PDA

View Full Version : Valve springs + K20 intake manifold

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 11:23 AM
hey guys,

im looking at getting skunk2 stage 2 (or 3!) cams... im guessing ill have to upgrade my valve springs and retainers... anything else i should look at doing to run the cams?

thanks

ALN
18-11-2007, 11:42 AM
I got the magazine that showed the Skunk2 Project TSX that made 240 hp at wheel. Skunk2 mentioned that stage 1 is the best cams profile for stock bottom k24a2 since you can't really rev it more than 8500 rpm, there will be only very little clearance for the piston.
Anyway for the valve spring and retainer you needed to made power up to 8000 rpm however titanium retainer has lifespan from what I gathered it only last 10k km up to 15k km.

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 11:53 AM
thanks for that ALN... so i only need valvesprings and retianers if increasing my rev limit over 8000rpm...

does anyone else know if theres any disadvantage (besides economy) for going stage2 or 3?

also, will a K20 intake manifold fit on a k24? yes i know id have to modify the throttle body plate... but i like the larger plenum off the k20 and can upgrade it to a h2p one aswell

fatfish
18-11-2007, 12:09 PM
i think to full recondition of the cylinder head with the cam will even better.
this is what i am going to do early in the year

ALN
18-11-2007, 12:15 PM
thanks for that ALN... so i only need valvesprings and retianers if increasing my rev limit over 8000rpm...

does anyone else know if theres any disadvantage (besides economy) for going stage2 or 3?

also, will a K20 intake manifold fit on a k24? yes i know id have to modify the throttle body plate... but i like the larger plenum off the k20 and can upgrade it to a h2p one aswell

Not really, aggresive cams are the one that produce power and valve spring retainer made it easier to reach higher rpm.
Hmm for stage 2 and stage 3, it will affect the idle and daily driven situation and it might required to do crankshaft and rods to be replaced with lighter and strong one to pass reach 8500 rpm or pass it.

k20a intake manifold has 2 good options like PRC from ITR and RBC from euro R. PRC will require to modify the water port and RBC will directly bolt on to K24 euro. There to be found RBC is better than PRC in term of flow however it will only serve better with aggressive cams combo and will lose power on stock cams.
You could try 06 TSX intake cam in which from what I heard to be better than japs spec ITR cams and it manage to make 15 hp more on the top compare to 04 spec.
http://www.hondata.com/reflash_tsx_06.html

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 12:21 PM
sorry excuse my ignorance... whats PRC, ITR and RBC? cheers :D

ALN
18-11-2007, 12:27 PM
PRC is intake manifold found from jap spec DC5R and RBC intake manifold found in Euro R. RBC also recently found in US 06 civic Si. In skunk2 project TSX, they used PRC to made around 240 hp at wheel however that was in feb 06 which the RBC was not yet tested by many k series hardcore users.

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 12:38 PM
so i should try get the RBC, easier bolt on mod...
thanks again

ALN
18-11-2007, 12:59 PM
no worries. Just try this website http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/
Prob, one of the cheapest online store and good luck with the project.

fatfish
18-11-2007, 05:17 PM
aln

how about the japan ctr Fd2 intake manifold will it fit to our car, i am thinking of putting the fd2 intake manifold and the spoon made throttle bodies on to our car, do you think it will work?

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 05:51 PM
hehehe couldnt help myself... just ordered the RBC from a DC5 RSX/EP3 CTR...
it comes with:
-RBC INTAKE MANIFOLD
-"KARCEPTS" RBC ADAPTER TO MOUNT STOCK THROTTLE BODY
-GASKET - BETWEEN RBC MANIFOLD & KARCEPTS ADAPTER
-GASKET - BETWEED KARCEPTS ADAPTER & STOCK THROTTLE BODY
-VACUUM LINE - TO CONNECT RBC TO STOCK VACUUM FITTING
-HARDWARE TO MOUNT STOCK THROTTLE BODY TO KARCEPTS ADAPTER PLATE TO RBC MANIFOLD
(im not sure if ill need the TB adaptor as i think the RBC used drive-by-wire thottle anyway?)

i should have it within the week, ill install it when i put on my Hondata heatshield gasket, and do my throttle body coolant bypass :D

should work well in conjunction with TODA headers and K&N CAI...

now i just gotta save up for skunk2 stage 2 cams and jtune mild reflash :D

ALN
18-11-2007, 06:30 PM
aln

how about the japan ctr Fd2 intake manifold will it fit to our car, i am thinking of putting the fd2 intake manifold and the spoon made throttle bodies on to our car, do you think it will work?

