PDA

View Full Version : Installing Comptech Icebox

Lukey13
21-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Well, today my Comptech Icebox arrived.

Part way through the installation I'm seriously considering putting the car back together and taking it to a mechanic. I always end up hating these fiddly type jobs especially when I know my time is quite valuable these days. Geez, for $100 it would've been easier (and cheaper) to pay a mechanic to do it.

Anyway, it seems that the Comptech lid for the intake box doesn't even fit neatly on the bottom half. Of the four screws that hold it on I can only get the front two on... not good. And how the hell do you get that tightening spring back on the intake tubing once you put the new box lid on?

I've got the bumper half off and will leave it for tomorrow night. Hopefully it'll be easy tomorrow and I'll be able to get my car back together in time for Friday when I need it!!

yfin
21-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Anyway, it seems that the Comptech lid for the intake box doesn't even fit neatly on the bottom half. Of the four screws that hold it on I can only get the front two on... not good. And how the hell do you get that tightening spring back on the intake tubing once you put the new box lid on?

I've got the bumper half off and will leave it for tomorrow night. Hopefully it'll be easy tomorrow and I'll be able to get my car back together in time for Friday when I need it!!

Here is a tip for you - you know those Comptech stainless "spaces" (not sure if that is the correct word for them) that go into the holes in the lid? Remove those and screw down the lid without them. The lid will screw down easily that way and the box is still sealed nicely.

After a few weeks put the spaces back in. After a few weeks the lid softens a little and screwing the lid down is easy.

As for the tightening spring - if you have problems just remove the spring. You don't need it. Just pull the hose onto the comptech opening. It should go just over half way (that is enough).

LXRY
21-11-2007, 08:56 PM
Congrats on the icebox Lukey13

*drooling of envy

........did it come with instructions ? Sorry can't help out with this one but I'm sure someone in this forum knows something about the install, have you tried a search in the diy section, or even youtube (search TSX comptech icebox diy) hope this helps ;)

aaronng
21-11-2007, 10:02 PM
The spring thing is easy. Just use 2 long nose pliers.
Be careful not to snap the airbox bolts, they are quite fragile.

J-TODA
22-11-2007, 12:28 AM
haha man u should really save up that $100 dollars and spend elsewhere...
esp when uve already got the front bar off... HAHA that was the hard part when lilwilliam and my mates help to install my comptech icebox...

for the spring...jst used one screwdriver...and wedged it off..being careful not to puncture the intake piping...

bt basically after u remove the front bar... remove stock airbox..then piping + resonator box.. after that is all done... jst fit in the new intake system.... aftermarket piping + airbox.. and bracket...zip tie... etc to hold it in place...

as i recall one of the members on here,helped another member the comptech intake system at a certain shopping centre carpark..

heres a link to the DIY that Leon (bustersonic12) wrote up \

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48750&highlight=comptech

...that we used...hopefully it will help u in installing ur comptech intake :) welcome to the club HAHA!! ;)

tony1234
22-11-2007, 06:29 AM
A bit off topic.I'm thinking of getting the Icebox.Those of you that have it installed what's it like?Do you lose any power down low,say under 3k compared to the stock airbox?

sodaz
22-11-2007, 06:41 AM
A bit off topic.I'm thinking of getting the Icebox.Those of you that have it installed what's it like?Do you lose any power down low,say under 3k compared to the stock airbox?

I had the Comptech icebox before and you get much better throttle response throughout the rev range and the car revs faster too. There's a slight loss of power at the very bottom (probably from the larger lid) but it's not really noticeable. It's a lot better than the stock airbox imo. Noise wise it's close to stock if you drive slow with a much better growl when you give it some stick.

Cheers!

snYpz
22-11-2007, 07:35 AM
I had the Comptech icebox before and you get much better throttle response throughout the rev range and the car revs faster too. There's a slight loss of power at the very bottom (probably from the larger lid) but it's not really noticeable. It's a lot better than the stock airbox imo. Noise wise it's close to stock if you drive slow with a much better growl when you give it some stick.

Cheers!

Ook. I thought the comptech improves response down low whereas other intakes tend to lose down low and gains at higher rev ranges.

Anyways, i cant wait to get mine installed along with my tein ss, whiteline rsb and ingalls rear camber. Cant wait!! :D

Lukey13
22-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Comptech Icebox now installed.

Just got back from my first test drive with it on....

snYpz
22-11-2007, 08:16 PM

so how'd it go? any improvements noticed with butt dyno? :P
cant wait to get mine done after exams!! :D

J-TODA
22-11-2007, 09:21 PM
hahaha im sure he loved it.. all i know is that after we finished doing mine at around 3am.. went for test drive full car...

all u see is a massive smile on my face HAHA!!

