PDA

View Full Version : Strange Sound from my car...Help!

evolution
23-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi,

Sorry this is a modified posting from the 'Other Hondas' area as it was suggested that I might get more response here.

I was wondering if any one here has encountered the following problem before on their rides.

A clocking sound, 'tock....tock......tock' when rolling at very low speed (5-15km/hr) or just before gradual stopping and starting off. No sound at normal speeds or cornering at higher speeds.

My 06 Odyssey seems to have gotten this problem and it is irritating the hell out of me. Usually comes on hot days. The sound is coming in the general area of the front right wheel area.

I have lowered the car with Tanabe NF210 Springs(about 1 inch lower) with stock shocks and put in front/rear Anti-roll bars, plus upgraded the front brakes to aftermarket 4 potters with slotted discs. Also have front and rear camber kits running on 18" rims

I have a feeling that it is the Knuckle bearings that are causing the sound, as this was a known problem for ODCs in another country(in Singapore, actually, their ODCs are the same models as Oz). What I'm afraid of is if I bring it back to the dealership to check and they find it is really the knuckle bearings, they will try to say that because I have mod the suspension, the problem is not under warranty.

Anybody got any idea on what could be causing the sound and if it is really the knuckle bearings, can it be caused by the lowering of the suspension?

Thanks

JohnL
24-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Hmm, is the sound very regular but of increasing / decreasing frequency with speed changes? If so then I'd be suspicious of either the wheel bearings or a CV joint (more likely an outer one as these are worked harder than inner ones and are usually the first to go).

It might happen (be noticable) only at lower speeds because at higher speeds there is a lot of another noise that may drown it out? Or, there may be some harmonic or centripetal force at higher speeds that causes it to cease?

LXRY
24-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Ive had a cv joint knocking in my old car.........excactly as evolution explained

evolution
29-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks, for the replys guys, sound has gone away by itself, mechanic was commenting that it might have been stone chips / pebbles stuck in the grove of the tires.