The TB, I guess it could fit to our euro since the TB of the FD2 is exactly the same with DC5/CL7 one with only difference in the system. I red from civic si forum that few of the members replaced their stock 60 mm tb to 06 TSX 64mm TB and it worked.

The intake manifold is new design which only available in FD2, but then again I guess it could fit our euro and if minor mods required it would be the water port. :D

FD2 are damn good though from the chassis, transmission to engine. It has adopted NSX tech :thumbsup:

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/FD2K20AR/index.html

sodaz
18-11-2007, 06:56 PM
hehehe couldnt help myself... just ordered the RBC from a DC5 RSX/EP3 CTR...
it comes with:
-RBC INTAKE MANIFOLD
-"KARCEPTS" RBC ADAPTER TO MOUNT STOCK THROTTLE BODY
-GASKET - BETWEEN RBC MANIFOLD & KARCEPTS ADAPTER
-GASKET - BETWEED KARCEPTS ADAPTER & STOCK THROTTLE BODY
-VACUUM LINE - TO CONNECT RBC TO STOCK VACUUM FITTING
-HARDWARE TO MOUNT STOCK THROTTLE BODY TO KARCEPTS ADAPTER PLATE TO RBC MANIFOLD
(im not sure if ill need the TB adaptor as i think the RBC used drive-by-wire thottle anyway?)

i should have it within the week, ill install it when i put on my Hondata heatshield gasket, and do my throttle body coolant bypass :D

should work well in conjunction with TODA headers and K&N CAI...

now i just gotta save up for skunk2 stage 2 cams and jtune mild reflash :D

Did you order the Euro R intake manifold? I remember reading somewhere that installing it on the K24a engine caused it to lose power. The shorter runners are designed for high end power which suits the K20a but not the K24a.

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Did you order the Euro R intake manifold? I remember reading somewhere that installing it on the K24a engine caused it to lose power. The shorter runners are designed for high end power which suits the K20a but not the K24a.

i think its the same as the euro R, i know its different to the K20 manifold off the S2K and ADM DC5, they use a more snail like intake... yes the shorter track will lose power low down, but it gains up to 7hp top end... and when used in conjunction with CAI, headers, and reflash, they obtained about 15hp gain... it'll also give me more room to move when it comes to cams and headwork...

The stock RBB manifold is uses a long narrow runner which is good for torque, whereas the RBC intake from the Accord Euro R uses shorter fatter runners optimized for high rpm breathing. The RBC intake is a direct replacement for the RBB

you can see below the intake tract on the RBC is actually about the same length as the PRB, but doesnt snail around, allowing for free'r flowing air :)
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/RBCSideBySidePRB.jpg

LUD35
18-11-2007, 08:28 PM
i have the stage 2 Skunk cams in my k24 civic, and i love em. i have standard headers which really restricts room to me to move, but mid-range to top-end is pretty intense, heaps more torque. you wont be disappointed if you decide on them.

personally, stage 3's are nuts...send a PM to Dr Honda for more information, he has them in his civic.

good luck

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 09:05 PM
i have the stage 2 Skunk cams in my k24 civic, and i love em. i have standard headers which really restricts room to me to move, but mid-range to top-end is pretty intense, heaps more torque. you wont be disappointed if you decide on them.

personally, stage 3's are nuts...send a PM to Dr Honda for more information, he has them in his civic.

good luck

did you do any more engine work besides cams? like valve springs or anything?

thanks for that, good to see a real life example :)

who'd you get to install them?

EG5
18-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Tb adapter got nothing to do with drive by wire system.

people use karcept TB adapter to run K20A throttle body on RBB and RBC intake manifold.

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 09:12 PM

people use karcept TB adapter to run K20A throttle body on RBB and RBC intake manifold.

i was going more down the line that the adaptor was made for non DBW TBs... and i was under the impression that the RBC was made for DBW TBs (CTR and ATR) so i wouldnt need it...

sodaz
18-11-2007, 09:12 PM
i think its the same as the euro R, i know its different to the K20 manifold off the S2K and ADM DC5, they use a more snail like intake... yes the shorter track will lose power low down, but it gains up to 7hp top end... and when used in conjunction with CAI, headers, and reflash, they obtained about 15hp gain... it'll also give me more room to move when it comes to cams and headwork...

you can see below the intake tract on the RBC is actually about the same length as the PRB, but doesnt snail around, allowing for free'r flowing air :)

Interesting! Good luck mate. Let us know how you go with it. :thumbsup:

EUR003act
18-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Interesting! Good luck mate. Let us know how you go with it. :thumbsup:

cheers :D

im kinda in a modding mood today... as soon as my bloody TODA headers arrive (still waiting after 8weeks!) and i get the intake on, ill go get her dyno'd :p

Suntzu
19-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Is custom tuning needed with Cams? or would hondata do? Might pay to see what they come up with their cam/flash/extreme package we know how long this might be....

