PDA

View Full Version : S2000 Roof care/cleaning advice needed

BlueBeast
20-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Searched but couldn't find anything specific relating to care and cleaning of the canvas roof.
After a while the roof looks a bit tired and unlike the metal surfaces which can be kept looking good with polishing, I have no clue on how to do the same for the roof.
Would appreciate advice from anyone who'se been able to keep their roof looking good. Cheers.

euroasia
20-11-2007, 12:19 PM
i think it's called 303 protectant.
It's a cleaning/maintainence product that is a popular response whenever the topic of the s2000's roof comes into discussion. I think it's apparently available from boating places or places that would stock boat maintainence products.

BlueBeast
20-11-2007, 12:48 PM
i think it's called 303 protectant.
It's a cleaning/maintainence product that is a popular response whenever the topic of the s2000's roof comes into discussion. I think it's apparently available from boating places or places that would stock boat maintainence products.

Thanks I'll check that out....... now where's that nearest boat place!

aaronng
20-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Autobarn sells 303 as well. Supercheap and Repco don't sell it.

Zilli
20-11-2007, 04:28 PM
another product ive used as a cleaning agent is by mothers, and it is a particular vynil roof cleaner, it does work, but it just seems to be a concentrated untra sudsy washing solution. you spray it on as you're w3ashing then suds up with a sponge...

This was an a late model MX5 though...

vtek
20-11-2007, 06:02 PM
are these products uv protected?

MRK-01
20-11-2007, 10:38 PM
The Aerospace 303 protectant from Autobahn is UV and weather "resistant".

You need to appy it after you wash the car and roof. Make sure you take care when sparying this stuff on the roof as it will leave an oily residue on your windows. I would make sure all the windows are covered prior.

I used this on my old tired roof and it came up briliant. Since I have replaced my roof, I have put the same stuff onto the new roof to protect it.

It is good stuff, even used by our US counterparts.

Note...Use an old white towel to rub it in to se how much crap is getting cleaned out..!!

aaronng
20-11-2007, 10:44 PM
303 is good. You also pay for it. A 250ml bottle is $17 or so. Pretty pricey when the shitty Armorall is only $5-6 for the same 250ml.

I like 303 so much that I buy them in 500ml bottles.

vtek
20-11-2007, 10:56 PM
303 is going into my car care collection along with all my meguires gear.

BlueBeast
21-11-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for sharing all that experience guys, advice much appreciated.

aaronng
21-11-2007, 12:41 PM
One thing I like about 303 is that you can use it on the interior as well without blinding yourself with the reflections in sunlight. If you find it too shiny, just wipe it down a bit with a clean soft cotton cloth and it becomes matte, while still leaving protection!

dragons2k
21-11-2007, 03:53 PM
Double check if 303 will work with canvas roof... im using raggtop brand from USA.

EuroAccord13
21-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I tried 303 on the MX5's roof, it revitalised the faded look.....

Been loving it since!

AONE!
22-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Check out a few honda dealers, there is a plastic glass cleaner that is available, from memory its around the $25 mark..

Hope that helps!

ludecrs
22-11-2007, 10:31 PM
My AP2 roof arrived today.

****ing mint condition. schmick as. So happy!! hahahahahaha.

EDIT: Silly typos.

vtek
22-11-2007, 10:50 PM
dont laugh just yet haha.. buying the Ap2 is the easy part..

ludecrs
22-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm getting it installed for free / cheap by a mate who is hving his done by an investor in his company.

They are importing 2 relocator kits for us, and will fit them for us, as the yare professional auto trimmers.

imar
14-01-2008, 01:05 AM
So can anyone confirm if the 303 is ok to use on the Canvas tops from topsonline.com ? Or should i just order the Ragg stuff ?

DNTBLO_S2k
14-01-2008, 07:28 AM
just go to autobarn and get it, its great stuff works really good

aaronng
14-01-2008, 08:24 AM
So can anyone confirm if the 303 is ok to use on the Canvas tops from topsonline.com ? Or should i just order the Ragg stuff ?
Try both and let us know? :)

NVD52K
14-01-2008, 10:38 AM
autobarn has it although there s another product that i have tried recently which is awash for the roof from mothers

amirul
14-01-2008, 03:00 PM
cool, i was wondering how can i make mine look fresh.

espacially sitting under summer heats............

twofake
22-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Double check if 303 will work with canvas roof... im using raggtop brand from USA.
Hi Dragons2k,
I have a 2000 model S2000 so is my roof vinyl or canvas? or is it vinyl that looks like canvas? Which Ragg Topp product are you using? Is it the Vinyl protector or the fabric protector and where do you buy the Ragg Topp stuff from?
Thanks

irvinchua
23-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Searched but couldn't find anything specific relating to care and cleaning of the canvas roof.
After a while the roof looks a bit tired and unlike the metal surfaces which can be kept looking good with polishing, I have no clue on how to do the same for the roof.
Would appreciate advice from anyone who'se been able to keep their roof looking good. Cheers.

