PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen replacement with rain sensor

one4spl
21-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I've got an Accord Euro Luxury with rain sensing wipers, and the windscreen has a crack in it.

I've been quoted $440 by O'Briens, however all the other shops (Novus, Instant, etc) are quoting $950-$1550 for a genuine screen with a new genuine sensor attached.

O'Briens say that the sensor will work perfectly on their screen....

Should I pay the extra $500? Has anyone replaced the screen in their Luxury... was it cheap... did the wipers still work the way they used to?

XOXO

Luke

aaronng
21-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Moving to the Accord Euro section.

tony1234
21-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I've got an Accord Euro Luxury with rain sensing wipers, and the windscreen has a crack in it.

I've been quoted $440 by O'Briens, however all the other shops (Novus, Instant, etc) are quoting $950-$1550 for a genuine screen with a new genuine sensor attached.

O'Briens say that the sensor will work perfectly on their screen....

Should I pay the extra $500? Has anyone replaced the screen in their Luxury... was it cheap... did the wipers still work the way they used to?

XOXO

Luke
If O'Briens are saying it'll work(can't see why it wouldn't)just ask for a guarantee from them in writing if you're not sure.

LXRY
21-11-2007, 09:03 PM
If O'Briens are saying it'll work(can't see why it wouldn't)just ask for a guarantee from them in writing if you're not sure.

Yep.....I second that :thumbsup:

one4spl
22-11-2007, 06:06 AM
Thanks guys.

I think thats what were going with. Shall report back in a few days when its done.

EUR003act
22-11-2007, 06:05 PM
thats why i pay an extra $9 a year for windscreen insurance! lol
covers me for one windscreen replacement without affecting no claim bonus or premiums!

LXRY
22-11-2007, 06:39 PM
thats why i pay an extra $9 a year for windscreen insurance! lol
covers me for one windscreen replacement without affecting no claim bonus or premiums!

Gotta get me one of those ;)

aaronng
22-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Just car doesn't have that option though....

one4spl
23-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Neither does RACQ (CGU) that we're with.

Suncorp used to, but from memory if you had a 'normal' car with a $200ish windscreen it wasnt worth the cost unless you broke more than one sceen in two years.

Unkie
23-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I got my windscreen replaced (TWICE!) for less than $200 installed each time, and that includues the rain sensor lens (the actual electronic sensor module is attached to the roofline of the car and clips onto the lens thats stuck on the windscreen).

And its a legit windscreen too (not genuine honda though)... if you're thinking its a counterfeit backyard job :P

The sensor works alright, though not as accurately as originally, but thats coz the installer had no idea... different story altogether there

one4spl
24-11-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm sitting in O'Brien's Underwood waiting room watching the new screen being fitted... look to be doing a good job,and dont mind me watching.

Their waiting room is sweet-as. LCD tv, coffee, internet, current (*gasp*) magazines... even car and bike ones not just Gardening Australia...

LXRY
24-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Hehe sounds good, good luck..........;)

one4spl
24-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Well, its done and the rain sensor works as well at it ever did.. YAY!:thumbsup:

Conveniently its been raining on and off all day and its got a good work out.

They do NOT replace the sensor itself, but the windscreen does come with a infra-red lens bonded to it with what looks like silicone. The sensor then clips to that lens.

Anyone whos charging $1000+ to do a windscreen on a Lux is ripping you off. Do not buy the story i was told (several times) that the sensor wont work on a non-genuine screen. You definitely do need a special screen, but the $439 (fitted) O'Briens one works and looks fine. Its got the graduated tint, black mask and sensor lens just like the OEM one.

Thanks for your help guys!:cool:

snYpz
26-11-2007, 09:54 PM
cheers one4spl for posting updates! congrats on the good buy! =)