EUR003act
19-11-2007, 05:56 PM
thats exactly what im wondering!

im pretty sure id need alot of tuning for stage 3... but would i get away with the jtune mild flash for stage 2 cams?

LUD35
19-11-2007, 06:14 PM
i have skunk stage 2 cams with stage 2 titanium valves and retainers. Dr Honda built the motor for me.no other internal work other than the cams and ARP head studs.

im running a k-pro, so no there arent any "custom" tuning specifically for the cams.

EUR003act
19-11-2007, 06:23 PM

From the TSX forums:
since the RRB and the RBC are newer, they require the use of a Drive-By-Wire throttle body. Since the K20A and other models are not Drive-By-Wire, the throttle bodies do not bolt up. You will need an adapter plate used in conjunction with a K20A throttle body and cable

the adaptor plate is only for non drive-by-wire TBs... so i wont need it for the k24a

EG5
19-11-2007, 06:35 PM
From the TSX forums:
since the RRB and the RBC are newer, they require the use of a Drive-By-Wire throttle body. Since the K20A and other models are not Drive-By-Wire, the throttle bodies do not bolt up. You will need an adapter plate used in conjunction with a K20A throttle body and cable

the adaptor plate is only for non drive-by-wire TBs... so i wont need it for the k24a

thats what i just said up there.
but anyway this mods should be good for you:thumbsup:

EUR003act
19-11-2007, 06:46 PM
thats what i just said up there.
but anyway this mods should be good for you:thumbsup:

lol cheers buddy :D

ill keep everyone updated!

aaronng
19-11-2007, 06:47 PM

You also need pistons, rods, pins and other goodies in the block. Otherwise the engine won't last spinning to over 8000rpm.

aaronng
19-11-2007, 06:49 PM
thats exactly what im wondering!

im pretty sure id need alot of tuning for stage 3... but would i get away with the jtune mild flash for stage 2 cams?

Yes, you should get proper tuning if you are replacing the cams.

EUR003act
19-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes, you should get proper tuning if you are replacing the cams.

is there anyone that does custom tuning for the euro? do i have to get piggy back ecu (apexi AFC/NEO or similar) or can you just tune stock?

aaronng
19-11-2007, 06:57 PM
is there anyone that does custom tuning for the euro? do i have to get piggy back ecu (apexi AFC/NEO or similar) or can you just tune stock?

VAFCii and the Neo are insufficient as they cannot control VTC and ignition timing. You will either have to get a custom reflash or go k-pro using a harness and a k20a ecu. There should be other brands of ECUs available for the Euro and those will work as well. Before choosing an ECU, I'd choose a tuner first.

tony1234
19-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Hmm.I hope you've got deep pockets EUROO3act.

EUR003act
19-11-2007, 07:34 PM
VAFCii and the Neo are insufficient as they cannot control VTC and ignition timing. You will either have to get a custom reflash or go k-pro using a harness and a k20a ecu. There should be other brands of ECUs available for the Euro and those will work as well. Before choosing an ECU, I'd choose a tuner first.

id prefer custom reflash... as i dont want to loose cruise control/VSA/air con and all that other stuff you loose when changing to k20 ecu...

my pockets arent deep, but a fool and his money are easily parted lol

aaronng
19-11-2007, 07:44 PM
id prefer custom reflash... as i dont want to loose cruise control/VSA/air con and all that other stuff you loose when changing to k20 ecu...

my pockets arent deep, but a fool and his money are easily parted lol

Use the Hytech k24a/k20a ecu harness. You run 2 ECUs. The k20a with k-pro runs the engine and the k24a runs your A/C, cruise control and it might even keep VSA working (just guessing though). Downside is that the harness costs a few hundred USD, and a k-pro'd k20a ECU isn't exactly cheap.

EUR003act
19-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Use the Hytech k24a/k20a ecu harness. You run 2 ECUs. The k20a with k-pro runs the engine and the k24a runs your A/C, cruise control and it might even keep VSA working (just guessing though). Downside is that the harness costs a few hundred USD, and a k-pro'd k20a ECU isn't exactly cheap.

is that just the US hondata k-pro ecu? thanks aaronng

aaronng
19-11-2007, 08:43 PM
is that just the US hondata k-pro ecu? thanks aaronng
On their website, it works with the PRB (USDM Type S) and the PRC (JDM DC5R) ECUs.