LXRY
22-11-2007, 10:34 PM

I like happy endings..................:)

killua888
22-11-2007, 11:24 PM
hahaha, icebox is good:D

congrats on the purchase:thumbsup:

i remember the first time i drove it with the icebox on it was heaps better and it still makes me happy now:D

i didn't remove the front bar at all when installing it but, if you loosen everything and take the wheel out then u can jiggle it out in like 30 secs.

Lukey13
23-11-2007, 06:39 AM
My initial impressions from the Icebox from a quick drive:

* Much smoother at low revs and less prone to DBW throttle jerkiness (I believe this is due to the loss of low torque). This could be explained as a kind-of dullness in throttle response compared to the razor-sharpness of the usual throttle response. This seems to result in more throttle being used than usual.

* Maybe a little bit quicker through some parts of the rev-range as I was getting some noticeable torque steer still at times.

* Revs increase maybe a little bit quicker than before, but this is less noticeable than I thought it would be.

* Noise is MUCH louder than I thought it would be. NVH has definitely increased and there is a very noticeable growl from the intake now. I suspect it's quite an addictive growl though. VTEC doesn't sound as loud as I thought it would. It's probably more in the mid-range with full throttle that the noise is much louder than usual (where the standard intake was virtually silent).

On an aside, if the other Euro (proper) CAIs are much louder than the Icebox I'd seriously warn people who wish to keep their car reasonably quiet to consider them carefully.

So I am indeed impressed by the Icebox and would recommend it mainly on the basis that it makes the Euro sound much "tougher" without being too loud. :thumbsup::honda:

aaronng
23-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Hehe, come and listen to my intake. I guarantee your ears will ring.

EuroAccord13
23-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Good review Lukey13...Glad you like the CompTech, when I installed it for another member here... You do pay for the quality of the system...

Hehe, come and listen to my intake. I guarantee your ears will ring.

Heeheehee.. Come listen to mine when you return... I will make your whole body shake! :D

K&N Typhoon Intake + Apexi Power Intake = "What did you say? I can't hear you!"

power_of_dreams
20-05-2008, 09:28 PM
comptech icebox fits all euro models 03-08?

aaronng
20-05-2008, 10:03 PM
comptech icebox fits all euro models 03-08?

Yes, will fit all of the 1st gen Euros.

drftr
30-05-2008, 08:04 PM
anyone know of any places that stocks the icebox? cant seem to find any on ebay or some of the suppliers here

Suntzu
31-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Sticks? you lost me. i got mine from ebay dude.

drftr
31-05-2008, 07:25 AM
stocks sorry, had a look on ebay but had no luck finding one

tony1234
31-05-2008, 09:25 AM
stocks sorry, had a look on ebay but had no luck finding one
I got mine from here.http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=45315&cat=0&page= Good supplier,nice and quick too.:thumbsup:

drftr
31-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I got mine from here.http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=45315&cat=0&page= Good supplier,nice and quick too.:thumbsup:

hey thanks for that tony, fingercrossed that they have some :thumbsup:

power_of_dreams
27-09-2008, 05:52 PM
just installed my icebox, thought i'd give me two cents.

fairly hot day today so not sure how much that would affect the situation.
Im running the stock comptech foam filter at the moment.

Anyhow, the noise is a tad louder and acceleration does feel smoother (possible placebo effect?) Punch and throttle response seems a bit better, although the other day when i put bp ultimate in my car before I had the icebox I must say that felt more responsive. I am a regular V-power user for economy reasons but I will test bp ultimate with the icebox soon. Install was about 2 hours with front bar off, not too many problems though the second nut of the reasonator was tricky. I was expecting a little bit more, put am happy with the end result.

Crapdaz
28-09-2008, 08:11 AM
lol nice work, where's the photos of your pride and joy?

anyhow, shell v-power sux donkeys balls.
BP ult + Mobil 8000 all the way.

tony1234
28-09-2008, 09:34 AM
just installed my icebox, thought i'd give me two cents.

fairly hot day today so not sure how much that would affect the situation.
Im running the stock comptech foam filter at the moment.

Anyhow, the noise is a tad louder and acceleration does feel smoother (possible placebo effect?) Punch and throttle response seems a bit better, although the other day when i put bp ultimate in my car before I had the icebox I must say that felt more responsive. I am a regular V-power user for economy reasons but I will test bp ultimate with the icebox soon. Install was about 2 hours with front bar off, not too many problems though the second nut of the reasonator was tricky. I was expecting a little bit more, put am happy with the end result.
Install a K&N panel filter instead of the crappy foam one they supply.you'll notice a bit more improvement in power/torque.

Suntzu
28-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Ive done Fujita CAI - the Comptech IceBox - Comptech Icebox and K&N filter.

