PDA

View Full Version : Help changing Spark Plugs for Civic EK

c00lman
16-11-2007, 03:52 PM
hi guys,

since this forum, im starting to wanna do things on my own then take it to scammers.

Originally i thought changing the sparkiez, all you need is a rachet wrench with a 12" socket extension... and the sparkiez (NGK, or Bosch) however i dunno what size or whatever measurements i need... then just a complete swap.

but i was reading up somewhere telling me make sure you dont "mess up the spark wires / need to replace spark wires, etc" whats goin on

said: "You're about to reach for those spark plug wires and pull them all out at once, aren't you? Don't do it! Your spark plugs fire in a specific order, and it's a heck of a lot easier to replace them one at a time without getting them mixed up."

SPEEDCORE
16-11-2007, 04:03 PM
I thought that it was pretty self explanitory....

You want uber-laymans terms?

Pull the plug wire and change the spark plug one at a time.
Start from 1 end of the engine... and work your way across.
This is so numbnuts who without thinking... plug up the wrong wires to the wrong cyls and come back on OH having a big sook.

PS: Pull the plug wires by the actual rubber plug... not the wire.
PSS: Stop being such tight arse and get yourself a Helms too.

c00lman
16-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I thought that it was pretty self explanitory....

PSS: Stop being such tight arse and get yourself a Helms too.

Ahah where do they sell em man? i prefer the forum because if you stuff up on something or want to ask a Q, someone can answer it, the book will list it 1 way or the highway type.

anyway...you never told me what brand/type sparkiez i need...NGK ok? :D

shadou
16-11-2007, 09:30 PM
lol if you yank em out all at once and forget the order then your a complete dumbass. I've never seen anyone mess up the order of the leads they are pretty simple and straight forward to plug back in. Got the correct socket? think you may need a magnet if your just using a normal 12mm deep socket.

c00lman
16-11-2007, 10:47 PM
hahah yeah a magnet or a hose cut (as ive seen once)
umm i just thought it'll be dumb to lose the order too because the leads are designed in a way where even if you pull em all 4 out, they end up sitting above their spots, its not like 4 shoe-laces, theyre very rubbery & hold their position...so yeah.... hmm i might need a magnet then...god damn.

$55 for ATF + $16 for Power steer + (Sparkiez) + (extra tools)

shadou
16-11-2007, 10:55 PM
just use the end of the leads to fish out the plugs, unscrew then replug and pull out, cheaper.

c00lman
16-11-2007, 11:04 PM
hehe that'll be a good idea..however end of the plus are fitted with a rubber base plug lead that is circular, wont go down the funnel

SPEEDCORE
17-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Ahah where do they sell em man?

Here you go fella.... http://www.pitstop.net.au/

Don't mind me when I am abrupt... I'm becoming a more and more cantankerous bastard the older I get. I really do mean well in the end.... :)

nd55
19-11-2007, 01:21 AM
> I've never seen anyone mess up the order of the leads they are pretty simple

I remember watching on the box, a run by a local top fuel dragster.

It was very spectacular with the usual flaming exhaust, accompanied on this run, with an explosion and fire etc as the engine blew when the throttle plates were opened.

The pit crew had wired two of the spark leads the wrong way.

Happens to the best of them.

Nick.

c00lman
19-11-2007, 08:51 AM
haha i just did some shopping @ supacheap...i bought a Spark Plug Wench (it undoes the sparkes & has this thing to remove them), bought NGK sparkiez part no. (BKR6E-11) etc...
but i went on the NGK website just now, & did a model search, looked for my engine number on my rego paper, it says D16Y4, NGK website matches that engine number to Spark Plug (ZFR5J-11)

complete diff number!! and the BKR series was listed in the manual to suit my civic, looks like i gotta retrun them man. fk

dsp26
19-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Speedcore is right on. Handle the wires very carefully and don't bend them. As the wires get older they degrade and it's very easy to to fracture the insides by rough handling.

yep vouch for this... it is pretty tricky to get a sparky out when you have a snapped connector from the lead stuck on the sparky and your deep socket won't fit all of a sudden... you will need to purchase very thin and long pliers

nd55
20-11-2007, 07:22 AM
> bought NGK sparkiez part no. (BKR6E-11) .

BKR7E-11 are the hot ticket for turbo setups according to d-series.org.

The '6' heat rating will be fine for NA.
The '11' means you will have to gap them down a bit, get the info from Helms.
I think 0.8 - 1mm (a rough guess), would be OK.
A fine copper plug.

> NGK website matches that engine number to Spark Plug (ZFR5J-11)
This is NGK's platinum spark plug.
Slightly different technology to extend the lifetime of the spark plug.
Either will work OK.
Again, the '11' means you will have to gap them to suit.

Either choice is fine. Go the Platinum plugs if you don't want to touch the spark plugs
again for another five years.

Nick.

c00lman
20-11-2007, 09:21 AM
yeah tech guide states a 1.0mm-1.1mm gap.. but how do i gap them? with what?

Ill most likely go with the ZR , thats what the site states for my exact engine model, regardless if they're plat or not...if they're plat as u said, its even better im gonna return the other ones because these ones i just checked were $1 extra per sparky ;) so extra 44 ill get myself some platinum sparkiez....

nd55
20-11-2007, 02:29 PM
> but how do i gap them?

Repco/Autobarn can sell you a gadget.

An old hacksaw blade will do in a pinch however.

Nick.

Samo
20-11-2007, 02:37 PM
lol "11" mean 1.1mm gap

dats stock .. its just plug and play

aaronng
20-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Leave it at 1.1mm gap.

If you have a decent socket set of 3/8" or 1/2" drive, they will come with the spark plug socket, which is rubber-lined so you can take the sparkie out after unscrewing it.

Get yourself some dielectric grease as well. Since you got coppers, you'll be changing them this time next year again. The grease will help ease the removal of your spark plug connectors so you don't damage the wire using excessive force.

c00lman
20-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Nick.[/QUOTE]

lol "11" mean 1.1mm gap

dats stock .. its just plug and play

LOL how blonde, your right... ahahah

Leave it at 1.1mm gap.

If you have a decent socket set of 3/8" or 1/2" drive, they will come with the spark plug socket, which is rubber-lined so you can take the sparkie out after unscrewing it.

umm i got a sparky wrench which has some rubber lining to take the sparky out easily

Get yourself some dielectric grease as well. Since you got coppers, you'll be changing them this time next year again. The grease will help ease the removal of your spark plug connectors so you don't damage the wire using excessive force.

Umm actually im getting the platinums as ND55 said they are (ZFR5J-11)

aaronng
20-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Umm actually im getting the platinums as ND55 said they are (ZFR5J-11)
Ahh, okok, good stuff. Those last about 60-70,000km.