EUR003act
19-11-2007, 08:56 PM
On their website, it works with the PRB (USDM Type S) and the PRC (JDM DC5R) ECUs.

your the man... ill let you drive my baby after shes finished :D

EuroAccord13
21-11-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm trying out the JDM DC5R intake plenum as well as the CL7 Euro R intake plenum, we'll see how it goes along with custom headers and ECU.....

The shorter runners delivers power @ around 6000 RPM and hence with our rev limiter, we are restricted to 1400RPM to play with on the powerband... This will be interesting....

EUR003act
22-11-2007, 06:51 AM
I'm trying out the JDM DC5R intake plenum as well as the CL7 Euro R intake plenum, we'll see how it goes along with custom headers and ECU.....

The shorter runners delivers power @ around 6000 RPM and hence with our rev limiter, we are restricted to 1400RPM to play with on the powerband... This will be interesting....

if you get yours installed before me ull have to tell me everything!

don't forget if you using the JDM DC5 intake, i think youll need an adaptor for the water bypass on the block?

fatfish
22-11-2007, 07:53 PM
what ecu can i use for auto car with k20 head swap valve spring, and cam change. will the stock ecu with vafc able to run

EuroAccord13
22-11-2007, 09:36 PM
VAFC will only allow alteration of your A/F ratio and VTEC engagement points. A good tuner will be able to work out the best combination of these two parameters.

It is unable to alter ignition timing and control which alone can make good gains for the car.

EUR003act
22-11-2007, 10:39 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/Front-1.jpg

just wanted to show off how sexy the RBC is :p

lol

oh and i finally found an engine cover for it! after days and days of trawling the net!

LUD35
24-11-2007, 02:54 PM
You also need pistons, rods, pins and other goodies in the block. Otherwise the engine won't last spinning to over 8000rpm.

sorry but thats incorrect, depending on what kind of car the motor is in.

keep in mind there are 4 types of k24's, k24a1/k24a2/k24a3/k24a4

k24a1's have the weakest bottom ends of all k24's, these are not recommended to be revved above 7900, and are weak motors, these come in bottom of the line CRV's(i think). the other's have stronger rods and pistons and can be taken up to approx 8200-8300 depending on other mods.

all that is needed to make a k24a2/a3/a4 rev all the way up to 9000rpm is forged rods and pistons. then again, you must remember that alot more work ontop of that must be done to make power all the way there ei. high end cams.

there is alot of information on this very subject at k20a.org

aaronng
24-11-2007, 10:54 PM
sorry but thats incorrect, depending on what kind of car the motor is in.

keep in mind there are 4 types of k24's, k24a1/k24a2/k24a3/k24a4

k24a1's have the weakest bottom ends of all k24's, these are not recommended to be revved above 7900, and are weak motors, these come in bottom of the line CRV's(i think). the other's have stronger rods and pistons and can be taken up to approx 8200-8300 depending on other mods.

all that is needed to make a k24a2/a3/a4 rev all the way up to 9000rpm is forged rods and pistons. then again, you must remember that alot more work ontop of that must be done to make power all the way there ei. high end cams.

there is alot of information on this very subject at k20a.org

You're saying the same thing that I said. :) Take a stock K24A3 block, put on aggressive cams and Type R valve springs to prevent valve float and tune the ECU, you'll still get a hole in the block after revving it to 9000rpm say once a day for a month or two.

LUD35
25-11-2007, 09:57 PM
ok cool :) im glad my information is correct

ALN
26-11-2007, 04:15 AM
You're saying the same thing that I said. :) Take a stock K24A3 block, put on aggressive cams and Type R valve springs to prevent valve float and tune the ECU, you'll still get a hole in the block after revving it to 9000rpm say once a day for a month or two.

I agreed with aaronng, if you search again on k20a.org there are a lot of discussion of k24a no matter which type, a2 or a1 can't really stand above 8000 rpm since the piston contact clearance unless rods and the crankshaft are to be replaced.

Just for reminder about the RBC , it has been discussed and tested already that can only works with aggressive cams in k24 engine. Stock k24 engine will suffer low and mid range power however the small gain will appear on top. However RBC to be found to produced higher output with combining with aggressive cams compare to other Honda's intake manifold. Anyway good luck, keep us posted.