Im keeping the latter on as its the best performance/noise compromise.

power_of_dreams
28-09-2008, 02:18 PM
lol nice work, where's the photos of your pride and joy?

anyhow, shell v-power sux donkeys balls.
BP ult + Mobil 8000 all the way.

im sure you all know what the icebox looks like:cool:

v-power has epic economy, im waiting on emptying my current tank so I can get the stats.

Crapdaz
28-09-2008, 04:04 PM
well when i used v power it only got max 450km.

power_of_dreams
28-09-2008, 08:29 PM
well when i used v power it only got max 450km.

mods at the time?

Crapdaz
29-09-2008, 07:44 AM
no mods when i used vpower and bp.

and mods with using BP and Mobil.
I/H/E, Pulleys, IM gaskets.

vte18c
29-09-2008, 08:10 AM
I recently installed the comptech icebox, i wasnt convinced about the filter element provided and it didn't really seem to fit properly with the comptech lid so I stayed with the stock filter.. planning to buy K&N soon.

aaronng
29-09-2008, 09:53 AM
no mods when i used vpower and bp.

and mods with using BP and Mobil.
I/H/E, Pulleys, IM gaskets.

L/100km?

Crapdaz
29-09-2008, 10:27 AM
L/100km?
Assuming benefit of the doubt that the fuel gets good mileage.

when i used vpower/vpower racing it got about 430 and light came on, so add another say 70km to it for full tank.

500km/65litre = 13litres/100.

Caltex had gotten extra 50-75km ontop of that.

575km/65litres = 11.3litres/100

Mobil/BP
For me averaged around 600-700km/65litres

Av 650km/65litres = 10L/100km

aaronng
29-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Assuming benefit of the doubt that the fuel gets good mileage.

when i used vpower/vpower racing it got about 430 and light came on, so add another say 70km to it for full tank.

500km/65litre = 13litres/100.

Caltex had gotten extra 50-75km ontop of that.

575km/65litres = 11.3litres/100

Mobil/BP
For me averaged around 600-700km/65litres

Av 650km/65litres = 10L/100km

Can't assume that way because each pump will have a different cut off level. Also, the light comes on earlier if you are on a slanted road or had just given it a fang. Plus, you can't estimate the number of kms left in the tank after the light has come on because it varies with the varying fuel consumption rates that you are getting with different brands of fuel.

I've tested all 4 using the L/100km method over my first 3 years of ownership and they all come up to be very similar in L/100km without any assumptions/guessing.

Crapdaz
29-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Can't assume that way because each pump will have a different cut off level. Also, the light comes on earlier if you are on a slanted road or had just given it a fang. Plus, you can't estimate the number of kms left in the tank after the light has come on because it varies with the varying fuel consumption rates that you are getting with different brands of fuel.

I've tested all 4 using the L/100km method over my first 3 years of ownership and they all come up to be very similar in L/100km without any assumptions/guessing.

Did you drive until it's almost empty to fill up?

and i average fill up 55litres. <-- fill up when light goes on normally.
So my figures should really calculate by how much i use.

power_of_dreams
29-09-2008, 12:44 PM

So what's the best way to calculate then?

m2h
29-09-2008, 01:39 PM
I have always got this question in my mind, If buying the Ice box, why not just using the stock airbox replace a high flow pannel filter and remove the air resonator ? Since the resonator removal is the main part of the ice box and mugen box isn't it? If saying they got larger lid, then isn't it the TB inlet are just the same anyway ? Just want to clear my mind before i getting upgrade. Thanks for all answers :)

aaronng
29-09-2008, 02:43 PM
So what's the best way to calculate then?

Fill up to full at Station A, drive a few hundred kms, fill up to full at Station A again, same pump if possible. Divide the number of litres by number of kms, multiplied by 100 to give L/100km.

Drive till light comes up, fill up with the next brand til full and repeat again.

vte18c
29-09-2008, 02:57 PM
I have always got this question in my mind, If buying the Ice box, why not just using the stock airbox replace a high flow pannel filter and remove the air resonator ? Since the resonator removal is the main part of the ice box and mugen box isn't it? If saying they got larger lid, then isn't it the TB inlet are just the same anyway ? Just want to clear my mind before i getting upgrade. Thanks for all answers :)

Yeah it would be nice to see some actual dyno comparisons between stock box/resonator removed/k&n vs the comptech box. Personally I feel like the loss of down low torque out weighs the slight top end improvement, I might even go back to the stock airbox lid.

Crapdaz
29-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Fill up to full at Station A, drive a few hundred kms, fill up to full at Station A again, same pump if possible. Divide the number of litres by number of kms, multiplied by 100 to give L/100km.

Drive till light comes up, fill up with the next brand til full and repeat again.

Did you take a day off to do that?
or just on the weekend? haha

power_of_dreams
29-09-2008, 04:15 PM

Which number of litres though?