PDA

View Full Version : First near smash in 07 Civic

drunkntigr
22-11-2007, 10:46 PM
Totally shit myself today. Driving home on road, work mate in front and two cars ahead. For some reason the first car stops and delayed reaction by delayed reaction I slammed my breaks and ended upa few inches from the back of my mates camry.

Now the sound the breaks made was really weird, when I did so it make big clunk clunk noises and sounded like the breaks came off the car. Sounded like they went on then off, it did take me a lot longer to stop this time than normal.

I'm assuming this is ABS? And the on off sound of the breaks is the pumps and the computer adjusting the break distribution so that I break in a straight line and that my wheels don't lock?

Does the standard civic have EBD, as I believe this was so, which is why I chose the civic over the mazda.

aaronng
23-11-2007, 12:47 AM
ABS has a grinding feeling that you can feel through your brake pedal.

IAMVTEC
23-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Then that means I've ABS'd at least 10 times.

EK4R
23-11-2007, 01:52 AM
^^ lol or ur brake are gone and ur disc are warped and its just vibrating when you step on it

DropBear
23-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Yep, that's the ABS - saved my ar$e many a time. Freaked out the first time they kicked in, much the same situation as your's - at the time I don't know what freaked me out more, the fact that I nearly ran up the back of someone braking suddenly - or hearing the sound of the ABS engaging! Ha!

Good to hear you got out of it unscathed though mate.

Joele
23-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Heard (and I swear you can fell it through the pedal) the ABS once now.. very weird.. ;-)

cracker
23-11-2007, 10:46 AM
wooo yeahh abs life saver!

JaCe
23-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Yep that's ABS for you. It's a bit scary and it sounds like it's failing when it's actually activating!

IIRC the Civic has electronic brakeforce distribution.

dmx
23-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Totally shit myself today. Driving home on road, work mate in front and two cars ahead. For some reason the first car stops and delayed reaction by delayed reaction I slammed my breaks and ended upa few inches from the back of my mates camry.

Now the sound the breaks made was really weird, when I did so it make big clunk clunk noises and sounded like the breaks came off the car. Sounded like they went on then off, it did take me a lot longer to stop this time than normal.

I'm assuming this is ABS? And the on off sound of the breaks is the pumps and the computer adjusting the break distribution so that I break in a straight line and that my wheels don't lock?

Does the standard civic have EBD, as I believe this was so, which is why I chose the civic over the mazda.

yup. same as mine. thinked my brakes fall apart. congrats for ur first use of ABS ;)

PaZzMaN-R
23-11-2007, 07:34 PM
nub just popped his abs cherry.

ryanc
26-11-2007, 10:36 AM
lol so that's what it is

always wondered!!! felt so scary the first time (first day i got the car) hahaha

Red_EG4
26-11-2007, 01:44 PM
haha "ABS just kicked in y0!"
I'm surprised people don't know what it feels like, I guess it just tells me that most people do travel at safe speeds and distances so they never really need it.

DropBear
26-11-2007, 02:10 PM
haha "ABS just kicked in y0!"
I'm surprised people don't know what it feels like, I guess it just tells me that most people do travel at safe speeds and distances so they never really need it.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/HeWhoLaughs/ABSy0.jpg

:thumbsup:

nick_sixx
27-11-2007, 12:33 PM
had the same situation the other day, except the guy behind me ran into me and put ugly "commodore white" paint on the back of my black civic (with no abs haha), which, in turn, pushed me into the guy in front, scraping some "commodore red" onto my front bar

cracker
27-11-2007, 04:41 PM
you poor soul :(