EUR003act
26-11-2007, 06:27 PM
at 7500rpm the K24s pistons are travelling at the same speed as the K20s doing 8500rpm... therefore, yes it'd probably destroy the engine doing 9000rpm... but im not looking at increasing rev limit... i am just talking about getting intake, skunk2 stage 2 cams, and ecu reflash...

aaronng
26-11-2007, 07:21 PM
at 7500rpm the K24s pistons are travelling at the same speed as the K20s doing 8500rpm... therefore, yes it'd probably destroy the engine doing 9000rpm... but im not looking at increasing rev limit... i am just talking about getting intake, skunk2 stage 2 cams, and ecu reflash...

The way cams work is to alter the point at which peak torque occurs. Since the Euro makes peak power at 6800rpm and peak torque at 4500rpm, you can expect that when you shift peak torque up to 6000rpm, you can make more power at over 8000rpm.

Assuming that you manage to push say 223Nm at 6800rpm using the stage 2 cams, that's only still 158.7kW. Say you lose some torque and hit only 200Nm but at 8000rpm, that is still 167.5kW!

EuroAccord13
26-11-2007, 07:41 PM
RBC Intake Manifold anyone?

Time for a sandwich plate :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/Project150/RBC-1.jpg

EUR003act
26-11-2007, 09:29 PM
The way cams work is to alter the point at which peak torque occurs. Since the Euro makes peak power at 6800rpm and peak torque at 4500rpm, you can expect that when you shift peak torque up to 6000rpm, you can make more power at over 8000rpm.

Assuming that you manage to push say 223Nm at 6800rpm using the stage 2 cams, that's only still 158.7kW. Say you lose some torque and hit only 200Nm but at 8000rpm, that is still 167.5kW!

mmmmm 158kw.... id be happy as larry with that!! :D

and the pic of the RBC manifold EUROACCORD13 - i got sooo excited just looking at it! you so have to let me know how it goes!

EuroAccord13
26-11-2007, 10:06 PM
You want more excitement?

How about a Teaser of what ART is doing to the car.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/Project150/What.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/EuroAccord13/Project150/InitialTune.jpg

EUR003act
01-12-2007, 05:00 PM
mmmmmmm looks like custom tuning to me!

lol soooo hot! :p

nice diagram of the manifold below:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/14SVA6_018_6Medium.gif

and heres a diagram of the manifold cover that was nearly impossible to find! lol
also shows the bolts i needed to order for fitting :D

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/14SVA6_018_8Medium.gif

hehe my engine bay is gonna be screaming "euroR" lol

EUR003act
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
YAY! got my RBC intake manifold...

everything seems the same (fittings wise) except for what i think is the idle control solonoid? (anyone confirm) its a small vacuum line that comes out of the bottom of the plenum on the RBB manifold... and its not on the RBC... so ill just tap into the plenum myself :)

ill post pics and DIY once installed :p

EG5
14-12-2007, 11:56 PM
On my EGK24A 50 degree VTC help alot to get the most out of it with KPRO + tuning.
I dont think its possible on Accord Euro :(

EuroAccord13
15-12-2007, 12:44 AM
On my EGK24A 50 degree VTC help alot to get the most out of it with KPRO + tuning.

Well it's possible but not recommended.... :)

http://hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

EUR003act
15-12-2007, 04:54 PM

50 degree VTC is pushing it... valve to piston clearance is so so minimal!

im thinking of drilling my cam gears out to 40-45degree VTC...

EuroAccord13
15-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Take the risk Justin! :D Better not!

My R&D in conjunction with the ECU will be for reliability :)

ALN
16-12-2007, 01:36 PM
50 degree VTC is pushing it... valve to piston clearance is so so minimal!

im thinking of drilling my cam gears out to 40-45degree VTC...

You can get the RSX or DC5 intake cam gear for around USD 100 though, I bought mine from a seller in K20a.org.

EUR003act
16-12-2007, 04:50 PM
You can get the RSX or DC5 intake cam gear for around USD 100 though, I bought mine from a seller in K20a.org.

ive heard its way too dangerous running it tho... especially if you change rev limit to 8500 >...

piston + valve = bad !!!

aaronng
16-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Technically, the VTC shouldn't use the full 50 degrees if the ECU sets it to engage to a max of 40. But then again, having a physical 40 degree limit is always better.

EUR003act
16-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Technically, the VTC should use the full 50 degrees if the ECU sets it to engage to a max of 40. But then again, having a physical 40 degree limit is always better.

i guess you meant: shouldn't use the full 50 degrees

aaronng
16-12-2007, 07:17 PM
i guess you meant: shouldn't use the full 50 degrees

LOL! Yes, "shouldn't". Thanks. I'll fix my post. :thumbsup:

EUR003act
16-12-2007, 07:19 PM
LOL! Yes, "shouldn't". Thanks. I'll fix my post. :thumbsup:

lol im just looking out for you buddy :p

EUR003act
17-12-2007, 11:18 AM
INSTALL IS IN PROGRESS!!!

