View Full Version : eg K20a mods?

freewilly
19-11-2007, 12:52 PM
ok heres the deal $10k to spend on mods
engines in...
i have rough ideas...

but want everyone elses input...pls...

running dc2r calipers+rotors BC racing spec DTR headers
(not sure on exhaust yet - any recommendations?)
stock motor + watever is needed for conversion
kpro on the way

todaek9
19-11-2007, 01:20 PM
depending u wanna do track or drag

riceball
19-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Track or not you need some good suspension gear if you are going to build a mean machine. Spend some money on some good coilovers and maybe some strut bars first.

You will need a 3" mandrel bent exhaust to start off with. Abit bigger if you wanna throw the snail on her.

Then its really up to you on what power figures you are after, NA or Turbo is really your choice, but since you have already purchased your headers I guess its NA all the way.

My thoughts on the very first engine mods after headers and intake is a HD clutch and lightened flywheel. :thumbsup:

barefootbonzai
19-11-2007, 01:44 PM
yep $10k is a fair amount of money. but if you don't think about what you spend it on, it'll dissapear very quick.

You really need to ask yourself what you want out of your car. There so many people that build cars, but there's only a few that have Purpose Built Cars.

todaek9
19-11-2007, 02:11 PM
if i were you, i will spend most on balancing the car...
and lil gain on power stuff...
2.5 inch is more than enough for k20a...
you can spend on a good set of suspension, smth like Aragusta, ohlins - with canister...plus all busing, and sway bars, A arm, upper, lower, camber, rear tie, roll cage, weldspot.. full exhaust, headgasket, and keep the std airbox but change the filter...also coil lines....may be you can strip your interior, and get a FRP bucket seat and harness...yea..thats abt 10k already...but it'll be fully ready to attack any track in Aus..N1 style..

riceball
19-11-2007, 02:27 PM
if i were you, i will spend most on balancing the car...
and lil gain on power stuff...
2.5 inch is more than enough for k20a...
you can spend on a good set of suspension, smth like Aragusta, ohlins - with canister...plus all busing, and sway bars, A arm, upper, lower, camber, rear tie, roll cage, weldspot.. full exhaust, headgasket, and keep the std airbox but change the filter...also coil lines....may be you can strip your interior, and get a FRP bucket seat and harness...yea..thats abt 10k already...but it'll be fully ready to attack any track in Aus..N1 style..

You can't keep a stock airbox for a egk20a swap its just impractical and 2.5" is not enough for a k series. Been there done that and 3" gives you alot more power throughout the whole power band. If you don't believe me ask all the other k swap owners on here.

SLOWEGG
19-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Go with 3" exhaust, you will notice a big difference over the 2.5".

EGBOY
19-11-2007, 04:11 PM
if i were in your position, (if motor isn't in) then rebuild internals, high comp it and do it properly.. and definatley go 3" exhaust..
even k24 bottom end.. loads more torgue! "P

freewilly
20-11-2007, 07:32 AM
engine in and wont mind taking it out at all cos its still sitting in garage..
3" is the way 2 go..

NA all the way...car is for track btw...
its street driven but will be given some trackwork(few times a year if all goes well)

got BC racing spec coilovers already...
not stripping it btw...got a few lazy mates that have lost license or not got it..LOL

cars semi spotwelded already (uncles a welder/fencemaker/metal factory worker)

so i guess its internals now?what internals?ideas?

EG5
20-11-2007, 09:07 AM
is this JDM K20A or K20A2 AUDM ?
You might wanna invest on a set of RBC - euro R jdm intake manifold and bigger Throttle body ?

todaek9
20-11-2007, 07:28 PM
ohh....2.5" and std box is not good enough...ic...

GTRVspec95
22-11-2007, 09:15 PM
engine in and wont mind taking it out at all cos its still sitting in garage..
3" is the way 2 go..

NA all the way...car is for track btw...
its street driven but will be given some trackwork(few times a year if all goes well)

got BC racing spec coilovers already...
not stripping it btw...got a few lazy mates that have lost license or not got it..LOL

cars semi spotwelded already (uncles a welder/fencemaker/metal factory worker)

so i guess its internals now?what internals?ideas?

If you want to go track I'd go down the suspension/bracing/stopping path ...

No point having uber power and not be able to put it to use at the wheels or hold corner speed because your car is as loose as a 16 year old schoolie.

Your K should produce good power to weight already in an EG so a few light engine mods on it now and you can come back to it when you learn the track :thumbsup:

TODA AU
22-11-2007, 09:39 PM
If you've got $10K to spend & you've already got your exhaust & K-Pro organised,
Have you thought about having your engine overhauled to perform better?
On your budget you could get a fairly comprehensive engine overhaul (incl tuning)
& since you've got a number of lazy mates weighing your car down, you'll probably need every bit of power you can get.
Sure, weld the chassis etc...
But remember, it's seamless grunt that makes you smile when there no one else around to see...

BADHBT
22-11-2007, 10:17 PM
10k, is alot of money

i suggest to ask some one who has done it... asking for suggestions is more like letting someone else mod your car for you.

BADHBT
22-11-2007, 10:31 PM
bang for buck
any one that complains with a 15kw gain shud be run over!

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13769&highlight=badhbt
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78821