin
16-11-2007, 10:58 PM
y do u want to do it ? IF you want custom arches maybe...but if its for weight saving PLEASE take your stock fender and weigh it. It will be about 1kg if that. Light.

yourfather
16-11-2007, 11:01 PM
he has a stripped out gen 1 that he is doing an engine swap and making into a race car, so I dont think street legal is really a priority.

considering this: he will not have any interior except for a pedal box, a steering wheel, a gearbox, handbrake and a bucket seat

aimre
16-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Just try it

Zilli
17-11-2007, 03:42 PM
even if he has stripped it out that far, a think steel guard will be lighter than fibreglass, byt the time you put enough packing on and make the fb thick enough to stay true, you WILL be heavier than steel... if weight saving if your thing, then you are going to have to spend the bucks and buy c/f

95civic
18-11-2007, 12:41 AM
even if he has stripped it out that far, a think steel guard will be lighter than fibreglass, byt the time you put enough packing on and make the fb thick enough to stay true, you WILL be heavier than steel... if weight saving if your thing, then you are going to have to spend the bucks and buy c/f

I supose weight is one thing... and being race friendly is another... There arent too many Gen 1 guards lying round the place.. so I was thinking that i could possibly make a few fibreglass ones as replacments etc... and i would need to do this before I start bashing the current ones...

Zilli
18-11-2007, 10:14 AM
thats a really good point mate, i didnt think of it that way

95civic
18-11-2007, 09:59 PM
After talking to somone who knows a little about fibreglass (my dad) he thinks we can make a mould with FG, within the mould use timber to stiffen it so that it can lift off without breaking.. then use that to cast new fenders... sounds kinda simple???

How do I find out what weight(?) of Fibreglass I need to use???

Fo55il
19-11-2007, 10:23 AM
well - youll need 2 casts to start off with,

how was he planning on making the cast?

ive got sum f/g fenders if your interested, they are for an ek but wid fewer modifications (than building new ones) to fit an eg would be better.

i was actually gon put it on my EH but dun have the time atm, but mayeb in the holidays.

but if u do end up making the casts, u can make huge quantities n sell em, ill buy a pair lol

steve88
19-11-2007, 07:14 PM
this may be slightly unrelated, but does anyone know if theres a fibreglass, or bog that when cures, is clear? i was actually thinking of redoing my head lights reverse/indicator clear but rather than use 99-00 headlights that are frosted i wanted full clear ones.

95civic
19-11-2007, 07:52 PM
well - youll need 2 casts to start off with,

how was he planning on making the cast?

ive got sum f/g fenders if your interested, they are for an ek but wid fewer modifications (than building new ones) to fit an eg would be better.

i was actually gon put it on my EH but dun have the time atm, but mayeb in the holidays.

but if u do end up making the casts, u can make huge quantities n sell em, ill buy a pair lol

Thanks mate, but they are not for my EG, they are for my 1st Gen.