Already removed RBB manifold (what an absolute bitch that was!) now just popping down to the shops to get some unexpected parts! :(

will post updates as soon as finished :p

EDIT:
RBC intake installed, just finalising wiring loom, vacuum lines, coolant, and EVAP...

UPDATE: primed fuel pump, fuel started spraying all over the shop! f*cken fuel rail o-ring cracked :(

EUR003act
17-12-2007, 06:36 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/DSCF1668Small.jpg

INSTALLED!!!

but not driveable atm... ill need to go to honda tomoz and get new fuel connecter o-ring :(

large snail vs. small child eater:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/DSCF1625Small.jpg

Min988
17-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Oh God Thats Super Sexy !!!!!!!!

fatfish
17-12-2007, 08:47 PM
looks very hot
sexy
can you please post some test drive report
nice job:thumbsup:
when are you install you valve and cams

aaronng
18-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm eagerly waiting for the test drive impressions! :thumbsup:

sodaz
18-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Good stuff! Let us know once you get the chance to drive it.

EUR003act
18-12-2007, 07:19 AM
I'm eagerly waiting for the test drive impressions! :thumbsup:

Good stuff! Let us know once you get the chance to drive it.
hopefully if honda have the part ill have her driving by tonight :D

looks very hot
sexy
can you please post some test drive report
nice job:thumbsup:
when are you install you valve and cams
that might be on hold for awhile now :( need to save up money again! headers cost more than id planned to be installed (had to purchase high flow cat aswell), plus im still awaiting new engine cover and my bodykit...

EG5
18-12-2007, 08:38 AM
My EGK24A only rev to 7600rpm
50 degree VTC is save , it max out at 45 degrees on my KPRO.

EUR003act
18-12-2007, 06:40 PM
hey guys... couldnt get replacement fuel line from honda till january :( so i had to make up a custom jobby for the meantime... started the engine tonight, no fuel spraying everywhere!!

First Impressions:
took 5-8secs to crank over, then a lil jumpy on idle at first...
sat on 1600rpm for a min or two...
as it got warmer dropped down to 1200, then rested on 900rpm for awhile...
at correct idle temp, runs on 700-750rpm (same as before)...
There is also a distinctively different exhaust note, its more "airy"

Test Drive:
Starting off slowly in 1st, changed at 4000 to 2nd, then 3500 into 3rd...
i noticed when drivng in a gear, then going to neutral, the revs drop quickly down to around 700, then bounce back up to 1400... it does this when going from anygear into neatral or when pushing in the clutch...
Luckily, that only did that for 5mins, then changed to only dropping down to 1100rpm when moving in neuatral, 1000rpm when u first stop, it then drops down and rests on 700-750rpm after sitting for awhile (same as before)

Driving WOT 1st gear, maybe slight loss in power below 3000, hard to tell... 1st gear 6-7000rpm only lasts a second, and let me tell you, when vtec engages, the engine roars! huge difference there, the CAI no longer grumbles with vtec, but screams...

2nd gear, maybe also slight loss in power, if not the same below 3000, between that and 4500 seems the same, but once above 4500rpm definate improvement, 5000 to redline goes very very quickly! once again, vtec smashes through the last bit of rev range...

3rd gear, much the same as 2nd, this is where i suppose jtune reflash with 5000 vtec engagement would make huge difference, this manifold really seems to love high revs :D

4th gear i didnt get to test fully :p, but up until 5000 she goes nicely... no lack in power as she pulls past 4500

I forgot i took this pic, it shows just how good modern day casting is, i cant see porting getting much more power (if any) off the k-series
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/DSCF1637Medium.jpg

sodaz
18-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Very nice mate! Thanks for posting your impressions so quick. :thumbsup:

It seems like the IM shifts the power from down low to high like a pod style CAI does. There's a bit of sacrifice in daily driveability to improve peak power. The Jtune mild reflash will lower VTEC slightly so it should improve things. I'm a bit concerned with the lumpy start up though. Things could change in a few days though as the ECU is still adjusting to the new setup. :)

Suntzu
19-12-2007, 08:45 AM
This is an awesome mod. Well done for breaking new ground. Ill have to come for a run and listen to that vtec action!