303 comes in 2 versions. Vinyl and canvas. Please make sure that you have the right one. The stock roof on our S2000 is vinyl. The texturing makes it feel like canvas. You should be buying the blue box and not the green box. The green box has a picture of an MX5 on it and is for canvas so it is irrelevant for our cars.
In the blue box will 2 bottles, one is a cleaner and the other is the protectant. Just read the instructions prior to use and get a long-reach soft bristle brush and a hose. I do it at the DIY commercial car wash place near my house.

Therefore, you should get bang for your buck as you are able to use the product on both the roof, dash and select sections on the interior. Bear in mind as some interior panels are leather.

303 is a great product and using it on my roof has restored its original color. It looks deep black. I have recently used Meguiars Scratch X on the rear window inside and out and then finished the outside of the window with 303 Vinyl Protectant. It's very clear now, no more cloudy residue.

twofake
23-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Gee thanks for the advice.All this time I thought the roof was canvas until I asked about Ragg Topp from USA and they told me that I had a vinyl roof. I was looking for Ragg Topp because last week I went to Bias Boating looking for "303" but they had never heard of it. I then went to Autobarn (Virginia in Brisbane) and they could only sell me leather cleaner (the Meguiars foaming one that I read that Ludecrs recommends to keep the seats looking good). The Autobarn person said that they had nothing for the roof of the S2000 and to go to Honda. I think the Autobarn man needs some education (he needs to read the OzHonda site!).
Anyway, I will keep looking for this 303 and thanks for the advice on the rear window as I now am totally reliant on my windows when reversing with the roof up as it is like looking through milk!:p

F20C
24-05-2009, 04:06 AM
303 comes in 2 versions. Vinyl and canvas. Please make sure that you have the right one. The stock roof on our S2000 is vinyl. The texturing makes it feel like canvas. You should be buying the blue box and not the green box. The green box has a picture of an MX5 on it and is for canvas so it is irrelevant for our cars.
In the blue box will 2 bottles, one is a cleaner and the other is the protectant. Just read the instructions prior to use and get a long-reach soft bristle brush and a hose. I do it at the DIY commercial car wash place near my house.

Therefore, you should get bang for your buck as you are able to use the product on both the roof, dash and select sections on the interior. Bear in mind as some interior panels are leather.

303 is a great product and using it on my roof has restored its original color. It looks deep black. I have recently used Meguiars Scratch X on the rear window inside and out and then finished the outside of the window with 303 Vinyl Protectant. It's very clear now, no more cloudy residue.

is the Meguiars Scratch X sold at autobarn also? I've got to go buy this asap :) lol.

irvinchua
25-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, I bought my Scratch X at Autobarn. K-Mart carries it too. For your rear window, you want to use Plastic X and not Scratch X.

Plastic X is used for all plastic surfaces to restore their clarity. Scratch X is used on paintwork to reduce the visibility of swirl marks and other light and minor paint imperfections.

Some people claim that it does not work well, but for me it works very well. I apply it inside and out, outside being much much easier. The result is a very clear rear plastic window.

Mind you, being a 9 year old car, it's got swirl marks on the rear plastic window that is clearly visible but Plastic X makes it very clear without the cloudiness.

F20C
25-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Thanks dude ima go buy them tomorrow maybe lol. their water protectant yeah?

papa_
25-05-2009, 08:02 AM
heres a wevsite dedicated to detailing a s2000

has helped me out a thousand times
http://thedetailinghandbook.com/Convertible_Top_Care.aspx

S2kane
05-06-2009, 11:07 AM
303 Aerospace Protectant.. is this what everyone is using?? or is it different??

DNTBLO_S2k
05-06-2009, 12:53 PM
yeh mate thats the one. 303 Aerospace Protectant..

Uncle George
07-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Our softtop is vinyl?

F20C
07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
yeah.

twofake
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Our softtop is vinyl?
Hi Uncle George,
I was going to order Ragg Topp from USA but went to Autobarn and bought a 473 mL bottle of Aerospace 303 Protectant for about $27.00 and used it yesterday. It looks like Armoral but does not leave that grease everywhere.
You clean you roof and let it dry and then apply this .You spray it on but watch out as it runs right off so keep a rag handy to stop it spilling over. Then you wipe it all off so that there is no white look.Today my roof is blacker than yesterday. The fact that it protects against UV is a huge bonus as that is what wrecks the roofs.(along with opening and closing the roof).:thumbsup:
I still need that Scratch X to try next.