PDA

View Full Version : What kind of LSD do I have?

spetz
16-11-2007, 07:34 PM
I got an LSD fitted from a gearbox I bought (didn't know it had the LSD)
And the mechanic said it was a cusco one
Now, when I give it throttle through corners (has to be pretty tight, 1st gear type corners) there is clunking
It is almost like CV clunking but meatier sounding, and does it when turning both left and right, but the intervals are long compared to CV clicking (probably a clunk each meter or so)

So, what style of LSD is this? The mechanic was saying something like 1.5 way but can't quite remember/understand what he said

Car is FWD as well
The clunking doesn't bother me, and the LSD is a bonus I didn't know about so I am happy.
Can someone help me?

T-onedc2
16-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I think the term is "mechanical type" lsd, someone correct me if wrong

aaronng
16-11-2007, 08:06 PM
It's a clutch type LSD and the clunking is normal.

http://www.cusco.co.jp/products/recommendation/limitedslipdifferential.html

90LAN
16-11-2007, 08:31 PM
u can use a heavier lsd oil like endless gb oil for lsd's
its 75-125 so it makes the clicking sound less

spetz
16-11-2007, 11:07 PM
How good is this kind of LSD?
I only drove the car for 10 mins or so, but it seemed like as soon as one wheel spun, the diff would "lock up" or something
Like, through a corner I'd get a chirp from one wheel then it'd immediately stop it
Is this well good sh1t?

aaronng
16-11-2007, 11:28 PM
How good is this kind of LSD?
I only drove the car for 10 mins or so, but it seemed like as soon as one wheel spun, the diff would "lock up" or something
Like, through a corner I'd get a chirp from one wheel then it'd immediately stop it
Is this well good sh1t?

The advantage of this clutch type of LSD is even when 1 wheel starts to totally spin, it will still send torque to the non-spinning wheel. Torque sensing LSDs that are used in the Type R and S2000 will prevent spinning but once a wheel does start spinning (one wheel on gravel or ice), then it will send torque to the spinning wheel.

The torque sensing LSD needs less maintenance and is less noisy than the clutch LSD though.

spetz
17-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah the clinkiness is there but doesn't bother me, gives a more "hardcore" feel to the car
But not having driven it much, I can see how in the end a silent/smooth diff would probably be best

spetz
20-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Having driven the car more...
The LSD is pretty odd. It doesn't clunk when not using throttle
And through a corner using throttle or not makes a big difference how wide or narrow the car goes. At low speeds using throttle makes it go wider, but at higher speeds using throttle feels like the wheels take charge and turn the car in
Seems like it almost locks itself on throttle
Takes a little bit of getting used to but I think it should be quite good overall

aaronng
20-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Having driven the car more...
The LSD is pretty odd. It doesn't clunk when not using throttle
And through a corner using throttle or not makes a big difference how wide or narrow the car goes. At low speeds using throttle makes it go wider, but at higher speeds using throttle feels like the wheels take charge and turn the car in
Seems like it almost locks itself on throttle
Takes a little bit of getting used to but I think it should be quite good overall

Of course. 1 way LSDs lock only on acceleration, 1.5 on acceleration and partially on deceleration and 2 way locks both ways.

spetz
20-11-2007, 10:20 AM
So it is a full lock or still allows some degree of slip on acceleration?

Are these things adjustable? Seeing as it is a clutch type? (just curious... as I am not taking the gearbox off again!)

aaronng
20-11-2007, 10:33 AM
So it is a full lock or still allows some degree of slip on acceleration?

Are these things adjustable? Seeing as it is a clutch type? (just curious... as I am not taking the gearbox off again!)

The one you have is most probably non-adjustable.