EUR003act
19-12-2007, 06:36 PM
This is an awesome mod. Well done for breaking new ground. Ill have to come for a run and listen to that vtec action!

hel yeah! lol ull be sooo jealous :p

car was perfect driving to work this morning, engine warmed up fine, and no jerkiness/bouncing of revs... all seems good...

coming home from work traction control kicked in when vtec hit in 2nd gear lol it was heaps funny :p

EUR003act
20-12-2007, 09:03 PM
my manifold cover has shipped :D hopefully have it either monday or thursday/friday next week... then ill be able to show tony when he is down in canberra :thumbsup:

tony1234
21-12-2007, 05:17 AM
my manifold cover has shipped :D hopefully have it either monday or thursday/friday next week... then ill be able to show tony when he is down in canberra :thumbsup:
Yeah sounds good.It'll be interesting to check it all out when i'm down in Canberra.BTW,PM me your ph.number so i can contact you when i'm there.:wave:

EUR003act
23-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Yeah sounds good.It'll be interesting to check it all out when i'm down in Canberra.BTW,PM me your ph.number so i can contact you when i'm there.:wave:

PM sent :D i sent you a msg too, so just msg me when your free to meet...

EUR003act
26-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Manifold cover and mounting hardware arrived on Monday - i wasnt home to collect, so hopefully i can get it tomorrow! :D
weather permitting ill have pics of my complete "euroR" engine bay online tomorrow night :p

im sooooo excited! lol

EDIT:
delivery company tried to resend it to my house today, while i was at their depot trying to collect it! idiots! anyway, hopefully get it on monday! :(

kingfoo
02-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Nice mod. I'm hoping to find an RBC manifold too. where did you get yours?

Any pics of the cover installed? and if you wanted one quicker or cheaper I could have found you one. I just got one for $30.

If I end up getting a PRC intake manifold, does anyone know what's involved in modifying the the water port?

krogoth
02-01-2008, 10:32 PM
give us an update, lol

EUR003act
03-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Nice mod. I'm hoping to find an RBC manifold too. where did you get yours?

Any pics of the cover installed? and if you wanted one quicker or cheaper I could have found you one. I just got one for $30.

If I end up getting a PRC intake manifold, does anyone know what's involved in modifying the the water port?

i installed the cover yesterday :D yay! finally lol... ill try get pics up tonight.

i got mine off ebay, theres a guy who sells them for integras/civics, he normally sells them with the water port cut off, and they come with a throttle body adapter... but i got a uncut one from him. ill try get details for you

you got RBC manifold cover genuine honda for $30?!?!! thats heaps good! im thinking of buying another one, scratched mine alittle installing it :( i was in a hurry lol oops

yeah i know what needs to be done for the water port, ill put instructions up once ive written some...

EUR003act
03-01-2008, 07:04 AM
give us an update, lol

well while tony was down in canberra (hey tony!:D), i let him drive my car... he didnt push her hard, but he couldnt feel any loss in low/mid end power, said it felt about the same as his '06 (only comptech icebox i think).... so we're both thinking maybe ive just lost some of the gains i got from headers/pulleys/etc... it was a very hot day, so we didnt really get to test out the top end, but he took me for a drive in his baby, damn she handles well! i gotta get myself proper coilovers!

aaronng
03-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Last I drove an Euro with Toda headers, it was like night and day compared to a stock Euro. In my opinion, having your low end go back to a similar feel to an Icebox-equipped Euro is quite a power loss. But then again, Tony's Euro has a pretty strong engine compared to mine.

tony1234
03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Last I drove an Euro with Toda headers, it was like night and day compared to a stock Euro. In my opinion, having your low end go back to a similar feel to an Icebox-equipped Euro is quite a power loss. But then again, Tony's Euro has a pretty strong engine compared to mine.
The Icebox has improved the mid end and even the top end a bit with minimal increase in noise.Cost me approx.$260 shipped,good value.I'm still running the stock top piece of the intake with a K&N filter(thanks euroo3act).Not sure what difference in power the top piece will make when i install it. Id be interested to compare another 06-07 manual with mine,as Aaron said mine seems to go hard for a basically stock engine.:confused:

aaronng
03-01-2008, 08:50 AM
The Icebox has improved the mid end and even the top end a bit with minimal increase in noise.Cost me approx.$260 shipped,good value.I'm still running the stock top piece of the intake with a K&N filter(thanks euroo3act).Not sure what difference in power the top piece will make when i install it. Id be interested to compare another 06-07 manual with mine,as Aaron said mine seems to go hard for a basically stock engine.:confused:

I changed my engine oil after we last met up and it was a big improvement. The oil I had in the engine had seen a track day. When I drained it out, it was black and a little gunky. Even with the improvement, my car still doesn't have that mid-range lump of torque that your car does.

tony1234
03-01-2008, 12:29 PM
I changed my engine oil after we last met up and it was a big improvement. The oil I had in the engine had seen a track day. When I drained it out, it was black and a little gunky. Even with the improvement, my car still doesn't have that mid-range lump of torque that your car does.
Good to hear.Is there anyone here that can confirm if there was any change to ECU mapping or whatever between an 04-05 to 06-07?from what i know there was no changes(apart from strengthened rods and crank)to the engine from 06 onwards.

EUR003act
03-01-2008, 05:52 PM

you see i didnt find much difference with the headers... i felt more of an improvement in power after installing CAI... i dont know, maybe my butt dyno is compltely out :p

anyways, i finally got pics of the engine bay complete! it hasnt been cleaned or anything, but i know alot of you were desperate to see the final result!
so here she is:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/DSCF1723Medium.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/DSCF1724Medium.jpg

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/DSCF1727Medium.jpg

aaronng
03-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Looking HOT!!!

krogoth
04-01-2008, 12:35 AM
wats this 2.0L dohc stuff?

did u buy a k20 IM cover? lol, sorry if this is nub

EUR003act
04-01-2008, 06:52 AM
wats this 2.0L dohc stuff?

did u buy a k20 IM cover? lol, sorry if this is nub

i bought and modded K20 euroR intake manifold and installed on my K24, so i needed to get the euroR IM cover to make it sexy :D

FYI the 2.0 doesnt stand for 2L... its how quickly the car does 0-100km/hr :p haha

Pumped
04-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Does changing the intake manifold to the RBC decrease the Capacity of the engine?
i heard it does, if it decreases it to 2L does that mean it will rev higher now to?

*insert sarcasm*

Looks good :)

tony1234
04-01-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Justin i'd return that cover.It'll make your car slower!!It's turned your engine into a 2ltr.hahaha.;)

EUR003act
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey Justin i'd return that cover.It'll make your car slower!!It's turned your engine into a 2ltr.hahaha.;)

hahaha but my euro is a EuroR... they come stock with the K20 :p lol

i love it

sodaz
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I like it. Looks good mate. :thumbsup: Have you got the Euro R body kit yet?

EUR003act
06-01-2008, 01:04 AM
I like it. Looks good mate. :thumbsup: Have you got the Euro R body kit yet?

i wish!

i love the euroR kit! so so so sexc! :D

i got badges and grill for now... front bar might come later...

sodaz
06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
i wish!

i love the euroR kit! so so so sexc! :D

i got badges and grill for now... front bar might come later...

It is sexy indeed. You're half way there already! :)

EUR003act
08-04-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey guys (and girls)

the latest update in my intake setup... Power Rev Racing throttle body spacer (for the '06 Civic SI) and P2R throttle body thermal gasket (same as hondatat IM gasket but for TB)...

on the K20 the TB spacer sees gains of around 4.5hp atw (dyno proven)... not sure what kind of gains ill get on the K24, but hey, ive basically run out of bolt on mods :( lol and at only $80 it was pretty cheap

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff128/eur003/PowerRevRacing-ThrottleBodyMedium.jpg

fatfish
08-04-2008, 09:25 PM
looks very nice
have you drive around yet?

EUR003act
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
looks very nice
have you drive around yet?

yeah i have driven... i can feel no difference lol but i couldnt feel a difference with toda headers lol

the TB definately stays cooler tho! now i just need to heat sheild my k&n typhoon piping... it gets sooo much heat soak! :(

aaronng
08-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm very skeptical about the 4.5hp gain using a TB spacer + insulating gasket.

curik
08-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I seriously doubt a spacer gaining 4.5hp as well. I just couldnt find its merits from the engineering point of view

EUR003act
08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm very skeptical about the 4.5hp gain using a TB spacer + insulating gasket.

lol yeah, as i said, i cant feel anything, but its another thing to add to my mods list, and it was cheap :) lol

we'll see how everything goes when i get it dynoed

EuroAccord13
08-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Find a dyno that is properly calibrated too :D :D :D

EUR003act
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Find a dyno that is properly calibrated too :D :D :D

lol thats the hard bit! :p

BusterSonic12
08-04-2008, 11:32 PM
no worries. Just try this website http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/
Prob, one of the cheapest online store and good luck with the project.

that site doesn't sell any integra parts??

aaronng
09-04-2008, 12:52 AM
that site doesn't sell any integra parts??

DC5 is considered an Acura in the US.

Crapdaz
20-05-2008, 01:01 PM
just wondering where you can source the manifold from? and was there much trouble or pretty much direct bolt on?

enkay
20-05-2008, 06:05 PM
u can get the rbc from jdmyard